View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Battlefield 2142 mod - in progress 

Post Battlefield 2142 mod - in progress
7 (goddamn) years since I first made a SCAR-11 for B10 if I'm not mistaken, I'm starting up a new 2142 mod for CC. This time I'm planning on incorporating all the weapons; at least one, up to four actors for each PAC and EU and if I'm feeling really ambitious, the gunships and dropships for each side based on the AirSupport mod. I've got about 30% of the weapons sprited, though they definitely need improvement. I'm getting all the art and sound out the way first.
My first problem is, I can't find the firing sounds for the EU Engineer's SMG or the Lambert Carbine in 2142's files. Everything else is there as far as I've seen though. Anyone know where they're located? I have a feeling they may be sped up/re-mixed versions of existing firing sounds, but I have no audio editing software to do it myself

Key:
In-game
Sprited
Planned
Wishful thinking
P = Placeholder sprite - Basic outline but no detail
I = Sprite in need of improvement

Weapons:
EU:
P-33 Pereira Revolver
Turcotte Rapid SMG I
SCAR-11 AR I
Moretti SR-4 Sniper Rifle I
Bianchi FA-6 LMG I
Mitchell AV-18 Rocket Launcher

PAC:
Takao T-20 Pistol
Malkov RK-11 PDW I
Krylov FA-37 AR I
Park-52 Sniper Rifle
Shuko K-80 LMG I
Sudnik-VP Rocket Launcher

Common:
Lambert Carbine P
Zeller-H Sniper Rifle
Voss L-AR P
Baur H-AR P
Bofors AR
Ganz MMG
Clark-15B Shotgun
Clark-12RDX
Pilum H-AVR Anti-tank Rifle
FRG-1 Hand Grenade
Herzog AR Shotgun
PK-74 AR Rockets

Actors:
EU:
Basic Soldier
Recon
Assault
Engineer
Support
Heavy/Light armour variants of each

PAC:
Basic Soldier
Recon
Assault
Engineer
Support
Heavy/Light armour variants of each

Utilities:
SD-8 Accipiter Gun Drone
A-12 Enforcer Deployable Sentry gun
Medic Hub
Ammo Hub (Idea for this is either 1: Limited reloads (But who wants that) or 2: Perpetually refilling magazines for friendly actors in vicinity)

Craft:
EU:
UD-6 Talon Gunship
UD-12 Shepherd Dropship

PAC:
Type-4 Doragon Gunship
BTR-20 Yastreb Dropship

Common:
Drop Pod

If I do ever get around to doing the dropships, I want them to be able to deploy the troops via drop pod, but that's some Lua wizardry for some next man to handle
With the Actors, if I don't do individual ones for each class, I'll simply have the corresponding loadouts on the basic one.

Special thanks to Lizzrd for showing me how to shade properly. He did up the Krylov for me. (Implementation to existing sprites ongoing)

Attachments:
sheetA.bmp [9.81 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Last edited by Morbo!!! on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:09 am, edited 6 times in total.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:58 pm

Post Re: Battlefield 2142 mod - in progress
Your choice of blue is terrible and is almost unreadable.

That said!

Quote:
My first problem is, I can't find the firing sounds for the EU Engineer's SMG or the Lambert Carbine in 2142's files. Everything else is there as far as I've seen though. Anyone know where they're located? I have a feeling they may be sped up/re-mixed versions of existing firing sounds, but I have no audio editing software to do it myself

If you have access to the files, you should be able to poke around in the actual weapon configuration and see if you can pull filepaths and other data out of those. I used to tweak/mod BF2142 a few years back, mostly vehicle stuff, and as I recall most of the stuff was readable with any basic text editor.

I'll see if I can dig up my old copy and poke around in the files as well.

----

Quote:
Herzog AR Shotgun
PK-74 AR Rockets

These should be really easy to do, there's a couple of different methods. One of them is extremely Lua-lite (swap mags w/ scripts, optionally force reload, easy) the others are a bit more complicated. But that bridge can be crossed when it's reached.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:39 am
Profile YIM

That'd be lovely. I've not much experience with "poking around" beyond editing .ini files for games that have them, and the refractor Battlefields' files are convoluted but at least easily accessible. I wouldn't know why those files wouldn't be in the same archive as the rest of the weapon sounds though.
As for the Herzog/PKs, ideally it'd be a pie menu option or even more ideally a keybind. With the PKs I'd like to give them airburst capability where the range is set by aiming out to the detonation distance and pressing a key to set it. That said I can't do Lua to save my life. I want to do firemodes too for what it's worth, but that's super-low priority since they don't have that much use in CC.
With the sprites, I'm concentrating on getting their profiles correct so I can get them functional with sorted offsets before I get to adding detail and shading to them

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:54 am

You want the .tweak files, incidentally. In any case, I found the SMG and carbine sounds;

...\Battlefield 2142\mods\bf2142\Sound_client.zip\Weapons\AssaultRifles\

How you missed them, if you found the other AR sounds, is beyond me. :???:

---

Keybinding is not really an ideal solution, esp. for gamepad users. It can work, but piemenu is probably better (if somewhat more fiddly to use).

Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:21 am
Profile YIM

The EU_SMG is the Voss actually, and yeah I'd listened to the unl_Carbine one and mistaken it for the SCAR's sound. Which leads me to another problem. I mistook the Baur's sound for the SCAR's, which is also mysteriously not present.

Edit:
Looking through those tweak files, it seems I was right - those files set the pitch and otherwise modify the original sound file as they play. Interesting. Seems as though I'll have to get some audio editing software after all. Any free stuff you could recommend?
Nevermind, goggle answered that one for me

Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:14 am

Okay, got the sounds for the SCAR and Turcotte sorted. Added placeholder sprites for the Voss, Baur and Lambert and got the Takao in-game.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:30 pm
Forum Moderator

Audacity is pretty much the goto program for light (And possibly heavy) sound editing work. It's also free and IIRC open source.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:13 pm

Yeah, it's the first one that popped up in Google. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to change the pitch, no joke. Hopefully that's all the sound editing done but I have a feeling the Ganz HMG uses another modified firing sound

Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:01 am

That's the unlockable HMG, right? For firing it uses the EU AR sounds, pitched down - it has its own unique reload/etc. sounds.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:58 am
Profile YIM

Yeah, it's sorted now. Couldn't get it sounding exactly like it should, but close enough.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:41 pm

Updated the sprite sheet to include all the ones I've done so far. Looking at them now, I'm really struggling to get them all to the same scale, most notably the Turcotte, Bianchi and Moretti being too large (The EU SMG, MG and Sniper rifle) and the Lambert Carbine being too small, ideally the scale would be similar to that of the Shuko K-80 (The PAC MG) but to get the rest of the sprites to that level I'd have to compromise on detail.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]