View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 DayZ Mod - XMAS ALPHA 

Post Re: DayZ Mod v.80 - Hunger/Thirst, Zombie & Loot Spawns
We're splitting the loot up into military and civillian loot for weapons, as well as a large variety of tables for everything else (food, drinks, junk, ammo, etc.) and having percentage chances of things spawning. On top of that, for the weapon tables, different weapons'll have different chances to spawn based on percentages (again, somewhat random). So things like hatchets and the like will spawn more frequently than basic pistols, which will spawn more frequently than more advanced guns, and so on.
In short, while we probably won't specifically spawn a makarov and a hatchet for the player to start with (though this is certainly doable) things like that will be gotten pretty quickly.

Sun May 19, 2013 10:43 pm

Yep, Bad Boy's system should be pretty familiar to those of who have played DayZ before. And I'm sure you all know how lucky it is to find a weapon right off the bat; things like that rarely happen. We'd like to give the player options if they're not properly equipped, so don't worry about having to face zombies just starting out (unless you want to). I'm going to start adding the tunnels to the map, they'll simulate passing a settlement by if you don't feel like looking for loot there. We could do teleporters, though, that way the player won't be able to see what loot he's missing at all. They might be too laggy, but we'll try a few ideas and settle on what plays best.

I just finished the runway and the barracks building; this'll be the last thing on the map and have the best loot spawns.

That's the final airfield building I needed to finish, so I should be able to complete the map in a couple of days.

Mon May 20, 2013 3:09 am

Do you mind if i do a review about this when it's done?

Mon May 20, 2013 3:57 am

halo117 wrote:

No, I don't mind at all.

Mon May 20, 2013 9:02 am

uberhen wrote:
halo117 wrote:

No, I don't mind at all.

Thanks! I'll try to post it asap, and if my voice sounds weird, tell me.

Tue May 21, 2013 12:35 am

A video review? Nice.

UPDATE: The map is completed, all I need to do now is figure out the best way to let players avoid zombies. I still think a tunnel system will be the best method since it's lag-free, but I'll try teleporters too and see how it performs.

Bad Boy's put in the first version of the alert system, it should give players a reason not to fire the Lee Enfield near buildings. :)

EDIT: I've been placing some of Petethegoat's dirt modules around the map, and I don't think they look too out of place. It's still quite a long walk through one, so it might help if you bring a spare can of beans and a mountain dew for the journey.

Tue May 21, 2013 5:58 am

I don't think tunnels make sense to avoid an enemy that can't jump and have some...abilities to make compact map-raping groups in front of any obstacle.
Besides, the scripts and buildings taking form are a nice thing to view in this less-than-motived-for-modding period where mods become rarer.
I really like where this is going.

Last edited by Saven on Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 21, 2013 2:59 pm

Well the tunnels would more or less be devoid of zombies, unless you led them there yourself. NPCs probably won't use them either, so they'll be essentially the equivalent of cutting through forests or whatever to avoid other people/zombies. In my opinion it makes more sense than teleporters but I'm sure uber's open to other ideas for doing this.
In that case, you can always collapse the tunnel behind you (it's a feature that comes built into the tunnels uber's using) and stop the zombies at the cost of being able to use it again.

Tue May 21, 2013 6:24 pm

UPDATE: The tunnels have been sorted out, BB's gonna make it so being in one won't effect the alert system (it'd be hard to hear sounds coming from a few yards below ground anyway, eh?). All the loot and spawn areas have been added to the map, so we'll have a pretty nice glimpse at what the mod will play like for further testing soon. I also lowered the survivor's speed a tad, he was one fast mofo by vanilla standards. And that should make the map seem even bigger, heh.

Saven, your comments are indeed warranted. If it turns out the tunnels don't work too well after we test the map (with what we've got planned, they might actually mess with NPC pathing), we can try something different. I'm all ears if you can think of something too.
And thanks, I really appreciate your support. :)

Thu May 23, 2013 5:27 am

When will the download for the updated version be out?

Thu May 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Patience, my friend. Throwables aren't playing nice with the alert system currently.

Fri May 24, 2013 2:16 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I'd love to see a similar alert system eventually used for a Metal Gear Solid mission. We already have a Solid Snake mod, complete with box!

Anyway, I really love the tunnels idea. It could be cool if you had like, 1 or 2 zombie diggers down there or something so it isn't entirely safe. And maybe increase loot spawns over areas with tunnels to reward players who go the risk of being eaten by zombies. :P
How large is the map?

Mon May 27, 2013 6:24 pm
Profile WWW

Heh, and you wouldn't even need to add the exclamation marks over the actors' heads. An MGS mod would be sick, stealth was something I always thought CC could use more of.

For the tunnels, we're planning a few random events when you enter them. This is to counteract the convenience of using such a huge shortcut, and the tight quarters should make things intense.

The map is 18000 pixels wide, but we can get away with it because it's only 600 pixels tall. In the Chernarus activity, you won't be ordering stuff from dropships or jetpacking around, so we were able to make it quite large. The total area isn't much more than a vanilla map, so it runs well too.

Bad Boy's still working on the alerts system, it's proving a little more difficult than we had thought. He says the problem lies with the throwables, but the weapons and light sources seem to be working very well. We're also working on a system that will mask the interiors of buildings with a copy of their backgrounds (using the foreground trick the trees use), so you won't be able to see if there are zombies in the building unless you're close to it/ inside. Unfortunately we can't hide the loot with this message, their floating names will still show even if their sprites don't.

Mon May 27, 2013 7:41 pm

As uber said, there are definitely gonna be bad things in the tunnels, zombies'll sometimes spawn behind you and sneak up on you, and there'll be traps that can cripple you and so on. I'm also thinking of putting in some NPC encounters that happen specifically in tunnels and so on. Add that to the risk of starvation/dehydration, the either constant darkness or at least less light, and the lack of extra loot and they definitely won't be a cakewalk.

As for the alert system, it's been quite a few years since I played MGS so I don't remember the specifics of how it worked (shameful I know), but this isn't so complex as its I'm sure. Seeing a body won't alert things, for example, since CC's bodies turn into scrap. There are probably other things that could stand to be added to it, if anyone has suggestions please share them. For anyone who cares, a somewhat lengthy explanation of my alert system follows:

To correct uber a bit (this was my fault for not giving him all the info), most of this is done, but I'm running into errors with ShortestDistance when spawning, as well as some other weird stuff. It's just various bugs or typos somewhere that I've yet to nail down. That said, it's coming along nicely, just a bit slowly at the moment.

Mon May 27, 2013 8:22 pm

The alert system made is quite interesting Bad Boy and I find nothing to say but something about the time where the noise value goes back to 0. It has to be quite long for the zombies because the already existing ones may take time to walk and a little more faster for the survivors. The rotting brains must pay a lot more attention to a noise than a scared guy weeping under his bed, hoping that the zombies won't get him. As a zombie culture pseudo-fan, I think a passive/friendly survivor could just say "Meh" when hearing a gunshot and a bandit would just run to it.
Btw uberhen, I've noticed that the foreground trees sometimes just disappear when i use certain old lua stuff. What are they ? Entities ?

Tue May 28, 2013 4:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next