View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 WH40K Codex Project 

Post WH40K Codex Project
Hey guys, how's everyone doing?

Well, the intention of this thread is to simply recreate the units of the 40K game in Cortex Command. Further, I would also like to have scenes and missions to recreate the atmosphere of the game, and several likely wartime scenarios, even some that are faction specific (famous battles and all). Even more awesome, to integrate it into other mods, such as the Void Wanderers mod to be able to include space hulk missions, or just be a rogue trader in this universe.

I can offer spriting as well stats and my knowledge of the game universe, and anything that doesn't involve intense coding.

Turning CC into another version of the universe would also immensely help to attract a fresh batch of people, and I've greatly admired the mods and head starts that people have cooked up so far! So, those are my goals that I present for this mod, I'd like to hear feedback, and your ideas. Thanks!

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:14 am

Post Re: WH40K Codex Project
You would earn everyone's love if you could make Tyranids. Just a starter point.

There are few fractions in the world that aren't replicated by others, Currently we have;
Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Orks, Necrons, and T'au, but not Eldar, Dark Eldar, Chaos Daemons, and Tyranids.

I am fully behind this, however.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:06 am

Space Marines and Imperial Guard are pretty well covered already. Of the factions not currently started, Eldar of either flavour would probably be the easiest, and Tyranids by far the hardest. Chaos shouldn't be too hard as far as the cultists, pact troopers, and chaos marines go, but daemons are a whole other bag of surprises.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:32 pm
Profile YIM

I've seen those mods, however I am a completionist. I want my land speeders, land raiders, dreadnoughts, I want my furioso dreads for B/A and the option for magna grapple, Stormravens (thankfully now it's just a recolor and weapon switch for all chapters except wolves) etc etc.

However however however, you are right. We should focus on making the factions that are missing first, so that we can release the packs in waves to make it easier on us, like focus on one unit type per codex- infantry, then walkers and MC's, then tanks, skimmers and flyers for each faction. So we'd first make the infantry for all the factions before moving on to the tanks. Anyway infantry would be the hardest part because of how many types there are, so with that out of the way we could focus on generating interesting stuff like the flyers.

After everything that's in the codex if we're not exhausted we can do FW stuff which would rock, especially making primarchs for 30K. Anyway a lot of that stuff is just weapon variety.

Let's work on 'nids first, I'm thinking genestealers first so people can make Space Hulk missions.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:38 pm

The Map Pack three has a Space Ship, but any bunker would do.

Genestealers, they would be pretty tough, a little tougher then Iron Guard, but a lot less tougher then a Space Marine (Who one alone (Black Templar Assault Marine) Held Maginot Defense with a Storm Bolter and Power sword on nuts)
They would have a base claw attack, possibly a little weaker then normal, but quicker, from the four arms.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:55 pm

:roll: You have to understand a lot of 40K material just isn't practical for addition to Cortex Command. The engine simply isn't designed to handle things like walkers and vehicles properly. Can it be done? Sure, after a fashion. But the implementation will always be kinda clunky, and would never do the things proper justice. I'd rather focus on the things that can be implemented; and implement them well.

As a result, I feel my work on the Imperium is nearing an end, since I think I've about reached the peak of what can be reasonably implemented in Cortex Command without a lot of scripting and coding. Keep in mind, I first did the shotgun and flamethrower resprites almost two years ago.

I hope to move on to other projects soon. Not sure what, yet.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:00 pm
Profile YIM

While that may be true, there has to be some sort of tolerance to permit us to enjoy the units in the game, as much as possible. It's either that or finding another game which actually lets us mod a better representation. If so, by all means I'd be willing to work on that game.

Shadow: Genestealers have rending claws, they can absolutely take out a tactical dreadnought armored marine if within distance. The advantage of CC is that because of the 2D, you recreate the narrow passageways by lining termies up, just need to make them follow each other and refrain from shooting if not in front. 'Stealers have the 2 rending claws and the 2 regular claws, so the regular ones can just be vestigial attachments and have 2 rending attacks on one claw, and 2 regular attacks on the other (less effective on armor).

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:19 pm

Quick question; Are we going for Fluff Genestealers, or Game Genestealers? The former is always a bit more powerful.

Terminaters are fluff wise, damn near impossible to kill, and game wise, a little tougher then a space marine.
Likewise, For the Tyranid, They focus on running the enemy out of Ammo before they run out of bodies.

If I actually had the skill to Mod, these are what I would put for Tyranids:

Genestealers; Basic troop, claw attack, and picks up weapons.
Tyranid Warrior; Scything talons (really painful attack, something like the power sword), and a few different weapons.
Gaunt; Can be equipped with Scything talons (Free), or Fleshborer (20-30Oz)
and Gargoyle, Flying, uses weapons.

Maybe add a Lictor? (Use the Cloaking script from the Darkstorm) or a Carnifex (Really, Really, Really Impossible to kill, roughly 1000 Oz? Able to withstand a dropship landing on it tough.)

The others (Ravener, Mawloc, Tervigon, Hive Tyrant, Rippers (Might be able to use those, however) Zoanthrope (Might look at something like the Wizard corp for it?) Are all really hard to implement in CC)

Also, Land Vehicles, are near impossible to use, but a Eldar Jetbike Could work, somewhat, but nothing like a Titan, Dreadnaught, or a Lemaun Russ would ever be possible.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:33 pm

ShadowFireLance wrote:
Quick question; Are we going for Fluff Genestealers, or Game Genestealers? The former is always a bit more powerful.

Terminaters are fluff wise, damn near impossible to kill, and game wise, a little tougher then a space marine.
Likewise, For the Tyranid, They focus on running the enemy out of Ammo before they run out of bodies.

If I actually had the skill to Mod, these are what I would put for Tyranids:

Genestealers; Basic troop, claw attack, and picks up weapons.
Tyranid Warrior; Scything talons (really painful attack, something like the power sword), and a few different weapons.
Gaunt; Can be equipped with Scything talons (Free), or Fleshborer (20-30Oz)
and Gargoyle, Flying, uses weapons.

Maybe add a Lictor? (Use the Cloaking script from the Darkstorm) or a Carnifex (Really, Really, Really Impossible to kill, roughly 1000 Oz? Able to withstand a dropship landing on it tough.)

The others (Ravener, Mawloc, Tervigon, Hive Tyrant, Rippers (Might be able to use those, however) Zoanthrope (Might look at something like the Wizard corp for it?) Are all really hard to implement in CC)

Also, Land Vehicles, are near impossible to use, but a Eldar Jetbike Could work, somewhat, but nothing like a Titan, Dreadnaught, or a Lemaun Russ would ever be possible.

I'm thinking closer to fluff, since you just made a good point, and actors don't really run out of ammo in CC. I'd make gaunts of both types the basic troop, and two types of genestealer, those that are earlier generations, generally weaker and do pick up weapons, and the claw types, both of which are mid range infantry, still blazingly fast but their eliteness should be reflected in the cost. Plus, you're not going to field as many in this type of game. On the plus side, hive city maps should be really fun.

Zoanthropes shouldn't be that hard, just limit the amount of powers to the lance (just a shooty weapon) a shield and some sort of agility buff to nearby units (it increases their speed, but since the zoanthrope is a bit slow, it won't help them if they run outside the range so it translates to agility.)

Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:36 pm

I'd Personally say Skip Zoanthropes, and just go with ones that actually touch the ground, but you're doing it. So.. :???:

Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:47 am

Could have some sort of psychic bubble modeled around it, and that's what touches the ground, turn it green when shielding is active. Just a thought, a bit of a cop out but it might get the job done and look good.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:23 am

That could work. So, I could start Spriting, Possibly, I assume a Genestealer would be first?
Do you need any help/How should we do this/should we hunt down sprites first?

Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:25 am

Just need a bit of guidance on the segments that are needed, I can imagine head, neck and torso can be one, have a joint at the abdomen, hips, thighs, shins, feet, then the same kind of stuff for the arms. The rear arms can on a separate, offset animation as real arms, and then have the claw arms be weapons (don't know if there's a way to make them undroppable.)

Also the flash gitz animations might be a good place to scavenge those...

Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:46 am

Just make the legs invisible and animate its tail as part of its body.
Legs don't require sprites in order to work. The R.E.T.A.R.D.S. did this well.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:05 am

Will do.

Realistically speaking, we're going to have to depend on solutions other mods have come up with for several things, and of course permissions and credits will be doled out. I'm not in this for any sort of credit for myself, especially because it is GW's license, but to get the mod made.

So in those terms, I think we might have a source for the Stormraven when we get to it: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=20903

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next