View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 DayZ Mod - XMAS ALPHA 

Post Re: DayZ Mod v.61 - 2nd Pass at Balance
Hi uberhen (Warning: potential engrish)
First, I think this mod has an amazing potential that you're successfully exploiting to make a very nice 2D counterpart of the original DayZ. I admire your work and love the idea to make some maps but I fear that many changes to do can be present; to begin with, the vanilla zombies aren't very though nor swarming and can't even beat anyone with strength thus they aren't a threat for many survivors so it could be great if you do your own DayZ zombies with another combat scheme (jumping/rubbing on a ironclad guy like the vanilla zombies or trying to snipe someone with your claws like '09 zombies are both inefficient tactics). You could also add some biological parameters like pain (been unable to jump after being badly injuried, for example) or dread (having a zombie too close of your face) that make the experience more hardcore-like.

Also, I've tested the weapon and experimented some trouble with the crossbow, the bolt getting through the zombies without leaving any injuries;
Amazing quality gif
Juste note that the bolt seems to magically evade from the ground but the laggy screenshot what too slow to take the exact impact moment.
Well, I wish you a good continuation :D

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:08 pm

I appreciate the kind words Saven, and don't worry, your English is very good.

Rest assured that I'm going to create custom zombies for this mod. I agree with your thoughts on the vanilla culled clones, they don't really pose a threat. Getting the zombies just right is going to be tough, especially if I want them to have the same characteristics as in Arma II DayZ. As far as I'm aware, enemy actors are only alerted when you make noise and they have a line of sight to your actor or the device you're carrying. And I don't think it's possible to have two different walking speeds for an actor (one for idle wandering, and the other for alerted running). I've always wondered why actors have three different walk speeds in their code, but they only ever use one. This seems to be the only explanation I can find (look at the fourth code tag and the description underneath).

Once again, I feel this is a feature that could easily be solved if I knew lua well, but I don't. I'm going to take this mod as far as I can with .ini only, then I will ask around and hopefully get help from some of the talented members we've got. On the scene I'm making, I did a stress test and 20 actors caused lag to kick in (albeit a small amount). I fear too many lua scripts running in the background will only make things worse, and I would hate to compromise on the map length unless I had no other choice.

And I just tested the crossbow against some culled clones, it's working on my end. I don't know if your machine was lagging a lot when you fired the crossbow, but perhaps the engine didn't account for the bolt for a few frames. Even though I have friendly fire enabled in my copy of CC, the crossbow bolt's lua code (borrowed with permission from akblabla) prevents it from harming actors on the same team regardless of my AI file.

UPDATE: On the bright side, I came up with a solution for navigating different floors of a building. I had considered elevators and teleporters, but these would have added a lot of lag to the scene. These partial FG/ partial BG stairs are very easy to ascend and descend in my opinion (then again, I'm using the classic keyboard config with Shift used for crouch). You need to throw your weight a little to get across the stairwell, but it's nothing a player shouldn't be able to handle.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:37 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

The ai also notices particles fly at them I think :v

Just be careful about costly processes/calculations when dealing with Lua, generally AI, and needless calculations in the update function really screw the pooch.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:05 am

Wow, the Map looks nice!
And yes, i dont think Elevators should be implented. Too much lag :L
Also...what are you thoughts about implenting the LOOOOOT? Because too much Loot will make some dissapear. Well, not really but make them not pickable.
Also, the M67 wont get in my Inventory if i throw it on the Ground before throwing :L

Wed May 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Post Re: DayZ Mod v.68 - Chernarus TEST Map
UPDATE: Now you guys can test out a small section of the map that's been completed. Once again I used a Picturewars map from Hobbesy to get things started, and retooled some buildings from a few other creators. The cabin sprite is all me, and I added a few things to it since its first appearance in my Cemetery map from B22. BTW, if any of you can post a GIF of a survivor climbing to the top of the lighthouse successfully, I'll make a weapon of your choice from DayZ. Currently it's not too functional, but it looks nice.

Notsoscary: Yeah, the M67 glitch is there because I added a block of code that would make it possible to be shot after being released. I'm going to remove it in a future version. I don't have the skill to code a loot system, and I don't know whether it's possible to implement what I have in mind. I'm going to focus on the content before the systems.

EDIT: I'm looking into whether BG trees that obscure the player is possible. Lord Tim experimented with it in his Endurantism map years ago, but I don't think it was expanded on. Here's a GIF of his technique in 1.05:

It uses doors, so it may be too laggy to implement on a large scale. My idea was to place zombies with very high charheights behind objects that hide them, and then when the player alerts them they jump out. I don't think what I'm talking about is possible, though, just from looking at the way he fiddled with the scene background.

Last edited by uberhen on Thu May 02, 2013 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 01, 2013 10:22 pm

Post Re: DayZ Mod v.68 - Try out the Chernarus TEST Map

It works! The concealing effect can be applied to any .bmp image, and actors from opposing teams do not notice them. I placed around 100 of the trees you see above on the Chernarus test scene with no lag whatsoever. Also, quick note regarding the Chernarus test map: it will not run well in skirmish mode. When you hit the skirmish button, select the "Test" activity from the menu (the topmost item on the list). It runs well in this mode with about 20-30 actors on my computer. Since all spawning will be handled by lua for the release, I believe lag will be manageable. Hopefully selective despawning of actors is possible (for instance, if a player leaves a certain box, all zombies inside said box are deleted).

Thu May 02, 2013 2:27 am

Quick suggestion, I definitely think you'll need a shotgun with a little more punch to it. After trying the current one, it just kills enemies in a fairly uninteresting way. I'm thinking something that you can just fire and BAM, the enemy gets blown into the air and torn apart.
Also, this is kind of a dumb idea, but what do you think about adding a background "soundtrack"?

If you have ever played Minecraft, you know that every now and then a song will just play in the background. I think, if you chose some really scary, atmospheric songs, it could really enhance the feel of the map. I don't know if that's possible to implement, but it would be nice.
Oh and, I don't mean songs as in something you get of the radio with lyrics and such, I'm talking about instrumental pieces.
I know quite a few from movie soundtracks I think would be perfect.

Thu May 02, 2013 7:34 am

The MR43 did have some "knockback" particles from an AEmitter, but they would often damage the player when in close quarters so I removed them. I've got a sprite ready for the Remington 870, I'll add it in an update once the Chernarus map is done and I'll try to make it a bit more interesting.

It's funny you mention instrumental atmospheric music, I've recorded near a dozen tracks using a guitar with heavy effects that would work. I believe there's a lua function to play music, that's an excellent suggestion. I've actually been looking to do something with them anyway. Here is a clip of me playing DayZ with my music added for a bit of atmosphere, do you think it would fit?

EDIT: If you've got time for another one, I feel this one is the best out of the bunch for this particular mod. It's got a John Carpenter-esque vibe to it IMO, like you would hear it in the 1982 version of The Thing.

Thu May 02, 2013 9:51 am

Tested the Map now. I have seen some... "Map Errors" or Stuffs.
Also, what do you think, how strong would you want the zombies to be?

Attachments:
ScreenDump000.bmp [776.07 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
ScreenDump002.bmp [137.87 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Thu May 02, 2013 1:03 pm

I should have made a note earlier, but the map is only as finished as far as the grass is. Everything to the right of the last blade of grass is currently still in the design stage (hence the ugly barren messes you've screencapped). In skirmish mode, it seems to lag when the enemy is calculating where to drop off actors, but once they land there is ~10 seconds of no lag whatsoever. I think the cpu has a hard time dealing with the size of the map in this regard.

As for zombies, I'm going to make them tough to take out with anything other than a headshot, close to how they are in Arma II DayZ. There will also be at least one way to bypass them, though I'm not sure if I want to take a scene-based (tunnels?) or actor-based (something like the ghillie's teamswitching?) approach.

In other news, I've just received PMs from two of the forum's most talented modders offering help. I don't want to reveal whom just yet, as both of them (and me, I may add) have academic commitments in our own lives, so things aren't set in stone. Nonetheless, I'm very excited and I think you guys should be a little too. :)

Thu May 02, 2013 7:02 pm

This is amazing and has given me hope in CC again.

I will download and let you know how the guns feel!

Thu May 02, 2013 11:24 pm

kilozombie wrote:
This is amazing and has given me hope in CC again.

I will download and let you know how the guns feel!

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. :) I've had the beginnings of this mod just sitting around for nearly a year, and I thought finishing might get people interested in CC again. It would be very helpful if you could tell me what you think about the weapons, as I'm busy making new buildings for the map. Anything else you want to comment on would be appreciated.

Thu May 02, 2013 11:45 pm

Okay.

Combat knife- Seemed a little weak, but serves pretty well at a close quarters starting weapon.
Crowbar/Hatchet- Feels very good to use. Not too powerful, but strong enough to kill if aimed well.
Makarov- Weak, but not unusable. I like it.
Revolver- Takes too long to reload, and I think damage could be toned up a bit.
M1911- Seems about right as a counterpart to the Revolver.
G17- Murderizer of all time. Does more damage than the Revolver (it seems) and shoots faster, reloads faster, has a bigger magazine. Ridiculously powerful compared to the other pistols.
Crossbow- Good, but needs a little more damage. Other than that, the piercing effect is great
Double barreled shotgun- All the stats are right, but I think the part that puts people off is the sound. It's muffled and doesn't have any "kapow" to it like a shotgun of this power should.
Winchester- Little too much power. It would be balanced by the long reload if you lasted that long in combat, which usually doesn't happen (unless you're infiltrating a base)
Lee Enfield- Feels a little too samey to the Winchester. Make its sound louder, I think, and give it a little more sharpness. The two weapons (Winchester and Lee Enfield) are what I expected the Garand to be like, so good job!
AKM/M16A2- Balanced and fulfilling to use. They seem like weapons that are intended to supply an army, which is exactly what they are.
M4A1CCOSD- Has a good sound, damage that makes sense, and has a good sprite.
MP5SD6- Same as above. They feel not as /powerful/ but more strategic, and would be a weapon of choice in the mod.
MK48 Mod 0- Feels like an LMG, but maybe increase its sharpness slightly?
M14 AIM- Ridiculously powerful. Has insane sharpness and kills in one or two hits regardless of where it lands. Tone that down, increase the accuracy and firing rate. It's not a cannon, it's (again) something intended to be used as a mid-range weapon and also be easy to make and supply.
CZ- Feels very right. Decent damage, and the firing rate discourages close quarters combat. Sounds match up well.
M107- Utterly powerful, but I think it has a little bit too much damage. It's an anti material rifle- increase its sharpness to the point where it can get through four or five solid steel pixels!

Overall, the weapons are just about there, but a little off. Thank you for making them, however, because they are still extremely entertaining to use! I tested the weapons on Firing Range against Light Coalition.

Fri May 03, 2013 12:14 am

Great feedback. Regarding the revolver, I intended the reload to be using a speedloader, so you're right, it should be quicker.
I forgot about the double barrel's sound, it is indeed weak. I can't remember if I tweaked the G17's round to be in line with the rest of the weapons, I'll change that.
For the crossbow, the damage is controlled by lua I believe (akblabla let me use a script of his), so I hope I can change it to do more damage.
The Winchester and the Enfield were ok against Heavy Coalition, but I didn't do too much testing against less armored foes, so I will look into it.
I'll try to balance the LMG the best I can. The high capacity is a thing I was keeping in mind when coding it.
The M14 has been the hardest gun to balance for me, but I guess I'll nerf it once again. I think the 20 round capacity and semi-auto mechanism really should offset any reduction in power I do.
For the M107, I'll decrease the particlecount and up the sharpness. It has also been hard to find a sweet spot for the .50 round.

Remember, I'm hoping to implement an ammo system, so I want to make each shot really count. Having your last bullet do almost nothing should make you run from these zombies, or fall back on a melee weapon. Weight is going to be an issue as well, because I feel the player should only be carrying like two weapons and a melee weapon max, and the rest of the inventory full of healing/ food items.

They're certainly fun to use IMO, and I guess I wanted them to be a little more lethal than vanilla weapons to offset the fact that the survivors are so weak. I'm going to add the camo outfit with the kevlar vest from Arma II DayZ, hopefully that should give them a little more defense against the vanilla factions. I'll start using the Firing Range scene, I've been using the Tutorial with friendly fire enabled as a quick way to test stuff, but I knew there had to be a better way. Thanks again.

Fri May 03, 2013 12:31 am

Can you add the DMR, it's kinda popular.

Sat May 04, 2013 5:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next