View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Armor strangeness? 

Post Armor strangeness?
I'm making a Mod for CC but the recent thing that has stopped me is that the materials I've set seem to act very strange when I name the same one different things. Is there any strong rules to naming materials? I'm aware of ID's and I think it might be my material overlapping with another mod's material but I've ID'd the materials as a super high number that shouldn't be used by any other mods except my own. What happens is that the material doesn't act like it should, when I give it a bullet proof SI value it doesn't take it and instead acts like paper. but if I rename it to its old previous name that was misspelled it will act like it should but I can't change the SI value. Any help?

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:03 am

Post Re: Armor strangeness?
Post your code, hard to tell what's going on without looking at it.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:34 am

I thought I included it, thanks food poisoning

Attachments:
Materials.ini [1.13 KiB]
Downloaded 925 times
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:33 pm

Which material are you renaming? What are its old and new names?

Are you testing these materials on an object of some kind (actor, gun, craft, MOSRotating, etc) or terrain?

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:31 am

I haven't done this in years but I think your Index number is supposed to be within the 0-255 bounds.
Also make sure your instance names are correct through all your code in all your .inis.
If you care only for StructuralIntegrity and not of any other values, you should just use the closest default materials.
Your "ShieldedArmor" has SI of 77 - "Dense Red Earth" has SI of 75, "Dalekainum" has SI of 90 - so does "Concrete", etc.
You'll be left with only one material - "Metalert". Try setting the Index to 254 (This index is left empty by default) and see if that works.
If it does, look for another empty index number in the default Materials.ini (254 is most likely used by some mod) and hope what you choose isn't used by other mods.

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:41 am

To build on that -

An Index value can be omitted if you're not using the material for terrain purposes, which should also prevent it from interacting with other materials in the 0-254 range if values overlap.

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:47 am

Whoa, that's good to know.

I'd like to add that value changes of the material when it's defined in the .ini don't actually apply, I've seen some vanilla .ini do this but upon further examination, there's no difference ingame.

Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:56 pm

I'm testing these on a actors and probably later devices and craft. Probably not going to be messing with terrain. the material I've been using is the "Dalekainum" one. I've also tried the other materials and they seem to act the same way, I'll consider some of the answers I've gotten here and try to get these working the best I can. Thanks for helping me!

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:42 pm

GibWoundLimit and GibImpulseLimit are also relevant for object durability, probably more than the material they're made of. The material will mostly provide bounce, friction, and initial penetration resistance properties.

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:00 pm

I'm more fixated on getting a material that will be almost completely bullet proof rather than resistant to wounds. I will take that into consideration.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:54 am

4zK wrote:
I'd like to add that value changes of the material when it's defined in the .ini don't actually apply, I've seen some vanilla .ini do this but upon further examination, there's no difference ingame.

What do you mean the value changes don't apply? Are you saying that creating a new material with different values and/or editing the default material yields no results?

If I take the strongest default material, excluding "Test" and "Default", which is Mega Metal:

Compared to my custom material, Ultra Metal:

Then the clearest ingame result of "Ultra Metal" being "stronger", or more resilient, is it not being penetrated by MOPixels of higher velocity/sharpness.
So if "Mega Metal" can bounce off vanilla SMG fire, "Ultra Metal" will bounce off some of the vanilla AR fire, which usually has faster/sharper ammo.

If you use the following:

It will be impenetrable by any vanilla weapon there is.

I'd say the changes you are making are too subtle. To have noticeable results, the edits must be somewhat drastic.
This works flawlessly.

Maybe i'm just misunderstanding what you are saying.

Daleks2377 wrote:
I'm more fixated on getting a material that will be almost completely bullet proof rather than resistant to wounds. I will take that into consideration.

You can use the materials I posted here, "Ultra Mega Metal" should suit your needs quite well.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]