View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Aim Recoil vs Spray Recoil 

Post Aim Recoil vs Spray Recoil
So I asked this question in my own mod thread, but I thought it might be good for more general discussion here. Basically, the question is which might actually be better for players in general: recoil that kicks your aim angle up, or recoil that just makes your gun spray more wildly without actually changing your aim. I listed some pros and cons.

-"Realistic" Recoil that throws your aim off-
Pros: Well obviously its more realistic and physics-y.
Cons: It requires more direct control from you, since you have to actually counteract the movement manually with either the aim up/down keys or the mouse. So, it'd be harder to actually deal with.

-Recoil that just makes your gun spray more wildly, without moving your actual aim angle.-
Pros: You don't have to actually control your aim. Instead, you simply aim and then fire controlled bursts or single shots.
Cons: Less realistic, and maybe even kinda funny-looking.

So, what do you guys think? I could see people actually arguing that the increased-spray method might be better since it requires less twitch-adjustment from the player. I can see how direct aim-affecting recoil might be annoying for those who aren't crazy action/fps type gamers.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:15 pm
Profile YIM
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: Aim Recoil vs Spray Recoil
Realistic recoil all day erry day.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:19 pm

If you've ever played Day of Defeat, I LOVE that game's recoil. It makes full-auto fire take a lot of skill, but have a huge tradeoff.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:29 pm

Hrm. Welp, the only problem is somebody needs to figure out how to get realistic recoil to work even when mouse aiming. It ain't being an easy thing.

I've already got a thread about it going on the lua board.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:39 pm
Profile YIM

That's assuming that gif is an example of mouse aiming. If it's non-mouse aiming, its no help at all.

I already PM'd him.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:15 pm
Profile YIM

Yes it is mouse aiming.

attached to a gun =

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:18 pm

I definitely would say muzzle rise is more important, but for some weapons, also adding spray (or variance to the magnitude of muzzle rise) can also be suitable, to make a weapon seem less in control without being a complete skyshooter.

But even just spray recoil is a massive improvement over "this is spread of your weapon, regardless of how fast you fire" for automatic weapons, in my opinion.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:05 am

Well done, Mehman. Looks pretty sharp

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:07 am

So then the ini code would have the gun firing dead straight if you disabled the lua simulated recoil, which would pretty much render the code useless?

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:21 am

If you wanted complete control to yourself in Lua, yes, you would want to set all .ini accuracy and spread values to 0. If you wanted to just have some general inaccuracy along with recoil, or a fixed amount of inaccuracy for unsupported fire, you could do that just as easily with the .ini values, though.

Here's what I came up with, a combination of spread and muzzle rise. It's probably technically inferior and less efficient compared to mehman's, but it demonstrates the idea well enough.
I did glance at mehman's code, there, but the only thing from it that I remembered and applied was the usage of RotAngle, which works out very well.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]