View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 The Flux (again) 

Post Re: The Flux (again)
When a normal actor enters simulated space any parameters that lua can access should randomly be changed around over time and possibly revert back when the simulated space is left. Around a rift this would become much more noticeable, parameters would change constantly. (When simulation fields overlap their effect is not enhanced.)

For example, maybe entering a simulated space would effect the jetpack emitter and increase the burst size, making it so when it is activated the actor goes rocketing into a wall. Or, on the other hand, the burst size could be set to zero, basically rendering the jetpack useless. It could randomly change health, jetpack fuel, walkpaths, whatever.

You could have specialized support crystals.
Red support crystals could slowly feed red flux, increasing their size.
White crystals could improve the efficiency of the white flux, making and material they harvest more fruitful.

Red Flux could have Solar flares that increase in size along with the flux itself.

You could have a crystal flux that creates a small simulation field around it (used to attack and intrude) that does overlap with other fields, creating enhanced mutation fields. They could have a mutation attack of some sort, changing a random parameter of a non-flux actor, but they would be vulnerable to attack.

Last edited by CrazyMLC on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:44 am
Profile WWW

Cool faction idea mang. This faction would be something like distilled Protoss Archons to my Zerg-like Cordyc Amalgam... That said, I would like to suggest some stuff.

I like the idea of the white, red, purple, and brown fluxes described before. Although, the red flux should have a whiplike flare as MLC said... although not as big a whip as the one we have already (Bindweed). How about a 'medic' blue flux? Or are you gonna remove the possibility of them regenerating health as a means of balance?

...I'm starting to imagine it now. Darkstorms becoming Terrans (somewhat), Flux being distilled Protoss, and a kind of Zerglike faction, all ready to duke it out.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:59 am
Profile YIM WWW

Well, the flare would be more like a loop than a whip.
Particles would be shot out and draw back in.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:11 am
Profile WWW

How about a Flux that self-detonates and, in the process, sets GlobAccScalar to -0.1 or -<Whatever> to everything in a set radius?
It could be cool, if overpowered.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:56 am
Profile WWW

carriontrooper wrote:
How about a 'medic' blue flux? Or are you gonna remove the possibility of them regenerating health as a means of balance?

I was certainly planning on this. The only issue is that since everything in this faction is based off of a solid crystal that has to be destroyed, really their health is based off of their GibWoundLimit, rather than their numeric health. I'll probably have it so the health drops as they take damage just as an indicator of how damaged they are, but they should never actually die of their health reaching zero. Instead they'll always gib.

So the inherent issue here is that if I have a healer flux, they need to restore wounds to be useful. Right now this is impossible in CC. The best I can think of is that whatever does the "healing" actually just replaces the damaged Flux with a fresh one. In this faction, that wouldn't really pose any problems since none of these actors will have any kind of custom load out, so I could literally just swap one flux for another. Now that I think of this, perhaps this role would be better relegated to a support crystal.

carriontrooper wrote:
...I'm starting to imagine it now. Darkstorms becoming Terrans (somewhat), Flux being distilled Protoss, and a kind of Zerglike faction, all ready to duke it out.

Heh, yeah, I can't help but imagine some kind of "rivalry" between the factions. Though in reality, the Flux are just out to assimilate everything without discretion, and the DarkStorm, being a business first and foremost, is probably interested in the Flux only because they want to study them and somehow utilize this "simulated space."

CrazyMLC wrote:
You could have specialized support crystals.

Well, yeah, that's kind of the idea.

CrazyMLC wrote:
Well, the flare would be more like a loop than a whip.
Particles would be shot out and draw back in.

Hm, yeah, that would look cool.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:26 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Moderator

Alternatively you could give them no gibwoundlimit and instead luagib them if their health reaches <1

Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:34 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Darkstorm want them because they have hammerspace

obviously

Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:58 pm

Grif wrote:

obviously

Oh Grif, you card.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:18 pm
Profile YIM

Grif wrote:
This will allow them to make their weapons more compact, allowing for great advances in research and development. Compactness and carriable weight are some of the hardest things to ensure in weapon design.
Spoilers: sarcasm

Anyway,
p3lb0x wrote:
Alternatively you could give them no gibwoundlimit and instead luagib them if their health reaches <1
If you do this, then wouldn't the eventual build-up of wounds as emitters make lag unbearable late game for most computers?

Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

411570N3 wrote:
If you do this, then wouldn't the eventual build-up of wounds as emitters make lag unbearable late game for most computers?

As long as you're not putting obscene amounts of wounds on them (and since you're already healing them, you could just replace them), it should be fine.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:07 pm

If I understand correctly, the inability to die from wounds alone combined with the ability to heal leaves the possibility to sustain an arbitrarily high amount of wounds. A player with good enough planning to have every unit healed instead of dying will slowly accumulate wounds on-scene until the lag becomes unbearable or the game crashes.
Also, it doesn't take that many wounds to cause noticeable lag, so it the effect would eventuate rather quickly...

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

411570N3 wrote:
If I understand correctly, the inability to die from wounds alone combined with the ability to heal leaves the possibility to sustain an arbitrarily high amount of wounds.

Depends on how healing is done, was my point. If you just replace the actor, the wounds disappear.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:42 pm

Ah, fair enough; it would be marginally harder, but replacing the actor would work quite well, due to the fact that they won't be carrying weapons, etc.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:56 pm
Profile WWW

I'll just do it my way guys. If I can set it up to let the game handle damage and death cleanly, then I don't really need to make some Lua for it.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:02 pm
Profile YIM

Your old dark clone drop pod dug a big ass hole when it was landing why not a craft or something that makes a rift in the sky causing it to rain down crystals, It would need to be a high matter consuming task or so.The crystals could cause anomalies in there area that rip units apart and throw whats left around, expand the area the Flux can go, or they could act like a bunker buster and just in general smash the ♥♥♥♥ out of things.

Last edited by gtaiiilc on Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next