View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 A new theory of uberrollers 

Post A new theory of uberrollers
An uberroller is a large craft that rolls across the ground of the map crushing enemies it comes across.

During a discussion of roller technique (in one of the newr mod threads) i realized that dropships turn not by manipulating thruster strength but by rotating thrusters. With this idea I came up with a solution for creating rollers that bypass the current deficiencies of current rocket based (need to press 2 keys at atime to turn) and dropship based rollers (AHHHHH i can't stop).

so here is my proposal

Code:
>-  is a thruster pointing LEFT (-<  is one pointing right)
O   is the body of the ship

<At Rest> (no buttons pressed)
>-O-<
[Note: See how the thrusters are pointed away from each other and cause no rotational motion]

<Democrat> (Left button is pressed)
V
|O|
  A
[The thrusters are turned 90* causing counter clockwise spin that would roll to the left]

<Republican> (Right button is pressed)
  V
|O|
A
[The thrusters are turned 90* the other way causing clockwise spin that would roll to the Right]

if you set up the thrusters that way you get and intuitive rolling motion that can be rolled to a stop and circumvents the major problems of the previous roket and dropship based uberrollers :)

So what do you guys think? and could someone make a quick demo? (i have NO idea how to do it)

NOTE: even if the amount the thrusters are turned is unchangeable you cn increase the strength of the outbound particles and decrease the damage they cause, also i think joint need to be strengthened

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:42 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: A new theory of uberrollers
Didn't I mention this idea in some other thread...

Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:44 am

If what alenth says is true, then if you make this credit him.. or something of the sort.

either way i would love for someone to make a test once someone makes a working model i'll help sprite it.

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:14 am
Profile WWW

I had this idea a while back and it doesn't work at present. The problem is that the dropships engines have a built in auto level function that at all times attempts to keep the x axis of the dropship oriented along the x axis of the map. This is hardwired into the code and unless you go in with a hex editor you can't change it. The method you described would allow you to choose a direction but not be able to stop it. And yes this leveling effect occurs even without the retros on the ship. To see an example of this position one side of the dropship under a ledge and push up. The games code won't let you flip the ship over.

Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:47 pm

Didn't mrevilponi already make this... The roller of death?

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:29 pm

He made a rocket version that isn't exactly optimal. I'm not knocking him its just that there are coding limitations that prevent anyone from making a perfect roller right now. There are only 2 ways to do it and niether of them work as they potentially could.

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]