View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Need help with specific mod crash. 

Post Need help with specific mod crash.
Well i decided to try modding and thought maybe the hulk would be a cool unit to add so i coded a new unit
and made him extra resistant, then i had my bro do the spriting for it. When we finally finished him i decided to try him out
and he worked fine but then right as i smashed into the enemy dreadnought the game crtashed, just the big
"cortex command stopped working" kind of crash. Im new to modding so i have no idea whats wrong.
Could anyone help?

I tried to attach the folder but im not sure it worked. EDIT: Worked :grin:

Attachments:
File comment: The hulks code
Hulk.rte.rar [71.72 KiB]
Downloaded 228 times
Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Post Re: Need help with specific mod crash.
First thing... having more than 100 health isn't very useful and can exploit the metagame by returning more than 100% cash value back to the player.
Foa wrote:
[Selling Back is \Original Cost * Health / 100\]

Instead, if you want 10x health, you should actually increase the material limits of the actor's parts by 1000%. I.e. the AtomGroup material, instead of Kevlared Flesh, use 'Mega Metal' or.. better yet, create your own material (In a new Materials.ini in your folder, called through the Index.ini) that has StructuralIntegrity = 500 or something. This will make (most) bullets literally bounce off of you.. if you're still taking more damage than you wanted to be, you can then increase it further, along with the GibImpulseLimit and JointStrength (but not necesarily JointStiffness, as this can sometimes cause a 'brittleness' effect.. like braking concrete as opposed to a piece of metal, which bends a bit). Also if you do make your own material you'll have more control over the bounce and friction anyways.

Secondly, I noticed that some files used are capitalized in some places and uncapitalised in others. I'm not sure how big of a difference this makes, but from my experience it's safer to use common naming conventions. Try to go over the filepaths and make sure everything is proper. Although you said you got it in-game, and most of the pathing I can see is looking for MH.rte and not Hulk.rte, so I would actually have to change that to even run it myself right now.

Lastly, your 'Hulk Fist' is calling for 'Shovel Smack Particle' 'Round Shovel' 'Muzzle Flash Shovel' and 'Magazine Shovel' Which you defined OVER these already preexisting MOs/round/attachable/magazine. So, the program tries to load, for example, Shovel Smack Particle, and it finds 2 results... Yours and the one for the shovel. You should run a Find & replace and just replace 'Shovel" with "Hulk Fist" or.. whatever suits your files best of course. Once again, these are case sensitive so glance over it and make sure everything matches up.

You call for a ModuleIcon.bmp in the index, but one wasn't provided in the download. Also you should consider having the module name end with 'Tech', like 'Culver Institute Tech', 'Anomalous Tech' or simply 'Hulk Tech'.

(More advanced stuff ->) P.S. You may want to consider raising the mass of each body part by a specific percentage. Think about taking a highly-resistant-to-damage human with normal human weight and launching a cannon ball that weights 20lbs at him, vs a human that is the same size and weighs 10x more (essentially more dense). Of course there are other factors with that anecdote like the bounce characteristics of the material the 'human' is made of, but yeah.. You'd also have to tweak the jetpack attachable to compensate for the new weight aswell. This could be more difficult than you'd think because if you lose a leg you suddenly jump way too high. You could just ignore this part, but if you start fighting enemies that put out a lot of weighted projectiles, you could be thrown into a 'roll' because the force exerted on your upper/lower half becomes enough to move your center of balance (to put it simply). 10x is just an example.. 3x would be sufficient for most of the vanilla content anyways.

Don't mind crashes.. a lot of the time it will tell you exactly what crashes. In your case I'm pretty sure it was only the fact that a lot of the pieces in your mod have and use naming conventions that are already predefined by the vanilla content (more specifically just the fist weapon. From experience HDFirearms expect custom naming more than the aHuman code). While it's possible to get away with this in some cases, in others it really is a good idea to try to come up with a name that no other unit would possible even accidentally use.

I hope this helps, for everything else there is a wiki and tutorials are all over the place.. Just googlesearch whatever you're having issues with after. The other most common problems are:
Trying to call a MOSParticle/MOSRotating as MOParticle/MORotating
Trying to use parameters that can't be put onto an MO
Case sensitiveity

(Very easy problems to fix)

Good luck.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]