View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 50  Next
 Ballistic Weapons: Mercenaries! ))AAL Discussion 
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Post Re: Ballistic Weapons: Mercenaries! ))AAL Discussion
Or that happens with the MPAM's energy blade you ♥♥♥♥ morons.

CC physics include inheriting parent velocity.

If you get any weapon with attached emitters moving rapidly, it will exhibit a trail and in this case just collide with the wall enough to destroy it.

Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:52 pm

Roy-G-Biv wrote:
I guess Data told numgun about alot of coding secrets.
Or maybe he got a beta version of B22.

i think he just basically told us he used inheritsvelocity = 1 and made it shoot some damn sharp particles, that come out at ~0 speed and live for not long at all. INHERITSVELOCITY IS NOT A SECRET AFAIK! ><
@grif: i hope he didnt use emitters for it though, or the lagspike will hurt me.
and why the hell would he work on a mod which he'd have to wait until B22 to release?!
[/incredulous rant]

data wouldnt really have "coding secrets", i dont think, at least not any huge ones in relation to modding. pros like numgun just mix all the known stuff into innovative masterpieces.

looking wonderful, though i can see no feet on the merc while he is falling, or in any of the katana shots really..
railgun looks flashtacular, though it probably should kill in one hit if its a railgun. at least one shot to the head, gosh :P if there was some way of making it go through walls without cutting holes in them id be all for it, but i dont really like terrain rape, so eh.
on the lightning gun, it is a cool concept, but the shots are damn ugly atm.. like, maybe it looks good in motion, but the standstill is an eyesore. maybe this is a weapon that deserves glow raep.

now, the HAMR. looks like it fires sprite rockets.. either they are going to rotate somehow or just look wrong flying at angles, clarification?
*sorry if any of this is wrong, just got up.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:01 am
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

He could have used emitters attached to the muzzleflash. That's a better method than always-on.

Also, of course Data doesn't have coding secrets.

Data is terrible at his own code. If he needs to make something he can't do directly, he just makes new variables and functionality to directly support it. He never ♥♥♥♥ around with his OWN code. He can just make new stuff.

It's that new code that enables modders to ♥♥♥♥ it up and THEN make what we want.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:03 am

Wow, that's interesting.
I've tried to make emitted particle follow, but it never worked for me.

I just didn't know about that variable :S

Good work Num, very nice accident ;)

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:07 am

Guys, it has nothing to do with inheritsVel. Its a plain sword that fires MOPixels. It works exatcly like the eradicator sword for the MPAM, except this time its much more awesome and balanced. And there are absolutely no lag spikes involved.

Also the railgun is being a pain in the arse and I do have a method of making it not harm terrain but still fire through walls. However, the amount of particles needed and the amount of mass makes this gun ridiculous to use. When you fire it, you fly miles away because of the GIANT recoil. In the teaser on the previous page I fired it at an optimal configuration I found. However it was not satisfying nor fun to use at all. The particles must be incredibly fast and the trails must be extremely long.

Now I'm trying to seek methods to bypass the recoil while trying to keep the wall phasing feature. And the wall phasing happens by using Seperation = -200 (200 pixels in the front of the guns muzzle is the area where the particles will spawn) on the Round's code.

I'm currently trying to use MOSR that instantly gib due to the force they are launched out of the gun. This would hopefully launch all the needed particles without recoil using InheritsVel = 1 so the particles absorb the speed of the fired MOSR and thus bypass the recoil. However I'm having some serious trouble trying to get them gib properly. I dont want to use instantly timed TDEs because they could render unheld items useless. And they lag more.

I'll probably try to add an emitter to it that instantly gibs it with a powerful kick.

The HAMR fires very heavy artillery shells that first smash and break anything with their raw force and then explode. Or if the fly at a high enough speed and collide with something really hard, it will explode sooner then.
Maybe I might make them impact explosives rather than timed, but I need to experiment which works better.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:28 am

Sounds complicated, good luck.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:33 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

A mass-based emitter timer seems like a bad idea; it could throw off the projectile.

Hmm.

Negative mass tracers work if you're not in the air, though I'm not sure if you're using the tracers for effects or anything.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:48 am

Grif wrote:
A mass-based emitter timer seems like a bad idea; it could throw off the projectile.

I don't see why it's not worth a try.
It is a conundrum though.

Perhaps you could give it a tracer round that has negative recoil?
That would counteract the recoil a bit, but could lead to you exploding...

Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:22 am

Grif wrote:

With low GibImpulseLimit and a very light emission, I think it would work fine.
Unless that particular thing also collides with other stuff.
I probably should have read the topic a little more extensively before posting. Oh well.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:42 am

Why not make it shoot a null particle of equal weight in the opposite direction to negate the recoil?

Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:01 am

... OR you can use
Code:
PushesEmitter = 0

Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:19 am

Heh, Im actually trying to avoid the tracer shot.
Mainly because it would mess up the firing sound.
And it doesnt give me the small delay before you can fire and you'd have 2 shots that would look uncool. And at times of heavy lag/slow down, its even possible to fire only 1 of the shots even if you set the firing rate to 999999999999999999.

Still havent tested the emitter thing, brb.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:58 am

you know, it's perfectly acceptable to get rid of the wall-shooting-through effect Numgun.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:13 am

Exalion wrote:
you know, it's perfectly acceptable to get rid of the wall-shooting-through effect Numgun.

NO!
IT IS NO' ASSEPTABLE!

Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:16 am

I have developed something that phases through walls like you want and hurts actors, I thought you might like to look at it:

yeah, it's a very half-assed attempt.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 50  Next