View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 A question about controlchip hunt? 

Post A question about controlchip hunt?
Zombie cave was always my favorite mission in earlier builds of cortex command. Not just for the never ending source of giblets from shotgunning zombies, but also from how different it was. You had to get a unit through a gauntlet of easy, but still deadly, grenade throwers. Then after blasting your way through, you have to escape with a rather heavy iirc item that made flying a little tricky. But on the other hand you could just buy your way out of trouble if you needed to.

Basically I wanted to make another little scenario that featured the control chip mechanic. I wanted it to work like how bunker breach does. you select the activity and all of the applicable stages become available. so as not to interfere with the zombie caves control chip activity.

But when I looked through the code I see that only the vary end of the code for zombie caves actually relates to the control chip. and I assume that if I used the same code from the bunker busting lua file on the zombie caves lua file, I will get all of the lua script that sets up zombie caves on whatever map I make for my mission. This would probably look pretty odd.

What I would like to know is if I am overlooking something for loading scenarios and activites. or if the only way I could have both my scenario and the zombie caves scenario share the same activity is by editing the zombie caves lua.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:47 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: A question about controlchip hunt?
When you select a mission the game scans the activity script for the GetArea keyword, and only allow you to run the activity in a scene that has the correct areas defined. For example control chip hunt use the following areas (inside quotes):
Code:
self.bombPickupArea = SceneMan.Scene:GetArea("Bomb Pickup");
self.bombPickupArea2 = SceneMan.Scene:GetArea("Bomb Pickup 2");
self.caveArea = SceneMan.Scene:GetArea("Cave");
self.innerCaveArea = SceneMan.Scene:GetArea("Inner Cave");
self.artifactArea = SceneMan.Scene:GetArea("Artifact Pickup");
self:SetLZArea(Activity.TEAM_1, SceneMan.Scene:GetArea("LZ Team 1"));
self:SetLZArea(Activity.TEAM_2, SceneMan.Scene:GetArea("LZ Team 2"));

So if you add areas with these names in the area editor to your own scene, it will be compatible with the control chip hunt activity.

Does this answer your question?

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Sort of, but is this from the Zombiecave.lua script? doesn't it also place a bunch of scenery items and the zombie spawners in the same script?

If I understand this right, any map I made that fit the script would always have the zombie cave scenery spawning in the middle of it.

Edit: actually the scenery isn't placed in the script, just the Zombie spawners, and the chip case. Is it possible to move that code into the Zombiecave.ini file so that it doesn't interfere with other maps I make?

I realize that Control chip hunt was originally a campaign stage, but I could see it working quite well as a variation of bunker breach were your goal is to infiltrate a base and escape. With the added difficulty of keeping the control chip intact. Its like a cortex command capture the flag mode.

Hmm, combine this with campaign mode, hide your control chip in one of your bases and make you opponent fight through the bunker to find out if its there!

Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Activities require 3 files: A scene.ini, an activity.ini and an activity.lua

The scene file just defines what the scene looks like and what bunker modules are placed on it. The activity.ini defines the activity and some starting settings and the activity.lua is the file that controls all the stuff that actually happens in an activity (enemies spawning and that kind of thing)

So it's a bit more complicated than you think. If you really want to learn more check out weegee's tutorials here: http://forums.datarealms.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16219, they do a good job of explaining stuff.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Look, what I want to do is take the built in Controlchip hunt mission activity, and make another map that is selectable when you pick that activity from the menu.

If I make a map with the correct zones set up, and load it under the ControlChip hunt mission activity I will get two floating zombie spawners somewhere. becaus of this code.

This is in the LUA file instead of the .ini file.
What I want to know since I want to make everything look nice and pretty in game is if there is a way to move these objects to the zombie caves.ini file Because I don't always want to have to place my ControlChip at 203,494 on the map.
I would rather not make a Seperate activity file, since that would result in having two controlchip hunt activities in the scenario menu.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:47 am

4 Steps:
Set up areas in your scene for each bomb dropper and zombie dropper, (e.g. spawner1, bomb1, spawner2, etc.).
Import those areas like other areas are imported up at the top, SceneMan.GetSceneArea("..."); or whatever.
Change the position line for each spawner and bomb dropper so it reads thing.pos = AreaNameHere.GetCenterPoint();
Repeat this process for the chip case.
That'll probably do it :)

Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]