View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 DayZ Mod - XMAS ALPHA 

Post Re: DayZ Mod v.80 - Hunger/Thirst, Zombie & Loot Spawns
I put up a new version of the mod for you guys to test. The hunger and thirst systems are included, as is the zombie and loot spawn systems. To play, select the "Chernarus" activity near the bottom of the scenario menu. Right now, the hunger/thirst countdown is accelerated, and the two types of spawns are just added to the first two houses you'll encounter. I also integrated Kettenkrad's sprites, he recently sent me the compound crossbow, Mk 48, and the remaining pistols. I've set their prices accordingly, so if you'd like to use the current faction in skirmish defense it should save you a bit of gold. For the map, I've added two small forests, the factory, a couple of apartment buildings, the hospital, and a new version of the bridge that uses the foreground trick. Windows have been added to the buildings, and if you shoot one out while you're below it, the falling shards will damage your actor. I have yet to add the control tower and the rest of the airfield, but you'll probably see those added once we're ready to post to Mod Releases. The two junk items are throwable like they are in Arma II DayZ, and they should distract actors if they impact near them.

Bad Boy found a way to stop bleeding, something I don't think has been done before. Right now it's applied to the sodas, but a working bandage can be found in the final release. The food items will only function as they're intended in the Chernarus activity, but the medical items will work regardless of which activity you use. Seeing as hunger/thirst are accelerated, the best way to see what's been added to the map is by using the Test Activity, at the top of the scenario menu. This will probably be the last public release before the final version, we still want to have some tricks up our sleeves. :)
It's late, I'm gonna go to bed now. Have fun, and if you have any comments, feel free to post them here or PM one of us.

Sun May 12, 2013 10:54 am

Have a good night.
Im always trying to test the newest version of this, and i did, so lets get started...
The Sprites were well done, but thats expected if People like Kettengrad sprite.

THe Hunger and Thirst system is ok, but...its kind of too fast.
You could make useful Things spawn more, because all i got were Tin Cans and Empty Cans. :l
Nice doing on the Windows, though they dont harm Actors.
Also, i must say, the idea of a Survivor getting tired of everything and suiciding (the building with the dead guy) is cool.
If i forgot something, tell me.

Sun May 12, 2013 11:53 am

I agree with Notsoscary on the Hunger and Thirst system being too fast; it could be a simpler and slower 100% counter.
Also, the spawns are a little buggy (they made me crash a couple of times) and could give some food (more rarely than empty can, of course)
btw the shattering glass can harm you if you're insisting with it :)

Sun May 12, 2013 1:57 pm

this is amazing bro, im messing with your hunger/thirst for my own personal use but other than that this could put cortex command on the map for indie/portable/easy to play games

noice!

Sun May 12, 2013 3:47 pm

Glad you guys like it, it's all really alpha right now, so expect the final version or the next released one to be a lot better.
To be honest I didn't even know uber was gonna put this out to everyone haha (no worries about that though uber, it's fine).
I'll see if we can get one slightly more updated version out with working bandages (they only actually work on the black shirted survivor right now, since the scripts haven't been applied to the other actor's wounds) so anyone who wants to can help me with a bit of testing.

Keep in mind also that it's pretty buggy and the game'll probably crash when you die.

As for the problems people pointed out:
Hunger, thirst and health will be put in a sidebar, like in the game. So you'll see it as a visual percentage representation. And yes, you start with little right now, that's just a testing number so I didn't have to wait too long to test starving. To expound on this a bit, the number used is just so I didn't have to count it in decimals; since actor movement affects how much is drained from hunger and thirst, I'd either have to keep track of all movements in between each run of the hunger/thirst draining function, or run it each frame. Obviously the latter is easier and probably a better solution. However, this means that I can either do the hunger draining math in decimals, or just use a very large value and have it drain more quickly. I picked the latter.
By the way, any thoughts on balance regarding the speed of dying due to hunger and/or thirst would be appreciated.

@Saven: Regarding NPCs, I currently have the basis for a noise attraction system set up. I originally intended it to lure zombies and increase spawn rates (once I implement noise level increasing and such) but it could also work for survivors too. Treating it as general alert level, it could also apply to things like chem lights and flashlights and stuff. Thanks for the suggestions.

To wrap this unexpectedly long post up, there's a lot more uber and I would like to do with this (brand new zombie ai, darkness using fog of war, a day/night cycle, a friendly npc camp with trading/money, the helicopter, a nice final score screen and stuff, etc.), and obviously a lot that needs fixing. It'll probably be a while, but at some point we'll likely ask for some help balance and bug testing, I hope we'll get a lot of volunteers to help us out.

Sun May 12, 2013 10:05 pm

Makes me crash whenever i use the tin can and empty bottle

Mon May 13, 2013 2:18 am

That's strange. I downloaded the .rte I posted and tried them out, it worked fine for me. When does it happen, as soon as one is on-screen, when you have it in your hand, or when it lands? Are you given an error, or does it just say the .exe crashed?

Mon May 13, 2013 3:04 am

I haven't any problem with the tin can/empty bottles either. My crashes are mostly happening when I die in the Chernarus activity, as Bad Boy said, and it say that the .exe have stopped working and such.

Mon May 13, 2013 6:15 pm

uberhen wrote:
That's strange. I downloaded the .rte I posted and tried them out, it worked fine for me. When does it happen, as soon as one is on-screen, when you have it in your hand, or when it lands? Are you given an error, or does it just say the .exe crashed?

Found out the reason, the exe. crashed on me when i suicided with the frag and threw the empty tin can

Tue May 14, 2013 2:21 am

Yeah, that's probably it. I've got all the game crashes sorted out (hopefully) in the newest version I sent to uber. To be honest I was just too lazy get to them before haha.
It's also got some fog of war stuff too, as well as working bandages and a few other changes. He'll presumably put it up when he's got his new stuff ready. It'll probably be the final or close to the final public prerelease, though that's ultimately up to uber.

Tue May 14, 2013 4:44 am

UPDATE: The ammo system is working very nicely on all but 4 or 5 weapons. I'm using a slightly modified version of Azukki's system from Shadow Echelon, and Bad Boy has been working on making everything play nice. Magazines/shells/rounds are going to spawn as loot like they do in Arma II DayZ, and currently every weapon spawns with one full magazine loaded. In other news, I've finished the new supermarket building, the old one didn't fit well in my opinion. Here it is:
It might be a tad too tall atm, but I tried to proportion it similarly to the one found in A2DZ.

Bad Boy's been doing terrific work on the night system; flares/chemlights will illuminate the surrounding area letting you see what's there, and the flashlight is working nicely for the same purpose.

Sun May 19, 2013 12:15 am

A few teasers for anyone following development. I thought it might be a nice idea, and I wanted to do something not code-y for a bit:
Attachment:
File comment: Zombies, shotguns and chemlights oh my!
Teaser 1.png
Teaser 1.png [ 185.78 KiB | Viewed 7888 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: This poor survivor's not long for this world, the zombies made quick work of him when he ran out of ammo.
But at least nothing'll sneak up on him this close to a chemlight.

Teaser 2.png
Teaser 2.png [ 191.36 KiB | Viewed 7888 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Baked beans are a miserable light source.
Teaser 3.png
Teaser 3.png [ 47.95 KiB | Viewed 7888 times ]

All the screenshots are cropped a bit, but it gives a pretty good idea of darkness and of how effective chemlights are.

Sun May 19, 2013 12:36 am

Oh, christ this is the greatest thing ever. Fantastic work, guys. Keep it up.

Sun May 19, 2013 5:15 am

Just finished a rough version of the hangar:

Still think I should add a bit more detail to the inside, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with the proportions.

And thanks !CTLV128, I really appreciate the kind words. :) Bad Boy's been such a tremendous help, and Kettenkrad's sprites are great (as always).

Sun May 19, 2013 7:40 am

I may have a suggestion on the Loot Spawns. Well, mostly on the Weapons...
The Makarov would be looted early, or just Ammo. That means, at the early Houses you meet. Personal Protection, y'know?
Same goes for the Hatchet, the Crowbar. The Hunting Knife, the CZ48, the Crossbow and the Shotgun would spawn at a Cabin. Its for Hunting Purposes, isnt it?
Assault Rifles like the AKM could be found at the Middle of the Map, or just in Hospitals and Stuff. Maybe the MP5 could spawn there too?
If you finish the Airport, there should the good Stuff spawn, like the Mk48, the M4, the M107 and other good Loot. But a big lots of Zombies too. (Best try to make them without Lag, by making them stronger than the usual Zombie. Arent they Military Zombies now?)

Sun May 19, 2013 9:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next