View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Realistic accuracy? 

Post Realistic accuracy?
So, I think I may have run across something I'd like to make more realistic that I can't.

A gun seems to have quite a few variables for determining the accuracy of each shot. There's ParticleSpread for the base spread, then spread modifiers for when you're firing normally, firing while aiming, and while you're firing with one hand in either case.

The thing is, all of these things take effect ALWAYS. Like, I would expect a system where your accuracy gets gradually worse as you fire continuously because of kick, but the first couple shots would be as accurate as possible, especially the first one. In this game, though, its seems that all modifiers take effect even on the first shot. You're always firing as badly as possible. I would think that the modifiers for for normal shooting and sharp shooting would be the rate at which accuracy deteriorates when firing continuously, (with the one-handed modifier adding on to both) not a constant static modifier on all shots.

So, is there something I'm missing, or is CC just built this way? I'd like to do something a bit more counterstrike-ish where if you aim carefully you can get in a good garunteed first shot. Its sort of annoying when the bullet spread is random and you're just pointing them in a general direction.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:29 am
Profile YIM
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Realistic accuracy?
you have a pretty good point there. i think "startshakerange" and "endshakerange" would be some pretty good variables here. (you would need to know what shakerange does for those variables to make sense, and i am a little too lazy to tell you)

Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:26 pm

p3lb0x wrote:
you have a pretty good point there. i think "startshakerange" and "endshakerange" would be some pretty good variables here. (you would need to know what shakerange does for those variables to make sense, and i am a little too lazy to tell you)

On a completely unrelated side-note, you're avatar creeps me the hell out.

But I digress. I've been working out my "system" for doing things, and I've resigned myself to just dealing with the system as-is as I don't really have a choice.

So, first the gun has the ParticleSpread or whatnot, which is just the inherent "spray" of the gun. For my system, I'll go with most pistols and SMGs and having 2, high-calibur pistols and SMGs and all rifles having 1, and then sniper rifles having 0. Then again, maybe pistols and SMGs should have 3, and high-calibur ones should have 2. I'll mess around with it.

Then, there's the ShakeRange, which is the extra spray added on when you're firing normally while walking or something. The formula here is as follows: +1 for every 0.001 kg of the bullet, rounded up, and +1 for every 100m/s of the muzzle velocity, rounded up. This reflects a higher kick for more mass and velocity.

The SharpShakeRange, which is the the extra spray added on when aiming carefully, I've decided will always be zero. I don't really see the point of making this a higher number because you can never effectively get below the total of this plus the ParticleSpread. Might as well just truncate it to one number. Unless there's something I'm missing. Can stronger actors resist kick more? That'd be a great tradeoff between clones and robots.

Finally, there's that "NoSupportFactor", which I guess makes the "shake" higher when you're only holding the gun with one hand. I'm not certain, though, if it just adds on or if its a multiplier. I guess I could just run a few tests to find out. Regardless, I figure that the bigger the gun is, the higher this will be. Of course this stat is kind of moot when it comes to 2-handed only weapons.

So, that.

Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:46 am
Profile YIM

NoSupportFactor is most likely a multiplier.
For two-handed weapons, you don't have to worry about it unless your secondary arm gets shot off.

Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:15 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Code:
//pistol code of the subject at hand
   ShakeRange = 13 <----the angle at which shots will fire
   SharpShakeRange = 3 <----the angle at which shots will fire when aiming
   NoSupportFactor = 1.5 <----multiplier on your aim if your holding the gun in one hand, even if its one handed
   ParticleSpreadRange = 3   <----starting spread of the bullets

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]