View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ever heard of... DUKE NUKEM! 

Post Ever heard of... DUKE NUKEM!
I've been in a strange duke nukem phase lately. I was wondering how everyone would react to a mod for it. I'm going to attempt to make a duke nukem mod with duke, aliens, and possibly those force field doors. And of course some big guns too. I was wondering if anyone would like to help? I'm a very basic modder. I can't do anything like make a flying octopus creature. I'm not a great spriter either. I could do some stuff like the assault troopers (including the chain gun dinosaur one), duke, some basic weapons, simple stuff like that.

Things I need help with:

-Octopus actor: One of my favorite monsters. I'm sorry if I can't remember it's actual name. It flies around, and shoots energy orbs. Some ferocious sounds would also be nice. Darlos, would it be possible to use your flying turrets code for the flying part? That sort of flying would do the alien octopus well.
-Some weapons: Sure I could do a shotgun, and a pistol, but I don't know how to turn bullets into lasers, and I can't sprite a chaingun right. A tripwire device would be awesome too, but I have no clue how to do that.
*-I don't have any plans for lua, but I'm sure that would improve things. I know nothing about lua though. Maybe a key for the "Mighty foot" attack with duke.
*-Force field doors. Preferably ones that with a static effect like the ones in game.
- Some sounds: I'm not sure if I can just copy, and paste sounds from the game. I may need some help on getting all the right ones in. Also I want duke to say "It's time to kick ass, and chew gum... and I'm all outta gum" when you switch weapons (But that's not too important). That'd be great!
-Pig cops! They're pretty popular I believe. I can't sprite them right... I just know it. So I need some help with this guy.
-Probably some other stuff.... wait and see.

*stars mean it is sort of a bonus, and not really a big deal.

So what do you guys think? Will this mod be supported? I wont make anything if no one is interested. You guys can also make some suggestions for adding things in. I'm sure I forgot to mention something. Also, what weapons should be in? I'll keep the list updated if requests come along that I can't handle.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:57 am

Post Re: Ever heard of... DUKE NUKEM!
Though I loved Duke Nukem, I don't think I'm passionate about the franchise to work on a CC mod for it. Maybe you should practice a bit more modding before taking on such a huge enterprise? Cut and paste some code around. Try fiddling with some of Aruka's Azukki's more difficult templates.

Last edited by Rawtoast on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:07 am
Profile YIM
happy carebear mom

Rawtoast wrote:
Aruka's

You mean Azukki?

Yeah, big faction mods are hard even for us so called "experienced" modders. With Lua, that would be even harder. Only the true greats have accomplished that, and most of them did it over many iterations of their mod.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:18 am
Loose Canon

Rawtoast wrote:
Aruka's

You don't mean Areku?

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:49 am
Profile WWW

He means Azukki; Areku never released any mod templates.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:59 am
Profile WWW

I started one once but didn't feel like coding.
Perhaps this stuff is useful to you;

Attachment:
Worksheet.bmp

Attachment:
TheDuke.rar

The .rar contains the sprites all cut out and a bunch of sounds too. :)

Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:13 pm

Gotcha! wrote:
I started one once but didn't feel like coding.
Perhaps this stuff is useful to you;

The .rar contains the sprites all cut out and a bunch of sounds too. :)

Awesome! Thanks gotcha! I was starting to worry about spriting the arms, but that solves that problem. I'm also a little crappy at gun spriting (You guys should have seen the first shotgun I made, it was terrible).

As for all the other comments, you're probably right. But still, I'd like to give this all a try. I have experimented with code before, done some weird things, and I've made some actors (I made at least 10 for B18, back when you didn't have to sprite as much). I think I'm ready for at least an attempt at a pack (The IHP one I tried doesn't really count since that didn't get too far off the ground. ignore the 65% thing in my signature, I have no clue what I was thinking when I put that there :oops: ).

Also I was thinking today, and I want a pipe bomb that acts like the vanilla remote detonated bombs... except instead of carrying around a detonator I want to be able to learn how to do this with a lua key bind. Could someone please tell me how to do that, or direct me to a good tutorial for lua key binds?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:16 pm
Loose Canon

411570N3 wrote:

Aruka =/= Areku.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:19 pm
Profile WWW

What do you guys want duke to be like. He can be near invincible, strong, and tough, but killable, or just a regular health guy. If he is tough then I will make it so that he can be has strong limbs, and will only die if he receives too many head shots (3-5), or runs out of health. But he will be kill able even to a pistol. If he is invincible I may remove blood on impact wounds since I don't want him to be one big blob of blood from being shot up so much. He will still have blood in him, should a dropship splatter him dead. If he has regular health then I warn you that he wont last long without any armor. :roll: I honestly think he should be strong, but not invincible. That way he is a real badass, yet the player still has to watch his back, and not just carelessly blast away. Also we wont have to worry about a leg gibbing since his limbs hold together.

Assault aliens (The first guys you encounter in D3D) will be about average health. However, they have no helmets, so they will be vulnerable to headshots. They will have a strong jetpack. They will also be pre-equipped with a laser pistol of some sort (It may be lazy, but I could just give them the tradestar pistol). Should I make assault commanders, or whatever they're called? I can't make them cloak, but maybe a slightly stronger one in red could fit in.

Assault enforcers will be stronger, but have a strong jump instead of a jetpack. I need to look at how to do this, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. These guys will be pre-equipped with a mini-gun/chaingun. Unlike the game, their chainguns wont look like they replace the arm.

Any complaints, or suggestions to my current plans?

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:11 pm
Loose Canon

This is never gonna get released.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:16 pm
Profile WWW

Hyperkultra wrote:
411570N3 wrote:

Aruka ≠ Areku.

I GET IT; I WAS WRONG, OKAY?

Hyperkultra wrote:
This is never gonna get released.

I laughed.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:21 pm
Profile YIM

I put this into action now! I have a good start with the RPG, and a soldier template with most of duke's sounds work. I think I want to edit the blast of the RPG a bit more before I can say "Finished!". But apart from that, and instantnames I'm done with it. You're sprites and sounds helped me off with a good start gotcha. Once again, thanks.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:48 am
Banned

G!, those sprites are pretty sick.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:01 am
Profile YIM

pieman280 wrote:
You're sprites and sounds helped me off with a good start gotcha.

Good start? How could you improve? They're perfect!

Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:28 am
Profile YIM

pieman280 wrote:
What do you guys want duke to be like. He can be near invincible, strong, and tough, but killable, or just a regular health guy.

Well, The Duke is supposed to be pretty tough. Let him be able to absorb a lot I'd say. :) Perhaps even make it a strong brain actor.

pieman280 wrote:
Should I make assault commanders, or whatever they're called? I can't make them cloak, but maybe a slightly stronger one in red could fit in.

Why not. :)

pieman280 wrote:
Assault enforcers will be stronger, but have a strong jump instead of a jetpack.

I am never that fond of using jumps instead of jetpacks, because the AI already faces a great challenge reaching places with their jetpacks. But it's up to you ofcourse.

If you contact me on msn I might be able to help out with more sounds.

Ps: The arms are very, very nice. They were made by someone else. Forgot who.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next