View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Sticky Grenades. 

Post Sticky Grenades.
How do I make them sticky exactly?
Is there a certain Lua file I gotta copy paste and modify?

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:53 am

Post Re: Sticky Grenades.
Find a 1.0/B27 mod and find a stick bomb item and review the script.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:41 am

Epicnator wrote:

Seems legit. I'll try later today.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:13 am

Chronometer wrote:
Epicnator wrote:

Tried this, still having trouble. Halp.
EDIT: Tried using 'Sticky.lua' in Base.rte. Didn't help, it just gets stuck to my actor and doesn't detonate.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:45 pm

Chronometer wrote:
Chronometer wrote:
Epicnator wrote:

Tried this, still having trouble. Halp.
EDIT: Tried using 'Sticky.lua' in Base.rte. Didn't help, it just gets stuck to my actor and doesn't detonate.
\

Cannot find any stick grenade from anyother 1.0/B27 mods? (and credit those scripts)

Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:02 am

Best way I found for making a sticky throwable grenade is to have an initial projectile (with GibImpulseLimit = 1) that gibs into a second sticky component stage when it hits the target. The second stage is what actually explodes, and should be able to use the standard Sticky.lua without many issues.

Also works fairly well for launched grenades, IIRC.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:07 pm
Profile YIM

Make sure the grenade has "ActivatesWhenReleased = 1" set in the ini. If that doesn't work post the sticky.lua script here please, I don't have a copy of it, but I imagine getting it to work like you want should only be a matter of adding 2 or 3 lines.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:52 pm

Fiddling with the Coalition Timed Explosive is a good start for sticky grenades.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:34 pm

Large Post. You've been warned.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:19 am

Chronometer wrote:
Large Post. You've been warned.

I meant by "REVIEWING" the contents like reading how it works.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:35 am

Chronometer wrote:
Arcalane wrote:
Best way I found for making a sticky throwable grenade is to have an initial projectile (with GibImpulseLimit = 1) that gibs into a second sticky component stage when it hits the target. The second stage is what actually explodes, and should be able to use the standard Sticky.lua without many issues.

Could you be more specific? I don't get it. Like, specific as in where and what to change.

This isn't really a case of going in and changing one thing. Stuff like sticky grenades is rarely ever that simple, so if you want to do it then be prepared to go all the way.

Okay, what you need is;

1) The thrown grenade, a TDExplosive.
2) The secondary sticky component. This can be a MOSRotating or AEmitter. I usually set it to use the same sprite and offset as the original grenade.

The secondary sticky component is what actually blows up, making sound/particles/etc. - it has the sticky script attached to it. The primary doesn't need a script by itself but that doesn't mean it must not have a script, either.

The thrown grenade has GibImpulseLimit 1, and exactly one gib; the secondary sticky component. It should have a very long detonation delay to ensure it has time to reach the target, and no gib sound. After the grenade is thrown and it hits a target, it will break into the secondary sticky component. As this searches for the nearest thing and sticks to it in the create event... it sticks to whatever it just hit. Then a timer on it expires, and it explodes.

Script;

This is just a modified version of the Base.rte Sticky.lua to add a time delay; replace the time (2500) in IsPastSimMS at the end with however long you want the delay to be remembering that 1000ms = 1 second. The timer is independent of the first stage, so you don't need to worry about premature detonation, but you do need to keep it reasonably short since the victim basically turns into a walking bomb and might be inclined to try giving you an explosive hug.

The whole solution is a little roundabout and I'm sure it's no doubt possible to do a safe one-stage grenade, but I find it's simple, reasonably foolproof, and works quite nicely for sticky grenade launchers as well.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:54 pm
Profile YIM

Arcalane wrote:
Chronometer wrote:
Arcalane wrote:

Could you be more specific? I don't get it. Like, specific as in where and what to change.

This isn't really a case of going in and changing one thing. Stuff like sticky grenades is rarely ever that simple, so if you want to do it then be prepared to go all the way.

Okay, what you need is;

1) The thrown grenade, a TDExplosive.
2) The secondary sticky component. This can be a MOSRotating or AEmitter. I usually set it to use the same sprite and offset as the original grenade.

The secondary sticky component is what actually blows up, making sound/particles/etc. - it has the sticky script attached to it. The primary doesn't need a script by itself but that doesn't mean it must not have a script, either.

The thrown grenade has GibImpulseLimit 1, and exactly one gib; the secondary sticky component. It should have a very long detonation delay to ensure it has time to reach the target, and no gib sound. After the grenade is thrown and it hits a target, it will break into the secondary sticky component. As this searches for the nearest thing and sticks to it in the create event... it sticks to whatever it just hit. Then a timer on it expires, and it explodes.

Script;

This is just a modified version of the Base.rte Sticky.lua to add a time delay; replace the time (2500) in IsPastSimMS at the end with however long you want the delay to be remembering that 1000ms = 1 second. The timer is independent of the first stage, so you don't need to worry about premature detonation, but you do need to keep it reasonably short since the victim basically turns into a walking bomb and might be inclined to try giving you an explosive hug.

The whole solution is a little roundabout and I'm sure it's no doubt possible to do a safe one-stage grenade, but I find it's simple, reasonably foolproof, and works quite nicely for sticky grenade launchers as well.

Did stuff, this happens.

Code:
---------------------------
RTE Aborted! (x_x)
---------------------------
Could not match property Error happened in ChimaeraRnD.rte/Devices/Devices.ini at line 4!

The last frame has been dumped to 'abortscreen.bmp'

You can copy this message with Ctrl+C

Before reprimanding me to check the code on line 4, look at it yourself.

Attachments:
ChimaeraRnD Runtest.rte.rar [796.93 KiB]
Downloaded 279 times
Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:59 pm

The problem is in magmine.ini, all the way at the bottom, you forgot to add the name of a gib:
Code:
   AddGib = Gib
      CopyOf =

Also MagMine lua.lua is oddly named and not actually used by anything in magmine.ini.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:27 pm

clunatic wrote:
The problem is in magmine.ini, all the way at the bottom, you forgot to add the name of a gib:
Code:
   AddGib = Gib
      CopyOf =

Also MagMine lua.lua is oddly named and not actually used by anything in magmine.ini.

OOPS.
And I named it MagMine Lua so I didn't have to look around for which was ini and which was lua
EDIT:
Code:
ScriptPath = ChimaeraRnD.rte/Devices/Magneto Mine/MagMine Lua.lua

It was honestly just for ease of access.
EDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT:
Goddamn it why is it so goddamn hard to do a simple goddamn task.
GARRRRRGH.
Well, the dummy mine gibs on contact, but it doesn't gib into anything. What it should gib into is a sticky magmine, no?
Well it doesn't work QQ

FINAL EDIT: Issue Solved, kthxbai.

Attachments:
ChimaeraRnD.rte.rar [796.97 KiB]
Downloaded 272 times
Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]