View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Exploding Arms 

Post Exploding Arms
Alright, I admit, I am a very new modder. The problem I am having is probably due to my own incompetence, but here we go. Whenever I try to make a gun, which I've done twice now, both assault rifles, simply touching an enemy with the gun causes the user's arms to explode. I have tried every solution I can think of, and I can't fix it. I'll show the code if it's needed to figure out the problem, though I doubt it will be. If anyone has any clue what the problem is, please tell me.
It seems to happen whenever I walk the actor into a surface, allowing the gun to touch something. The arms simply explode and the gun falls to the ground.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:09 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: Exploding Arms
Sounds like a problem of JointStrength/JointStiffness. JointStrength is how much strength you need to apply to the attachable to make it detach from the parent (in this case, how much strength you need to apply to the gun to make the actor drop it). JointStiffness is how much energy is transferred from the attachable to the parent (using strength*JointStiffness, reason why JointStiffness should always be between 0 and 1).

I think that you are using high values in both, particularily JointStiffness, in such way that when the gun touches something, the strength the arm recieves is multiplied greatly, destroying the arm.

Just a blind guess, only thing that comes to mind without staring at the code :P

Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:21 am

I thought that was the issue too. My JointStiffness is set to 0.5, and the JointStrength is 100.
Both of the guns are mostly the same. The second was made in hope that I wouldn't make the same mistake again.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:34 am

Those rifles look to be way too heavy. Most guns are in the 3-6 Mass range.

That said I can't say anything more without seeing the stats of the magazine and projectile. What's the mass of the bullets and what's their firevelocity? 1000RPM with high-mass rounds is probably the cause of the problem here.

Also, the important part of JointStrength/Stiffness is on the wielding actor, not the gun itself, IIRC?

Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:42 am
Profile YIM
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Yeah, was thinking of that.

If he's using a modded actor the issue could be the actor.

I'm also intrigued, it only happened when the gun touched something? What about when it fired?

Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:46 am

Nah, mass shouldn't be the problem, IIRC the heavy cannon in my Dummy expansion weighs 65 and fires 400kg mass slugs.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:02 am

Firing was completely fine, and the weight seemed to have about as much affect on the actors as a standard Coalition rifle. The arms just break off whenever the actor walks into a surface with the gun facing forward. It's as soon as pressure is put on the gun itself.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:26 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Are you using a modded actor? Or is it a vanilla one?

Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:08 pm

Vanilla. And I've tried many different ones. I made the first gun and gave up because of this problem about a year ago and just recently decided to try again.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:55 am

Try using more standard AtomGroup and DeepGroup settings;

Edit: nvm a lot of weapons seem to use your atomgroup settings... Are you having the magazine with HitsMOs/GetsHitByMOs?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]