View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 DayZ Mod - XMAS ALPHA 

Post Re: DayZ Mod v.68 - Try out the Chernarus TEST Map
I'll add a few more weapons once all the systems are in place. How would I make the DMR different from the M14, though? It would handle pretty much the same way in-game.

The first version of the hunger and thirst systems are coded and working very nicely. They can even be applied to NPCs, so that might make for some interesting opportunities. I've still got to make around 8 new buildings for the map, but that should only take a couple of days once I start on them. Also, it looks like the spawn systems will be able to be implemented similar to those found in Arma II DayZ, but there still is a lot of testing to be done.

Right now we're taking a little break to focus on other stuff, but your patience will be worth the wait I'm sure. :)

Sat May 04, 2013 8:58 pm

I can't wait for the hunger system! I've never played any CC mod with depth/complexity that high. When zombie spawns are added too, just... wow. Finally a /SURVIVAL/ mod that isn't just about aiming at a door with a rifle!

Sat May 04, 2013 9:19 pm

Make that the Player/Survivors spawn with a Makarov and 1 Can of Bean. It may be making Spawncamping more likely, but hey, sometimes there are too much zombies to get your hands on the mighty Mountain Dew.

Sat May 04, 2013 9:25 pm

That would be too kind to the player. :) We'll test it further once the loot spawn mechanics are in place, but a crowbar is all you'll be getting for now.

In other news, I've been told the zombie spawn system is operational, though I haven't been able to test it myself just yet. Changing the zombie AI is going to be quite a hard task, but there are already a few parameters working (zombie aggro requirements, distance until they lose interest and resume wandering).

EDIT: I got the spawn system working in my copy, I forgot to add a "1" to the end of the spawn area presetname. :P The actual spawning works quite well, but we're only using culled clones with chainsaws at the moment for testing. Don't worry, they will be replaced with zombies that are actually a threat.

Mon May 06, 2013 8:47 am

UPDATE: I've finished the factory building, the bridge, and placed them on the map along with two forest areas. The map is pretty much halfway done, but I've still got to work on the firehouse, hospital, ATC tower, barracks and hangars. Bad Boy has been doing outstanding work on the scripts, and Kettenkrad has resprited most of the weapons with versions that will fit much better in CC. Here's a teaser of what's in store:

If the timing permits, I would like to get another version up with a more complete map and the new weapon sprites integrated in a few days. And I apologize if you guys were looking forward to trying them, but the hunger/thirst and zombie spawn systems are still in a WIP state and need more testing, so don't expect them to make an appearance in the next version.

Tue May 07, 2013 10:02 am

These sprites are very sexy, can't wait for the scripts too.
btw, if you need an idea for the next weapon, the ghillie suit might need a matching rifle (with camo)

Tue May 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Playing this with the braindead mod makes it like the real DayZ, but in 2D and without multiplayer. But it's still fun!

Tue May 07, 2013 9:11 pm

Saven wrote:
These sprites are very sexy, can't wait for the scripts too.
btw, if you need an idea for the next weapon, the ghillie suit might need a matching rifle (with camo)

They're great, aren't they? Thank Kettenkrad, he's always done amazing pixelwork.
And there's a camo SVD in DayZ that would fit the bill, it's even covered in moss like the ghillie suit.
halo117 wrote:
Playing this with the braindead mod makes it like the real DayZ, but in 2D and without multiplayer. But it's still fun!

I'll have to try that, I never got around to playing Braindead.

BTW, I've got the fire station completed, what do you guys think?
Image vs Image

Man, now I really feel that I should go back and make the supermarket look more like its Arma II DayZ counterpart.

Wed May 08, 2013 2:23 am

The firestation is quite nice but there are two things that bothers me;
First, the windows on the left side looks a little disproportionate and this particular part of the building seems to be too short compared to its 3D counterpart.
Second, I don't know if there's any in Dayz but a window in the tower would be good for sniping things (with the sides of the building restricting the angle thus preserving some undead lives)

Wed May 08, 2013 11:21 am

I'll add the smaller windows to the tower, I think that would be cool. Don't want the player escaping through them though, they should get trapped if they attract zombies while they're up there. I'll try to tweak the facade a bit, it is kind of disproportionate.

UPDATE: Two junk items are finished, the tin can and empty whiskey bottle. They function exactly as they do in Arma II DayZ: throw 'em, and they should distract zombies when they impact.
The hospital is 50% done, I just have to take a few liberties with the interior since most of it isn't accessible in DayZ, and add some background decorations.

EDIT: Okay, it's done. I hope the blood isn't too much. :P

EDIT: Here's the edited Control Tower. This one was hard to proportion, but I think it's alright.

EDIT: Finally, here's another residential building.

The map is about 65% complete at this point, I just have to finish the airfield.

Wed May 08, 2013 11:03 pm

UPDATE: The loot spawn system is working nicely, Bad Boy really outdid himself on that one. We've been thinking about what could be done with the different teams of NPCs; currently there are survivors (friendly, most likely) and bandits, with room for another meta-faction that could be hostile to both or friendly depending on what we decide to do. I'd like to see small squads of some group sent your way, have them holed up in a building as their base, or something like that. There really should be a lot of possibilities. First we have to see what's actually feasible, but I think we can come up with something cool using them.

Fri May 10, 2013 10:22 am

The buildings look alright, the Control Tower seems a little empty though, it could have some electrical stuff or something.
The idea of some NPC survivors is ok and they could react to the player's actions like be lured by a flare or gunshots, searching the buildings for supplies and killing to have some, that kind of every man for himself agressive behavior... (Yeah, like the players of the Arma II DayZ)

Fri May 10, 2013 11:46 am

It would be fun playing with friendly fire.
And the behavior of Players...well, all they want to is to survive.

Fri May 10, 2013 9:18 pm

That fits nicely, it's almost TOO scary to be honest. You could easily balance out ambient sounds like those along with actual tracks. Why use music sounding like John Carpenters when you can use the actual movie theme? An assortment of pieces from well known movies and games could serve as a great attraction for players. Also, I think if you are going to be having this zombie defense or zombie scenario mode, you should include a smaller map for players with slower computers. Maybe just a small plain with a bunker in the middle, with zombies attacking both sides like a typical defense mode.

Perhaps the bunker could be underground, as to not give player the advantage of height, and also hindering escape quite a bit for added intensity.
I would like to help with something or create the scene myself, but unfortunately I can't really mod.

Sat May 11, 2013 9:09 am

Saven wrote:
The buildings look alright, the Control Tower seems a little empty though, it could have some electrical stuff or something.
The idea of some NPC survivors is ok and they could react to the player's actions like be lured by a flare or gunshots, searching the buildings for supplies and killing to have some, that kind of every man for himself agressive behavior... (Yeah, like the players of the Arma II DayZ)

I was thinking the same thing about the control tower. I initially didn't add anything because I think it's empty in the actual building, but it does look off a bit. I wouldn't get your hopes up with the NPCs just yet, whatever we decide to do is most likely going to be difficult to code, and Bad Boy's already done more than I could ask of someone.
Notsoscary wrote:
It would be fun playing with friendly fire. And the behavior of Players...well, all they want to is to survive.

That's a good suggestion, I'll keep it in mind.
David Rodrigov wrote:
That fits nicely, it's almost TOO scary to be honest. You could easily balance out ambient sounds like those along with actual tracks. Why use music sounding like John Carpenters when you can use the actual movie theme? An assortment of pieces from well known movies and games could serve as a great attraction for players. Also, I think if you are going to be having this zombie defense or zombie scenario mode, you should include a smaller map for players with slower computers. Maybe just a small plain with a bunker in the middle, with zombies attacking both sides like a typical defense mode.

Perhaps the bunker could be underground, as to not give player the advantage of height, and also hindering escape quite a bit for added intensity.
I would like to help with something or create the scene myself, but unfortunately I can't really mod.

To be honest I don't think players would care too much about the audio anyway; personally I turn off the music in every game I play. Environmental ambient sounds like crickets, blowing wind, etc could be the best fit for this mod, I'll check that out.
After Chernarus is done, a second map isn't a bad idea. I'm sure I could even apply Bad Boy's activity script to another scene by myself without too much trouble, it's pretty dang flexible.

UPDATE: Kettekrad's finished all the weapon sprites now, they're really well done. The new LMG sprite should handle much better in the game.

Sat May 11, 2013 9:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next