View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 DayZ Mod - XMAS ALPHA 
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: DayZ Mod - XMAS ALPHA
Tested it out, this is pretty neat. Though, it took me a while to notice I had a gun in my starting inventory, which made surviving a bit easier.

About the errors, I died many times without the game crashing, in fact, I experienced like 1 or 2 crashes in a pretty long playthrough (though I died so many times that I didn't really get too far, didn't make it to daytime once :C). I experienced only once an alert that was in the wrong place, when I threw a can of beans it showed two alerts, one on it's landing position and another one near to myself.

Otherwise, pretty fun. Good job guys :D

Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:58 pm

Thanks Asklar, and sorry for the late reply, I've been out of country with no internet for a week.

Glad to hear it's more stable than we thought though :D

I guess difficulty needs lowering, too many zombies spawning or was it something else?
And we intend to put in tutorial info stuff in later versions, so first time players aren't so confused. I'll probably try to push it forwards since now I know it's an issue.

Respawning'll happen too of course, I think it'll be like DayZ where you lose all your items and start off at the spawn location with basic gear. Uber'll have to decide exactly how we want to handle it, but it'll be in there, hopefully in the next release.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:17 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I'm not sure if it was the amount of zombies, I think it was probably that it was somewhat complicated to escape them, though mobility is the typical issue of CC. I also think that starting out at night makes it harder, for example, more than once I didn't notice I was walking straight into zombies.

A "tutorial" would be good now that you mention it, heck, a read me would be enough.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:14 am

Ah okay, the starting at night thing is something I always meant to change/suggest changing but never remembered to, that'll probably be fixed next version though I'm not sure whether we'll have the player always start at the same time or have it be some random time during the day.

Makes sense about the movement, it can get tough when you're surrounded. We've got some plans to help that though, that'll hopefully help. The simple one is to make actors walk faster (zombies as well as humans) through lua and walkpath fiddling. The more complex one is either a dodge or a dash system, so humans (players and, when they're added, NPCs) can either walk through zombies or can dash past them. They'd still be able to get hit by the zombie attacks so it would be unsafe against large numbers, but it would make it a lot harder for you to get trapped. Not sure when we'll get to that though, it'll require experimentation to figure out a good way to make the human not hit zombies, and of course plenty of balancing.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:23 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Yeah, getting trapped is quite unforgiving given how CC works, so probably walking through zombies would be a good solution. Also, starting out could be at "dusk", not necesarilly from the beginning of the day, at least giving you a few minutes to find a safe place for the night, if any.

Also, are there any timers for day time/night time? That could be a useful addition, but probably not that important.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:16 am

Yeah, hopefully it'll be doable well, so it fixes getting blocked but keeps things from being too easy.

Day and night use 1 timer with a lengthy (maybe 60000MS) interval that resets whenever day/night changes. I am planning to have different times of day and night (i.e. morning, afternoon, evening, etc.) that'll have different levels of fog. So in morning or evening you'd have better visibility than at night, but still not full map visibility.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:13 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Oh, I meant more like, a clock, to know what time is it haha.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:05 pm

Ooh, yeah, we could probably do that.
As I said, in future there'll be environment and fog changes that give the player an idea of the time. Maybe we could have a wristwatch item pickup that would add a time icon for the player. Might require some revamp of the time system to actually use hours and minutes or whatever though, unless it was an analogue clock where it could just be faked.
But yeah, thanks for the cool idea, I think it'll probably be used in some way :)

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:14 pm

An update for anyone interested, work hasn't been the fastest since release (plus we only started back about a week ago) but we've added and are in the process of adding some neat stuff:
1. We've added counters for zombies killed and nights survived to give a bit of an objective for this early version of the mod.
2. We've fully fleshed out modularization and added the ability to add scenes to the mod, and put in transitions between scenes arbitrarily. It uses a datafile alongside the scene, similar to how weegee's stuff works.
3. We're finalizing time transitions so the background will change colour according to the time and fog of war reveal levels will change gradually depending on time.

We've got a whole bunch of other stuff, some being worked on, others a bit farther down the todo list, so I've probably missed some stuff.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:17 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I definately want to see number 3 in action.

Also, a small thing, I played the mod for a while and noticed I drank cake, thought I'd share that :P

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:52 pm

Uber's working on the probably awful task of converting all the scene objects and background stuff to one giant object that can be recoloured for times of day/night. Once that's done it'll be pretty much ready to go, we'll probably put a gif up of it in action (speeded up).

And haha do we have a typo? That's definitely supposed to be coke.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:36 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Oh, it might have been coke, I didn't pay too much attention since I was running for my life :P

What things will the zombie AI have? I'm curious since now it's not too different from the regular AI, except it doesn't begin to chase you right away and sometimes they stop doing that.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:37 am

Haha I'll take that as a good sign :D

The AI will have whatever I can give it I guess, since I'll be putting it together from scratch (though tbh I'm kinda putting it off right now since it's such a big set of work). I'm intending to make it a lot more lightweight than the regular ai, so there can be more zombies with less cost - essentially they'll walk to their target and smack it. They'll run if triggered to do so (well I say run but it'll be more like mehman's mobility mod speed boost), make loud scary noises and probably leap at the target. They may have wall climbing in the normal sense or I may see if I can borrow cave's script he posted in the new build teaser thread so they stack on top of each other. The next build of the game has actor ai difficulty for different teams, so I may support that and only make running/leaping/climbing happen on higher difficulties, not sure yet.
All the AI Modes except Golddig will work, as normal, Golddig won't do anything. I'm also not sure how hard it'll be to support squads for them, I'll have to look at the base code.

This is pretty much my plan for them at the moment, though I'm absolutely open to suggestions on interesting/useful things to add.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:52 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

When you say "run if triggered to do so" you mean light/noise alerts and character proximity/visibility for example? I was wondering if it was possible to have the zombies return to an "idle state" if there aren't alerts or other checks nearby, making it possible to hide to an extent, but have zombies for example scream as you said to generate a noise alert, so if you are spotted by one and you don't manage to kill it quickly and silently enough, you'd have the horde running towards you.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:23 am

Yep, that's exactly it, when they get close enough to a character or alert position they'll run. Also, louder alerts will spawn extra zombies (aside from the ones guarding loot) and in some cases those might be running from the start.
Same deal for screaming and alerts, though that might be tough to balance well.
I'm not sure how best to do stealth like that, I'm thinking maybe I'll just give zombies a short view range at night and have them rely on sound and light alerts.

But yeah, our hope is for the player to be able to do some stealthy stuff, like distract zombies by throwing cans and then slipping by and so on. Not sure exactly how it'll work but hopefully it'll turn out well.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next