View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 DayZ Mod - XMAS ALPHA 

Post Re: DayZ Mod v.56 - 3 Actors, Jerry Can & Box of Matches
UPDATE: The two survivor actors are completed, and I have a WIP version of the ghillie suit actor. It's based off of ramonimbao's actor, who kindly allowed me to use his in my mod. I still need edit its sprites, but for the time being it works (it switches to Team 2 when crouched). All the actors have custom wounds that bleed profusely for a minute and a half (anticipating medical supplies such as bandages, morphine or blood bags), jumps instead of jetpacks, and the survivors have baseball caps that can be shot off if you aim precisely.

I also included a Jerry can and a Box of Matches, with code based off Blump's "Incendiary Liquid" mod from the Russian Cortex Command forums. Pour the gas, switch to the matches, and light it up. It's pretty useful for a short-lived area-denial device, and I think it will come in handy if I decide to make zombies down the line.

I still haven't balanced all the weapons, but I did some tweaking to the M107 and CZ 550.

Enjoy, and if you want, post here or PM me with thoughts and criticisms. :)

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:43 pm

UPDATE: I finished the Red, Green and Blue chemlights and the flare, but I'm having a little trouble with the emitted glow not showing up when they're thrown onto anything other than a flat surface. The sprites for the bloodbag, morphine injector, bandage, baked beans, mountain dew, coke and pepsi are finished too, I just need to code them. I've started on the bear trap, and I hope to achieve a "freeze" effect once an actor steps on it. There are a couple of mods that have scripts that I could check out, so I think it should be possible.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:17 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

It's mostly just setting control states to false.

Cavecricket is probably the best source for stunning.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:15 am

It seems that you have balanced the crowbar quite well. It's still quite strong for its price when put against vanilla factions but it may be perfect for the zombie apocalypse. I also quite like the hunting knife. I think you need to work out a better system for the ghillie suit actor though. The hatchet is absolutely insane. the kickback is so strong you can use it to double jump, and, quite obviously, it's way too strong no matter what scenario you put it in. The audio for lighting the fire is quite irritating when you light up a lot of it at the same time, I suggest you change it. Can you make it so that you can douse an actor in oil and light it up? Maybe even make the corpse black like ashes if the actor dies from the fire.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:20 pm

After i saw Jerry can + Matches...
POUR ALL THE GAS EVERYWHERE!
No, seriously, its cool.
Also, what happens if you play already a Team 2 Actor, and use a Ghillie Actor? Will it not change anything?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:41 pm

I don't know what happens if you play as team 2, I've never tried. :idea: Actually, I'm not sure how well the whole team-switching thing fits in with the DayZ ghillie suit, I'm thinking about removing it and giving him some other sort of advantage. Any idea?

UPDATE: The bloodbag, the 3 sodas, the baked beans, and the medic box are all finished and working. I made the hatchet a stronger, slower-swinging version of the crowbar, no more recoil shenanigans. I added new sounds to the actors when they get hurt or die, and I came up with a solution to the chemlights and flares not emitting properly. It still happens if you throw them directly into grass, making them lodged, but the glows show up far more reliably now. I have new sounds for the matches and the fire, and right now I'm working on the tent. I'm not sure what function it should have, but it could act as a field hospital, where you go up to it and it fully heals you. I could make it a grounded craft like a drop crate, that holds actors and items. If ammo is limited, or if I can implement a loot spawn & hunger/thirst system, it might be worthwhile to have a storage device on the map to hold items for when you need them.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:35 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Well, on one of my excursions of plowing through all the old mods of the mods forum, I found a very old ammo mod based on heldDevice magazines in the inventory.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:36 am

Thanks for reminding me of that, Foa. I just tested it, but I was still getting the infinite ammo bug. I think I'd prefer to go more of a Shadow Echelon route when I'm ready to implement the ammo system, but it's definitely a "stretch goal" at this point. I started working on the Chernarus scene yesterday, and if I keep the vertical height low, it's going to be a really long map (for instance, if I limit it to 480 pixels, it can be something like ~18,000 to 19,000 pixels long and still have the same area as one of the vanilla maps). I have the starting beach and one village done, a log cabin is fully sprited, but I'm still pretty much in the design stage for the rest of the scene. I'd like to have the airfield at the very end, maybe Green Mountain or something in the middle, but I haven't decided yet. The hardest part is going to be designing it in such a way that all buildings can be entered, with multiple levels, but not have zombies get caught up on objects.

Avoiding the zombies and hostile survivors is going to be tough as well; since it's side-scrolling, you'll pretty much have to fight each one to get somewhere. Maybe each settlement could have an alternate route if you don't want/need the loot inside the buildings, like a short sewer system that bypasses just the one settlement. Or you could just order a helicopter, load your actor in it and fly across the map, but then how will you get money to order the craft? I don't want the player to have to dig for gold in this mod. Maybe a trader post that operates like these?

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:37 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Further problems include the 255 Moid Limit, and the Default 25 HeldDevice on Floor Limit.
Other considerations are issues with heavy inventories, retarded pathing, overpowered ai, terrain destruction, and so on.

If I recall Cortex Shock does something with alternate scenes... I don't know how weegee does it, so it may be a an even further stretch.
Or you could simply find a way to justify a teleportation device that is either costly in Oz of Gold, or Fuel Cans. [With Rucker Device Effects, or Drop Cannon Effects]

In other news, do you remember the Dune Rider? or Gyro Wheel? or Death Wasps?

Some things you can do is get auto-pickup items that drop from mob kills that the player can pick up and auto sell at the trade posts [a la Blocks From Above && those Advanced Bunker Modules you linked]

EDIT

Now that I think of it, you could use something like CC48's old Minecart mod if you are feeling particularly lazy, or TLB's old Hoverboard mod.
Also, Gyrojet Weapons, god damn they are powerful near, during, and after peak velocity.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:54 am

Love this mod, the only thing it needs are the right maps for it.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:14 pm

halo117 wrote:
Love this mod, the only thing it needs are the right maps for it.

Got the starting area finished, hope you guys like really long maps. I uploaded the newest version, which includes a couple more goodies in the tools section, and a cursory attempt at balancing the guns. The scene isn't included in the download, though, it's still very WIP (background stuff was ripped from my version of nightforest, for instance).

If anyone has the time, I'd appreciate a run-through of the weapons regarding balance.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:47 am

Post Re: DayZ Mod v.60 - 1st Pass at Balancing Weapons
*cough* I tried all Guns. The ones i list here need either a Nerf or a Buff, and i review them
The Makarov is the first gun you get in DayZ, so it should be weak, as it is in your Mod.
The .45 Revolver could have a SMALL buff.
Somehow the M1911 is perfectly balanced.
So is the G17.
MR43...well, i still can use it to shoot through walls. A small nerf in Sharpness?
Winchester 1866? A nice gun. Balanced in both Power and Accuracy.
Somehow, i feel like the MP5SD could need a small buff in RateOfFire. Its a SMG at all.
For a Assault Rifle, the AKM is perfectly balanced, but it could need a buff. I took about 2 shots to blow off the head of a zombie.
The M4A1 CCO is balanced. I also like the sprite of it.
You nerfed the M14 AIM, thats good! Now it doesnt shoot off a Dropships Engine...
Though its a common Rifle, the CZ48 needs a buff in sharpness. As i know, it mostly 1shots everything in ArmA 2.
Now, the M107...
its a .50 BMG Gun. I would ask for a Buff in its Penetration, as the Bullets are commonly found in Heavy MGs, like the Browning M2.
Now, after the FIrearms, back to the Melee Weapons.
The Crowbar and the Hatchet are noice.
The Grenade (M67, right?) acts like a normal Grenade. Just like in ArmA 2. Ive once got a shrapnel into my *** from throwing it on a ground :l
The Jerry Can could drop more Gas, yet the RoundCount could be reduced to 50, if the ParticleCount is 2 or 3.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:26 pm

Notsoscary wrote:

Thanks again, you've been very helpful. I'll put you in the credit section as a tester when I post this in Mod Releases.

EDIT: OK, I've buffed the revolver, AKM, CZ 550, and the M107. For the MP5SD6, I was using its real life fire rate of 700 RPM, but since all the variants range from anywhere between 700-900, I bumped it up to 825. I removed the invisible "knockback" pellets from the shotgun, they were the culprit. They would actually harm the user when firing close to terrain. For the jerry can, there are actually two rounds being fired, the fuel and a dummy "tracer" that disappears. I added five fuel rounds, for a total of 25. I'd like to add more, but there is some noticeable lag when there are too many fuel particles on screen. I have updated the file in the OP with these changes.

Last edited by uberhen on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:21 pm

By the way, uberhen, are you thinking about recoil? If so, you could ask for the Trappers Recoil Script, or the...RAZORs Script, which is fun but somehow hard to work.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:26 pm

I've thought about it. I really like the method Azukki used in his faction, and the way the sharp aim gets all shaky could also be put to use when you're attacked. If you haven't played DayZ, sometimes when you're injured your screen gets very shaky in first person, necessitating the use of painkillers. It would be great to have another medical item for this purpose, because I don't think bandages or morphine could be implemented separately. You can't stop bleeding (bandage) without regenerating the whole limb, and you can't regenerate the whole limb (morphine) without fully restoring health, as far as I'm aware. That's why I only have the bloodbag to restore health and the medical box to fully restore everything. Unless you think the bandages could just be used as a smaller health boost, like 20 HP or something.

Right now I'm working on getting a scene ready for you guys to try, the lua will have to wait until later I'm afraid. :)

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next