View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 The Flux (again) 
Forum Moderator

Post Re: The Flux (again)
Well that's weird. The particles Darlos is spawning with Lua and the ones I am making with the AEmitter are identical. Except the lua particles don't glow

edit: This may only be glowing MOPixels that don't glow while Lua spawned. brb, checking this

edit edit: CrazyMLC, that orb thingy doesn't lua spawn glows, it lua spawns AEmitters that spawn glows

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:05 pm

p3lb0x wrote:
Lua MOPixels don't glow

What?

I am making a mod in which pretty much half of the weapons use Lua to spawn glowing MOPs, and all of them work perfectly. Perfectly, I say.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

I got an error when I tried to spawn MOPixels in Lua, but that was a build ago.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:13 pm
Forum Moderator

Nvm guys, Darlos had a variable that disabled it

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:25 pm

More specifically: if you want to create some kind of object that isn't an actor or device, and you want it to hang around indefinitely, you have to specifically keep resetting its Age variable, or else it'll eventually just wink out of existance no matter what you do. I learned this when making the energy meters for my DarkStorm units. Problem is, I had my glow particles set to Age = 0, and apparently glows only work once Age > 0. So now I just have it set to 1 and it works fine.

Thanks goes to p3lb0x for helping me hammer this out. Now I can focus on the actual features.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:44 pm
Profile YIM
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Even with ToSettle and ToDelete = false?

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:49 pm

Grif wrote:
Even with ToSettle and ToDelete = false?

Yep. Screwy I know.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:09 am
Profile YIM

Any updates for us, Mr. Darlos?

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

I do hope you at least use the name What the Flux. It would be so glorious.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:05 pm
Profile WWW

Right now, I have the white flux successfully eating terrain and turning it into team funds, based off of the terrains strength. So tougher terrain is more valuable. Pretty awesome stuff. Now I just need to set them up to create new terrain. Also, I need to finish designing the rift crystal, and its acompanying rift. Should look trippy.

The only problem is the fact that gathering terrain as funds gets a lot more funds than regular gold gathering, and then you can use those funds to buy non-flux stuff. Not sure how to prevent that, besides checking all flux-team actors and eliminating any that aren't flux, which could be cumbersome. Spawning flux themselves will be accordingly more expensive.

Also, I'm not sure how to represent the flux's control area. Right now all I can think of is a big MOSParticle image, kind of like the point defense circle in DarkStorm. I guess it could also be a field of smaller elements, like sparkles.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:37 pm
Profile YIM

Darlos9D wrote:
Also, I'm not sure how to represent the flux's control area. Right now all I can think of is a big MOSParticle image, kind of like the point defense circle in DarkStorm. I guess it could also be a field of smaller elements, like sparkles.

Go for a filled translucent circle for the main body. For the border, I'm guessing you should try having a scaling circle that scales to reach each successive control crystal, from there you can divide the circle however you want it and draw a field of those smaller elements at each chosen point.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:59 pm

DSMK2 wrote:
Go for a filled translucent circle for the main body.
This basically requires a giant glow, since MOs don't have alpha settings. I'm not sure how much the game would like such a huge glow, but I suppose I could try.

DSMK2 wrote:
For the border, I'm guessing you should try having a scaling circle that scales to reach each successive control crystal, from there you can divide the circle however you want it and draw a field of those smaller elements at each chosen point.
I think you misunderstand how this works. The control zones don't change size. New rift/control crystals simply have their own control zone. So it'll be a bunch of overlapping circles, rather than one big one.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:17 pm
Profile YIM

Huge glows can be problematic at times, because they stop being visible as soon as the glowing object is out of the screen. Depending on the size of the area in question, you might be better off using lots of smaller glows, but they might be pretty hard to place properly. Or, you could go for a medium-sized glow in the center, some scattered glows within the area, and a glowing periphery. The latter could be done with other methods than glows, of course.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

Shook wrote:
Or, you could go for a medium-sized glow in the center, some scattered glows within the area, and a glowing periphery.

Atomic electron density style, perhaps?

Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:55 pm

Duh102 wrote:
Shook wrote:
Or, you could go for a medium-sized glow in the center, some scattered glows within the area, and a glowing periphery.

Atomic electron density style, perhaps?

Man, it could be pretty complicated if I wanted it to be...

Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:42 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next