View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 How Do I Bunker 

Post How Do I Bunker
So Build 27 came out and I decided to get hooked into CC again. So far it's great, and I'm impressed how quickly people are adapting mods to B27 already. Unfortunately, there's a lack of varied bunker modules, pre-made bunkers and bunker systems. I don't know if what's already posted is compatible with B27, so I'm thinking of making my own modules and systems. I've sprited guns before and messed with their code as well, so I figure it couldn't be too hard.

Problem is, I have no idea how.

There don't seem to be any guides in the CC Wiki, and I don't see anything here in Mod Making either. Do you guys have any tips or starting points I could go off of? I'm hoping to make stuff ranging from simple rotations of Bunker Bits to somewhat complex pre-mades, with doors built in.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:45 pm

Post Re: How Do I Bunker
Every bunker piece has three bitmap files.
One Foreground (FG)- The stuff that can be removed by diggers/weapons fire
One Background (BG)- The stuff that is shown after the foreground has been torpedo'ed.
One Material bitmap (Mat) - The file that tells the game what kind of materials the foreground is made out of.

Best thing you can do is modify an existing bunker piece and just use the regular palette (base.rte\palette.bmp) for the Foreground and Background.
The Material bitmap uses a different palette with few colours.
I've uploaded a bmp that I use myself when creating bunker parts. Maybe it's of some help.
http://avatar.home.xs4all.nl/downloads/ ... olours.bmp

After you've created the three different pieces it's just a matter of stuffing them into an .ini file, much like in the file Base.rte\Scenes\Objects\Bunkers\BunkerBits\BunkerBits.ini. Wise to study that file. :)

Hope this all helped a bit. :S

Edit: Why edit existing bmp files? Because when you save them you will have an almost 100% guarantee that the file will have the appropiate colour table and will be saved in what Photoshop calls 'indexed colour mode'.
It's VERY important to use a paint program that doesn't change the colour index of the bmp file. For example, Windows 7's paint seems to mess this up.

If you're looking for a paint program, I'd suggest googling GIMP.

Last edited by Gotcha! on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:01 pm

I think it's worth noting that the Map Pack 3 objects work nicely with B27, and if you load them up as part of Base.rte you can use them for metagame bunkers. The varying rotations of doors and additional stuff like incredidoors/blast doors/room backgrounds/etc. can make things much more interesting than if you just used stock stuff.

Now that elaborate bases last more than just one skirmish round, building them feels more meaningful. :)

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:06 pm
Profile YIM

Gotcha! wrote:
-snip-

I'll be sure to try that out, Gotcha, Thanks.

Arcalane wrote:
I think it's worth noting that the Map Pack 3 objects work nicely with B27, and if you load them up as part of Base.rte you can use them for metagame bunkers. The varying rotations of doors and additional stuff like incredidoors/blast doors/room backgrounds/etc. can make things much more interesting than if you just used stock stuff.

Now that elaborate bases last more than just one skirmish round, building them feels more meaningful. :)

That's what I was going for when I figured to make my own parts. More variation and stuff like that. I've downloaded MP3 before, and found it's a scary compilation of folders that makes me confused and afraid when I try to peruse through them. Could you give me some directions on how to get those bunker parts into Base.rte? Also, does everything else work in B27?

This also makes me think that other bunker packs would work in B27 as well, like the Combat Modules from ages ago, and the one with the massive cargo hold. Same thing, move to Base.rte?

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:03 am

Why would you want to move them to base.rte? Is the extra folder a nuisance? :???:

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:52 pm

ROFLtheWAFL wrote:
That's what I was going for when I figured to make my own parts. More variation and stuff like that. I've downloaded MP3 before, and found it's a scary compilation of folders that makes me confused and afraid when I try to peruse through them. Could you give me some directions on how to get those bunker parts into Base.rte? Also, does everything else work in B27?

This also makes me think that other bunker packs would work in B27 as well, like the Combat Modules from ages ago, and the one with the massive cargo hold. Same thing, move to Base.rte?

It's really not that scary. Let me see, there's... one folder for Hell maps, one for Earth maps, one for City maps, one for Space maps, one for Snow maps, and one for Objects. That's six. You don't even need the Earth, City, Space, Snow and Hell maps to get the modules, you only need the "Map Objects" folder. Not as an .rte module, just a boring old folder. Then all you need to do is open Base.rte/Scenes.ini, and add;

Code:
IncludeFile = Maps - Objects/Index.ini

To the end of the file, and that's that.

Other bits from the BMCP should still work. Sashi's modules, Duh's double-width modules, and LFoW's prefabs seem to work, or at the very least all load without crashing either the game and/or the scene editor.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:04 pm
Profile YIM

Gotcha! wrote:
Why would you want to move them to base.rte? Is the extra folder a nuisance? :???:

Well, I figured that not doing so would end up putting the modules in a "MP3" faction like Cave Cricket's stuff he just released. But yeah, Arcalane's idea sounds better.

Arcalane wrote:
ROFLtheWAFL wrote:
-snip-

Deceptively simple, thank you.

Edit: Would Sims_Doc's awesome lifts work? I really want to use them. I checked the Index.ini in the lifts file and it's listed under its own datamodule. How would I go about integrating it into the base.rte?

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:54 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Well I'm not sure about the lift mod specifically but you should be able to take the mod's contents, dump it in a folder in Base.rte, (name the folder after what the index puts it in. IE if it puts it in "Sprites", put the lift's sprites in there etc.) and then reference the lift's index it in the Base.rte index.

For example
Code:
IncludeFile = Base.rte/Liftindex.ini

You would have to make sure to rename the lift mod index, otherwise you could overwrite the Base.rte index, and that wouldn't be good.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:19 pm
Profile WWW

As a total noob who bought and likes this game, I am going to try and make some noob-friendly premade bunkers (mainly for myself, but will share), hence recurrecting this thread. Can anyone else make a few examples or tutorial on the most basic, small bunker premade? Like a surface bunker with no more than space for three actors, a door on each side, a sniper hole on each side, and a shaft headed down? Most of the premade bunkers are huge, and there are no small premades suitable for initial protection of mining camp. If no one makes a tutorial, I will try but am clueless beyond the scope of this minimal thread. Thanks!

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]