View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Sprite Discoloration 

Post Sprite Discoloration
Hi there, thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully help me out.
I'm trying to get into modding into this game, so I looked up a few guides on how to code the weapons and do all that, but I ran into a different problem that I can't find the answer to anywhere. All the sprites that I create are completely discolored and look really weird. I've tried indexing the image, doesn't help. I try taking palette.bmp and coping the sprite I want to use into that, it doesn't work. I'll go through the process that I use and hopefully it will allow you to see what I'm doing wrong. I'm using Paint.net, although it seems after I try saving the sprite, that's when all the issues pop up, and it does this with all editors. For the sake of testing and figuring out what's wrong, I just take the Dummy moduleIcon.bmp and fill in the blank parts with the same orange as the rest of the circle.
Once I click save and see it in game, all the colors are off. I check the file sizes and properties and they are identical the the originals, but these new ones don't work for some odd reason.
I'm not that good with working with picture editing, so I'm not really sure what else to do. Does anyone have any idea what's causing this? Thx!

Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:26 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Sprite Discoloration
It really seems like it's a palette issue even if you say you've tried everything. I am not sure what to do help you. Could you try posting both sprites (Before making the superficial edit to the icon and the working one)? Should be easy to check if the palette is messed up.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:09 am

Sorry about the delay in response, was really busy today and didn't have a lot of time to check messages. I should have posted images in the initial thread but I guess I just forgot.
That's after I took the Palllete.bmp file, and copy-pasted the edited Dummy icon into it. Because Steam overlay doesn't work in Cortex Command for some reason, and I couldn't find a way to take a screenshot in game, this next one was taken on my phone. The picture quality isn't great but the colors are all pretty clear.

Here are the direct links to view the images in case for some reason you can't view them in the thread:
First one: http://postimg.org/image/3lbfp02at/
Second one: http://postimg.org/image/4xgynhi3x/
I really hope this helps us get to the bottom of figuring out why this isn't working. Thx!

Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:02 am
Forum Moderator

Oh sorry, I was thinking the actual sprites. Not screenshots

Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:47 am

Sorry about that, thought you wanted to see what the colors look like. Thx!

Attachments:
ModuleIcon.bmp [1.59 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:04 am
Forum Moderator

While I honestly don't remember the best way to fix this problem. It really seems like it is a palette issue. I know gimp can do it properly, I seem to recall having some problems getting paint.net to behave though.

Attachments:
palette.png
palette.png [ 48.72 KiB | Viewed 8023 times ]
Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:50 pm

A super simple way to get it in palette is to use Paint XP and save the file as a 256 colour BMP.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:37 am

I tried saving it as 256 color BMP but it does not want to work. This is so perplexing, I've tried it on multiple different image-editing software and none of them work right. I even sent the working unedited ModuleIcon.BMP to my friend over skype, had him open up paint, save it, and send it back to me, and it worked just fine. There's really no reason it shouldn't work. I guess I'll keep trying for a bit more but really it's not worth killing ourselves over.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:00 am

When exporting out of GIMP, tick "do not write color space info" or whatever it was. It annoyed me too 'til I found that.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]