View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Incredibles goo-ball gun 

Post Incredibles goo-ball gun
I'm referring to that security system from the movie Incredibles, the one that covered Mr. Incredible with sticky, expanding gooey spheres, slowly encasing and incapacitating him.
I'm wanting to make a similar weapon for my sci-fi riot police, a goop launcher of sorts that would behave very much like the one above.
Has anything like this been done before, and if not, is it even possible?
Thanks in advance.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:17 am

Post Re: Incredibles goo-ball gun
A few ways you can go about this, depending on what specifically you want to accomplish.

MOPixels and MOSParticles can be instantly turned into terrain when ToSettle = true is set on them with Lua - you could form terrain to slow/encase actors.

You could also "stick" objects to the actor (Coalition grenade launcher, Dummy frag launcher) and have those objects be scripted to do something (velocity control? control input disabling?).

Hard to tell you what can be done without an exact idea on how the goo gun would be translated to CC.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:39 pm

Is it possible to have the projectiles stick to the actor and then start to increase in weight? Most likely with an animation to show them expanding.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Lua-based "sticky" projectiles don't actually attach to the target, they just determine their position/rotation relative to the target on "contact", and then constantly update their position/rotation to give the illusion of being stuck.

You can increase the projectile's mass after sticking, but it won't do anything to its target. You can increase the mass of the target upon "sticking" though.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 pm

Wow, I didn't actually realize that, thank you. I think i'll try the mass increase in he actor and see how it goes, I assume the effect is reversable as well.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Should be reversable, yes.

A while ago I found some strange effects occuring when trying to add/subtract mass using Lua, but I can't remember the details and don't know if those issues are still around.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]