View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 The HM[WIP] Tau Mod (WH40K) - [Alpha Released: 01/05/09] 

Post Re: The HMWIP Tau Mod (WH40K)
NaXx wrote:

um....

I believe forgeworld already did a twin linked pulse carbine drone before...

2ndly, those versions of the carbine are specific to pathfinders,

The pathfinders include on there carbines, hardwired markerlight which is on the top, and a hard wired grenade launcher which is on the bottom http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn10 ... C02817.jpg

Here is a pulse carbine without the markerlights
http://bitzbarn.com/oscommerce/catalog/ ... arbine.JPG

Because we can't make the markerlight, grenade launcher, and pulse carbine ALL the same weapon, don't make the sprite include them all... All a pulse carbine is, is a shorter pulse rifle, and it says as much in both the codex and imperial armor. the ONLY exception, is that pathfinders SPECIFICALLY get a markerlight and grenade launcher mounted. if you get rid of the markerlight and grenade launcher it's the same length as a carbine already is, but its only as tall as a pulse rifle. The Carbine is to the pulse rifle as the uzi is to the assault rifle. what we keep finding, is carbines with all the extras added...

give me a minute let me find the imperial armor page I scanned.
Oh yes, and they have a thermic sight, how could I forget something so not reflected in the rules or gameplay in any way given that this doesn't help in night-fight due to GW laziness.

Also keep in mind that due to GW laziness, the carbines the firewarriors get are Identical to the ones pathfinders get model-wise, because they where to lazy to make a separate mold, AND the only carbine that looks different is on, the gun drone, which STILL includes the grenade launcher for NO REASON.

LAZINESS I SAY!

Attachment:
File comment: Imperial armor READ IT and look at the official size comparisons.
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg [ 277.58 KiB | Viewed 8471 times ]
(includes carbine shown WITH grenade launcher and thermal scope.)

---EDIT

Also do note that the only reason that the carbine's MODEL is that large is because they can't make it smaller in plastic or metal. Also note that if fire-warriors where that tall, space marine models should be almost double, and a land-raider would be laptop size. The models in 40K tabletop, and thus in DoW, are not to scale.

the pulse rifle and larger are the only tau weapons that are to scale with the models they accompany, excepting of course the gun drone.

It boils down to laziness and Tabletop playability. I suppose though we never actually agreed on which scale we're using, book scale, or model scale. I suppose this is in part my fault as I never brought it up.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I know your not supposed to double-post but I think this should be separate.

4 muzzle flashes made from bits in the mod that are already there (invert-colors, pallet, add glow)

all you do for multiple muzle flashes is Multiple frames. thats it.

I Opted out on the huge beam because I realized... you can't see a laser beam unless its through smoke, or the movie 'knowing' (IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR!)

It now just shoots super fast balls of glow that look like molten metal spray off of what it hits. you know, like what happens when you take a torch or something to metal how you get the little orange beads...

doing that got rid of 90% of the ugly, and then I managed to put the ugly back in by creating a muzzleflash when I know I can't sprite.

Attachment:
Fusion.rte.rar [361.67 KiB]
Downloaded 297 times
Updated.

I'm done!

I can't stand to do this for to long and have demand.... Are you seriously planing on having this finished in 3 days?! your mad!

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I plan on this release to be done in 3 days.
And I'm a student too, this is term break for me...
Anyway, we'll still have TONNES to do after that...
Like I'm thinking half a dozen releases minimum 'til final release.
Also, why would that be theft NaXx?

Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:23 pm
Profile WWW

NaxX, I like your color scheme for the pulse rifle, and I HATE your burst cannon. Just trying to be blunt.

The pulse rifle does look great, but, the colors don't match the rest of the tau that we've made... quite sad.

411570N3, Your pulse carbine... I said in a PM, how I feel.

make 2 carbines, with different sprites, one for the fire warriors that is JUST the carbine, the other for pathfinders with ALL the attachments, to quote myself in the PM...

Quote:
What I picture is the pathfinders only having the pathfinder equipment or rail rifle, which the pulse carbine, rather than switching weapons, you could right click, select fire (new option made in lua) and select your mode of fire, for a single shot, of either grenade or markerlight, and then auto-default back to carbine, which mean's you'd have to manually select for every shot fired, which defeats the need to control RoF, Otherwise, firewarriors with carbines, don't have that option.

anyway, I gotta go..... I uploaded the fusion blaster i've made, it uses custom fireing sounds, custom muzzle flashes, a custom glow (a nice deep red) and a good amount of ammo... (that was what, earlyer today?)

Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:21 am
Profile YIM WWW

Hey everyone.

I saw on the front page all the stuff you wanted and got so excited I did a Pathfinder Tetra concept before reading the rest of the thread. I'm really keen on working with you guys so if you'd like, I'll work on the things that Miles listed that you want. Maybe even a priority list would be good just so that the coding guys can actually finish something and then move onto the next thing.

I'm new to spriting so do criteque.

Is there a place where all of the rest of the current sprites are held besides the first post?

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:37 am
Profile WWW

IronFistopheson, very good spriting, I've died some tries to sprite it :lol:

mILES, Ive tryed to re-colour a request of 411570N3...

Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:54 pm

IronFistopheson wrote:
Hey everyone.

I saw on the front page all the stuff you wanted and got so excited I did a Pathfinder Tetra concept before reading the rest of the thread. I'm really keen on working with you guys so if you'd like, I'll work on the things that Miles listed that you want. Maybe even a priority list would be good just so that the coding guys can actually finish something and then move onto the next thing.

I'm new to spriting so do criteque.

Is there a place where all of the rest of the current sprites are held besides the first post?

Based on those sprites, try to make bunker modules, or something. then we can have pre-placed drone sentry turrets, or sensor towers (which are equipped with markerlights ^_^) Now that markerlights have an actual use, Sentry turrets and such become WAY more useful,

Also I say to you, Make anything you want. Keep to Canon rules and descriptions, don't make ♥♥♥♥ up, and just make anything for the tau, even if It was already made, because we use what's best.

If your good at doing code, I know the fusion blaster I made can use better effects for firing, if you want to re-make the muzzle flashes for things feel free. Point is, make what you want to make, and we'll use whats best, and if you can't decide, make something we suggest.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Almost done on the release, just have to mess around with the Fusion Blaster a bit and I can release. =)

Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:38 pm
Profile WWW

411570N3 wrote:
Almost done on the release, just have to mess around with the Fusion Blaster a bit and I can release. =)

O Rly? Your actually doing something with it? What are you doing with it? you saw how multi-frame muzzle flashes work right?

Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Yeah, I suppose I could make a decent muzzle flash based on the codex but...
whatever, what I meant by "messing around" was: integrating into my file sorting system, adding offsets and balancing. I might make the laser visible and blue, to make it codex-ish.... but whatever...

Ugh, too much work, term break over. Expect a delay in release, but of course in return I give you this:
- It's no longer possible to kill yourself due to widelaserness.
- The circular glows are gone, but they looked pretty crappy anyways, I'll implement awesome glowy muzzleflashes when we can rotate screen effects.
- XV15 Jetpack is nice and blue
- Filesize ridiculously smaller, so many of the folders, .inis and files were redundant
- Load times ridiculously reduced, at least 300 lines of code deleted and/or optimised and that's a conservative estimate. I wouldn't be surprised at a 1000 line reduction...
- Nice offsets, holding weapons in both hands is always good for accuracy
- Implemented several values that weren't set to anything useful before
- Non laggy photon grenades, surely a thousand distracting emitters each emitting two thousand particles of smoke each is ridiculous... I think about a hundred and two hundred is more than enough...
All this in less than a week... I.... just need a little... more... time.... ugh.... so... much... work.... school.... term... break... over... T_T

Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:59 am
Profile WWW

411570N3 wrote:
Yeah, I suppose I could make a decent muzzle flash based on the codex but...
whatever, what I meant by "messing around" was: integrating into my file sorting system, adding offsets and balancing. I might make the laser visible and blue, to make it codex-ish.... but whatever...

Ugh, too much work, term break over. Expect a delay in release, but of course in return I give you this:
- It's no longer possible to kill yourself due to widelaserness.
- The circular glows are gone, but they looked pretty crappy anyways, I'll implement awesome glowy muzzleflashes when we can rotate screen effects.
- XV15 Jetpack is nice and blue
- Filesize ridiculously smaller, so many of the folders, .inis and files were redundant
- Load times ridiculously reduced, at least 300 lines of code deleted and/or optimised and that's a conservative estimate. I wouldn't be surprised at a 1000 line reduction...
- Nice offsets, holding weapons in both hands is always good for accuracy
- Implemented several values that weren't set to anything useful before
- Non laggy photon grenades, surely a thousand distracting emitters each emitting two thousand particles of smoke each is ridiculous... I think about a hundred and two hundred is more than enough...
All this in less than a week... I.... just need a little... more... time.... ugh.... so... much... work.... school.... term... break... over... T_T

I don't think the photon grenade needs smoke at all, you can remove it out right and just make it sparks.

also what variables did you add?

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:05 am
Profile YIM WWW

The thingy that makes the aim off more if you're not holding with two hands for example...
Also, what do you peoples think?
Fusion Blaster = Invisible except for very visible slag falling off the victim
or
Fusion Blaster = BLUE LASER BEAMS! Two two pixel wide laser beams, blue, with muzzleflash.

Either way it'd essentially be the same thing with different effects... anyway, this'd use the TDExplosive (same as the pulse weapons) gibs technique for widelasers, meaning that whilst I can't have different velocity particles it's impossible to mutilate yourself by simply moving very quickly forwards.... though I still wouldn't recommend firing any of the weapons downwards...

Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:53 am
Profile WWW

411570N3 wrote:
The thingy that makes the aim off more if you're not holding with two hands for example...
Also, what do you peoples think?
Fusion Blaster = Invisible except for very visible slag falling off the victim
or
Fusion Blaster = BLUE LASER BEAMS! Two two pixel wide laser beams, blue, with muzzleflash.

Either way it'd essentially be the same thing with different effects... anyway, this'd use the TDExplosive (same as the pulse weapons) gibs technique for widelasers, meaning that whilst I can't have different velocity particles it's impossible to mutilate yourself by simply moving very quickly forwards.... though I still wouldn't recommend firing any of the weapons downwards...

If you edit how the fusion blaster works, it won't work right anymore.

Currently it creates a 12 pixel wide BEAM, which is always perfectly accurate, as it is 6 Particles with a 1 pixel gap, and they all fly paralel to eachother with 0 deviation. If you make it a TDE instead of a TDE with attached AEmitters, then it won't be a X pixel wide beam, it will either be a 1 pixel wide beam, or a CONE of beams. The fusion blaster is NOT a flamer, it is a focoused beam. Now if you replaced the MOPixels with MOSRotating pixels with a gib impulse limmit and somehow make that work, I see no problem.

Also if its the effects your worried about, Keep in mind, I only used 1 round. The Tracer round is identical except for color, and color doesn't matter now. Change all the color you want, for all I care you can make it shoot rainbows, But, I did spend alot of time figuring out how to make a wide beam that isn't a muzzle flash masking a spread. If you make it as stable as possible it will make 6 or 7 paralel holes 1 pixel wide, while holding it it shakes a small amount making it dig slower, but makes a 12 pixel wide line, with little or no deviation. That was a ♥♥♥♥♥ to do.

Point is, You can correct any effects, or add ANY masks you want, with a Tracer round, (which currently is as it is just for the sound) Or, add SHELLS. Shell Offset = Muzzle Offset, think about what you can do with it before you change its method of fire. Also keep in mind its a TDE with attached AEmitters... The TDE can also explode into effects, I just never got around to it. AND the muzzle flash, could also have AEmitters on it emitting even MORE effects... The variations on effects are limitless, and thats pre-lua.

In other news,

I tested the fusion blaster (as I made it) against the Mamoth tank that was made a while ago. The ammo bounces off. So whatever it's made of, deflects my ammo, but the Imperial fists armor gets hit by it and DOESN'T deflect. whatever the difference in materials is, made all the difference.

Also, 411570N3, please post recent screencaps of all the weapons firing, Feel free to crop off extra, I just wanna see how they look.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Ugh, I know what I'm doing, it's still a wall of particles moving perfectly straight forwards -_-"
Except now it's impossible to kill yourself with the weapon no matter how fast forward you are moving...

And I don't want to post the screenies just yet, they look terrible without offsets and a sprite with crosshairs all over it as coding aids...

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:09 am
Profile WWW

411570N3 wrote:
Ugh, I know what I'm doing, it's still a wall of particles moving perfectly straight forwards -_-"
Except now it's impossible to kill yourself with the weapon no matter how fast forward you are moving...
How did you fix that? did you give it a ridiculously high velocity? if so, you can't fire at anything thats to close, it will ricochet first.

----Edit----
Make the TDE and the AEmitters HitsMos = 0 GetsHitMos = 0, and make the atom groups so it passes through things, then make the muzzle offset so that it shoots through the gun so you can still fire at point blank? no, then you can't have a proper muzzle flash... Unless you gave it weird-ass offsets and an attachable with a glow instead of just adding a screen effect... but thats a ton of things to do to get to fire complex ammo at point blank.... If this is what your doing, Kudos to you.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next