View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Color Problem 

Post Color Problem
I've been working on a mod for a couple of hours now that I made with the Human Template and I made what I call the Ub3r Clone. (I couldn't resist the 3...shame on me) I used Paint.Net to recolor the sprite (A Green Clone) but it came out slightly off and with unsightly streaks through it...badly discolored, neon blue streaks. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:58 am
Profile WWW

Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:00 am

Doesn't it automatically set all colors to the pallette if you edit a former sprite? Like, when I was making my actors, the dark purple automatically became the pink that defines transparency. And the red turns a bit weird too.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:46 am
Profile WWW

Yeah, it's the pallete problem.Look in the base.rte folder for it.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:05 pm
Banned

Doesn't it automatically set all colors to the pallette if you edit a former sprite? Like, when I was making my actors, the dark purple automatically became the pink that defines transparency. And the red turns a bit weird too.

Yes, it will automatically change colors to the closest in-palette color, but sometimes closest does not mean "most like." It means "directly next to it on the pallete."

Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:13 pm
Profile YIM

I think I follow here and please bear with me here because the numerous sprites I've made came out fine, but I did make those from scratch, however. So do I need to use only the colors in the palete and if so how do I do that? Do I need to put it in an editing software then use the "Pick Color" button? Or is there an easier way then that?

Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
Banned

If you look in "Cortex Command/Base.rte," here is a file named "Palette." Open that in any editor (besides paint), and that will show you every color you can work with.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:57 pm
Profile YIM

Ok, thanks! May I ask why some people have palettes in their mod folders but it's only a black pixel. Does that have any significance to anything?

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:10 pm
Profile WWW

The pixel is just a place holder, just copy and paste the pic in that file and it will automatically be changed to the pallette... trust me... it works.

@Thor, actually it works in paint also. I'm to cheap to use anything besides paint, are there any free versions of photoshop?

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
Banned

GNU Image Manipulator Program. Its like Photoshop, but free and open-source, with just as much functionality.

Also, if you use Paint, theres an unfortuantely large chance you will get distortion. if you use GIMP or another image editor, it can resize the palette without dithering and distortion (and therefore, make it easier to select the true palette color).

Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:56 pm
Profile YIM

Hmm... I know that the pallette doesn't directly show up... but I haven't had many problems either... I'll try that program that you posted.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:04 pm
Profile WWW

The pixel is just a place holder, just copy and paste the pic in that file and it will automatically be changed to the pallette... trust me... it works.

I don't understand what you mean copy and paste in what file?

Sorry for the slow moving, I've never done stuff like this.

Also, I use this program: http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html I highly recommended it.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:04 pm
Profile WWW

lol @ people who don't know that the palette shows all colors in B14.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:08 pm

I know I fail, but were you ever in my situation Alenth?

Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:25 pm
Profile WWW

Just open the pallete in whatever program you use, then open the sprite in another program and select it (In paint you use the tool that looks like a sqare made of a dotted line). Then right click > copy and open the pallete window and edit > paste it into the pallete. The sprite will automatically be made into the pallete. then you save the picture (the one that was just pasted into the pallete) over the original picture. TADAA!! Then you have a correctly palleted picture.

And Alenth, your post is not informative, I would consider it spam in a help thread. A mod should know better.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next