View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Loadouts 

Post Loadouts
What could be a good way to extend the loadouts list?

The current list gets kinda limited once you have created more than enough soldier and weapon types. So I'm trying to figure out a way to allow the AI to use all of the content I'm adding.

The only thing I can think of is to make special actors that, upon spawning, delete themselves and spawn a randomly chosen actor. I could also do the same with weapons... for instance.

Default Preset
-Assault Infantry: Turns into either Soldier A or Soldier B
-Assault Weapon: Either Weapon 2, Weapon 3 or Weapon 4

Infantry Heavy Preset
-Soldier C
-Weapon 1
-Heavy Weapon: Either Weapon 5 or Weapon 6

I'm guessing the only problem with this would be setting prices to these since they would spawn random things.
Maybe another problem could be the huge list of things that will clutter the store menu... is there a way to make these only available in the presets and not as separate goods?

Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:41 pm

Post Re: Loadouts
I try to include at least two types of actor loadouts in each preset to include all of the content in my mods, but the only instances where the presets are used are 1) when units are automatically spawned in bunker module assemblies, 2) when the AI deploys units in metagame and 3) when the player chooses to use one.

AI using loadouts is only tied to the metagame (afaik) and most other scenarios use different methods of unit deployment, such as randomly picking light & heavy units and giving them a random primary and secondary weapon + other stuff like grenades, tools and shields, so you shouldn't bother yourself with the loadouts that much.

That said, if you're making a full (balanced) "Tech" (for metagame use) and you can't fit all your weapons in the loadouts with an average of 2 actors per loadout, you have too many weapons in your mod. :wink:

Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:05 pm

Post Re: Loadouts
I know what you mean. I always use the Dummy Assault scenario to do testing and the AI does indeed use all the content. This was mainly for the Campaign since the factions I'm making are primarily for it.

I only have 2 actors in the Default one so I guess I could do the same in another preset. I'll probably need to change the Drop Crate delivery method, though. More cargo means more chances for them to deliver shredded actors. :P

Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]