View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Adding Glow To Irregular-Shaped Object? 

Post Adding Glow To Irregular-Shaped Object?
I have been trying to add a more oval glow to a more cylindrical object and have failed about 4 times now..

My frist attempt was using an AEmitter (which emits an invisible MOPixel with ScreenEffect) attached to an MOSRotating, then using the MOSRotating as the round's particle. This would work fine for a round glow, but for the irregular object I'm using, the glow doesn't orient to it... (come to think of it, I'm using this same technique on another object, and the glow doesn't orient to that one, either...... I know because the glow is irregular in that case).

Second attempt was using an MOSParticle with a ScreenEffect, and this works great!!!! Except......... for some reason you can't define an AtomGroup and/or DeepGroup, so there's 1 pixel that takes on the mass and sharpness characteristics..

Third attempt.. trying #1 with OrientToVel somewhere on the AEmitter.. nothing happens.. I could try this again but I'm pretty sure it fails. Yeah.. tried it again to make sure, this doesn't work.

Fourth attempt.. trying to slap on ScreenEffect to an MOSRotating.. which does nothing.

Anyone know how to accomplish this? I don't understand really why the AddEmitter = AEmitter isn't joining the glow properly on either object.. like they join but they wont rotate with the objects.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:56 pm

Post Re: Adding Glow To Irregular-Shaped Object?
Glows can't rotate at all. If you want them to rotate you'll have to do fancy Lua stuff.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:15 pm
Profile YIM

Figured as much.. ugh.. okay where can someone who knows nothing about coding/programming go to start? =.=

Actually your statement is false :) they CAN rotate.. just not attach to anything particularly useful. (MOSParticle).

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:29 pm
Forum Moderator

The easiest way to have what you want would probably to be to have round glows at different points on your sprite so that the overall effect would be of the shape you want.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Quote:
If you want them to rotate you'll have to do fancy Lua stuff.

Is this for true, or just speculation?

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:14 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

I guess the only way is to create many glows at different angles and switch them with Lua like in Mehman's laser. Or do what p3lbo0x said.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:46 pm

This is a pity. Being able to rotate glows would resolve a huge number of lag problems associated with generating effects in this game.
Old news I suppose.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:51 pm

Mehman seems to have a program in his mod that'll do the glow rotating and the ini creation for you, so really this wouldn't be too difficult at all. Then his script just needs to be cannibalized to fit whatever purpose and you have fairly easy rotatable glows.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]