View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 DayZ Mod - XMAS ALPHA 

Post Re: DayZ Mod - Resuming Work - 10/31/14

Showcasing the ammo system and the speed of the new zombie.

Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:08 pm

Nice to see you guys back in action, I was really looking forward to this mod!

Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:26 pm

Glad to hear :)
I've been hardcore reworking and reorganizing all the scripts so when the next version's up, in addition to more stuff it should run a lot better and it'll definitely not be a crashy buggy mess haha.

Shouldn't be too long before we have a new releasable beta, though exactly how long depends on what we decide to put in it.

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 am

Rising from it's own ashes like a phoenix. Jesus christ, maybe I'll go back to play CC afterall!

Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:05 pm

Here's a short video showcasing the new walking sound for the survivor, and one of the ambient night loops.

The systems above the player's head are still WIP, mind. Hunger/thirst won't drain as fast in the final release.

Bad Boy's been working on the alerts system; we're going to change it to reflect the different sound classes all the weapons belong to. He's made a ton of smaller fixes/changes as well, improving script efficiency and performance.

I've nearly finished spriting all the UI elements, here's a mockup of some of them:

Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:01 am

Hi, I just downloaded this, and I found that whenever I tried to drink or eat something, the game crashed. I was wondering if that was unfinished, or if there is some way to fix it.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:30 pm

Hey Greenclone, I'm afraid the most recently posted version is kind of crashy. That was one I dumped when I stopped development.

uberhen and I are working on an updated version with a lot of fixes and optimizations (and hopefully some sweet additions too), with any luck we'll have that ready within a week so everyone can try it out with the newest version of CC. Til then, please be patient (or be impatient) and enjoy the spoilers.

Also, a brief update on what I'm working on at the moment - I'm once more fixing alerts. uber and I had a discussion about how they should work and we're going for a more realistic approach that'll also, coincidentally, make them less complex and easier to add to. I've been planning it through and am starting to implement it now. A lot of it builds off the previous alerts system, so it shouldn't take more than a couple days (I hope).

Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:29 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

*cough*online co-op*cough*

On a serious note, this looks very fun. Make a huge map so that we can have some cool sandbox fun. Is there going to be any construction item? Like, maybe a way to set barricades or something?

Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Well I'm setting it up so it should run with offline coop. I don't think I need to mention the issues with online coop since that's more of a general CC thing.

That's a nice idea, neither of us have thought about that but now we'll have to, thanks. And the map is 18000 pixels wide so I think it's pretty big haha.

Also, while I'm posting, here's a brief plan (off the top of my head) for development in the future:
1. Fully working new version with all features of prior versions implemented efficiently in the current version of CC (pretty soon)
2. Custom zombie ai, custom ui, probably ambient sounds
3. NPCs - spawns, camps, custom ai, probably other stuff

Sometime during 2 and 3 we'll probably try to rework hunger and thirst a bit, needing can openers and letting you fill water canteens at wells and so on. There's probably also other stuff we'll add that I'm forgetting about but yeah, there's a brief rundown.

Last edited by Bad Boy on Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:59 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Another question, so far you have only one scene. How hard would it be for, say, a random modder that wants to contribute with scene? I'm pretty sure more than one guy would like to do that after they see this rolling :P

Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:06 pm

Well I have good news for you in that regard, part of my fixing it up has included splitting everything into modules. So the scene itself does very little work, you just include the modules you want. So yeah, all kinds of different maps will work with this with minimal extra work :)

They'll have to be different activities since they'll have different amounts of spawn and loot areas and so on, but it'll still be pretty easy to do since I'll make it as simple as I can.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:13 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Amaaaaaaaazing.

Can't wait to see it complete!

Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:15 pm

Haha good to hear, though it'll be a little while yet. I'm working 46 hours a week (most of it's programming though, which is nice) so I don't have too much free time for it.

But hey, this sort of thing is always great motivation so thank you for it, we'll endeavour to live up to expectations :D

Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:37 pm

Post Re: DayZ Mod - Xmas Alpha

I'll update this post later, but I just wanted to get something playable out for a nice Christmas surprise.
And honestly, Bad Boy deserves more credit for this than I do. (cheers bud)

To play, select the "Chernarus" game mode in the Skirmish menu.

Current Features:
-Day/night cycle
-Visibility system
-Working UI system
-Ambient, random sound system
-Alerts system
-Loot spawn/despawn
-Zombie spawn/despawn
-Ammo system
-Hunger/thirst system
-Wound healing (bandages)
-PRESS X TO TURN FLASHLIGHT ON/OFF AT ANY TIME

Current Issues:
-Full AI not implemented for zombies yet
-You can't sharpaim (reticle added in the meantime)
-UI may catch on terrain @ 640x480 (usually descending the 2-story building; aim up when you drop down)
-Background stays black when it's daytime (this may change in a later update)
-Many things are temporarily disabled from spawning
-Medical box crashes the game
-Dying crashes the game
-Consider the building sprites WIP
-Only one zombie atm
-More stuff I can't think of right now

Caveats:
-800x600 is recommended, but anything lower than 640x480 will likely break the UI system. If you experience lag, 800x480 seems to be the sweet spot.
-All the modules can be enabled/disabled in Activites/Chernarus.lua (lines 70-78), and most of the individual scripts in Activities/Module Scripts/ are gratuitously commented so you can change the rates/values to your liking (documentation of most poignant variables coming soon)
-We did away with the vanilla HUD, so you'll need to mouseover the "drop item" pie icon if you're not sure what you're holding.
-The aiming reticle is kind of tricky when you aim up or down too much, but you'll get the hang of it (using the mouse helps).
-If you're having trouble adding ammo to your weapon, drop the ammo, switch to the respective weapon, and then pick it up again.
-Before you ask, this is based on the Arma II mod, not the standalone game.
-I've reduced the amount of zombies spawned in buildings by quite a bit; change line 16 of "Spawns Module.lua" to bump this up.
-Finally, it will take a while before I can get a proper credits list up, but for those of who've helped, I cannot thank you enough. :grin:

We would really appreciate any feedback you guys have. Merry Christmas!

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/f4biz ... _Alpha.rar

Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:29 pm

Post Re: DayZ Mod - XMAS ALPHA
Merry christmas folks, both of us put a lot of work into it despite being pretty damn busy, so I hope everyone enjoys this.

The mod's still pretty beta, but all of the code refactoring is finished and we've been making some progress from there. We're still gonna be working hard on it (in fact I'm gonna be a lot less busy in the new year so I should get to do a lot more work on it) so expect some pretty sweet stuff in future.

Oh, and a warning note - pressing C restarts the scene - you'll start back at your spawn position with your spawn items, all zombies and loot will be removed. Gibs and terrain destruction will still stick around though.

A couple notes about bugs:
The crashing on death seems to happen sometimes but not all the time and it shouldn't be happening at all. The medical box crash is caused because it deletes and readds the actor, killing him but I've not properly integrated the medical box anyway, so even if it doesn't crash the game won't work after using it.
I've also seen some oddities with alerts showing up in the wrong place but I haven't yet managed to pin that down. If you notice it, please let me know. In particular I want to know if it only happens when there are a lot of alerts being made/already made or if it happens all the time.

On the whole for bugs, if you notice one and feel like being helpful, please post and let us know what you were doing when it happened and what modules you had enabled. If you want to be extra helpful, you can press ` and paste in the following line:
Code:
ConsoleMan:SaveAllText("ErrorLog.txt")
Then, when you post, attach the resulting text file named ErrorLog; it's found in your Cortex Command folder.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next