View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 [Help] FNG Questions: Jetpacks 

Post [Help] FNG Questions: Jetpacks
I've been poking and prodding at making my own faction for Cortex Command since picking it up on Steam. I've done some softmodding here and there for Garry's Mod, STALKER, and so forth, so I'm not much of a stranger to user-friendly code. So far, things have been fine.

Well, they were until I started to work on a custom jetpack. At the end of the day, it's effectively a reskin, and yet it's the most difficult obstacle I've run up against.

Here's the code I've got:

I've added this to an actor and, whenever he unloads from his delivery vehicle, the game immediately CTDs without a crash dump. I'm flying blind without an error report, so I can't tell if it's my mistake or I'm doing something the game just doesn't like.

I realize this is probably a pretty dumb question with an obvious answer somewhere, but I'm absolutely clueless. I tried using a direct, renamed copy of the basic jetpack in Pyro.ini; still crashed the same way. Am I just putting this in the wrong file or something? I've checked and rechecked again that it's in the index for the mod, so I know the game actually knows it's there.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:33 am
Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: [Help] FNG Questions: Jetpacks
Well I can see one major problem to start with -- you should define the Jetpack after defining the particles it emits. That should be causing a loading error.

If reorganizing it doesn't fix it, I have no idea what's up. :???:

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:11 am
Profile YIM

Unfortunately, that didn't do it. I might ask if it could have something to do with the new actor I made, but he works just fine with Jetpack Heavy.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:34 am
Profile YIM WWW

I don't know if I actually figured out what's wrong, but I got it working, at least.

I went out on a limb just a few minutes ago and copied the code for my jetpack into Base.rte's Pyro.ini.

As much as I felt this one coming a mile away, it worked.

I'm going to do a bit more fiddling to see if I can find out what exactly is the source of the problem. I've got a hunch that I just didn't have the file in the right folder, which would be a lot less headache in the future than something more serious.

Edit 1:
Now this is just ridiculously frustrating. Tried putting it into its own Pyro.ini, didn't work. Threw it back into the Base.rte Pyro.ini and now it's not working again. Generic "Cortex Command has stopped working" crash once the unit exits its delivery craft.

Edit 2:
False alarm. It was a kneepad. :roll:

Edit 3:
I took a chance last night and fiddled with the load order for the mod's files. In the end, it actually was the order in which things were being loaded, but via the Index.ini settings, not the files themselves. A mistake I'm glad to have learned from, at least.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:32 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]