View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Space Map 

Post Space Map
Well this is my first map :oops: . I've have a lot of fun playing this with friends and against the AI, but I realize it's pretty bad compared to what others have built so i decided to post it for some criticism. I really appreciate any advice

It's two asteroid bases with a ship between them

Last edited by GopherLemming on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:51 am

Post Re: Space Map
Does it have low gravity?

Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:53 am

CandleJack wrote:
Does it have low gravity?

It's about a tenth of normal gravity, enough to allow walking (with some difficulties).

Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:58 am

Damn great map, good sir. Wonderful work!

Edit:You forgot to remove the color references.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:15 am

Now this is a fun map. :D Especially with the updated gravity gun I'm not quite finished fixing yet... wish ywrap worked so we could have some real asteroid battles though. :wink:

Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:05 am

If there was Y wrap, where would ships come from when ordered? On topic, the map looks great and I'm downloading this second.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:50 am

Where do they come from now that they can appear 5 seconds from when you submit your order? :P Clearly teleporting is already in the game...

Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:40 am

I was planning to post a request wanting a zero gravity map, then I stumbled upon this dream-come-true XD

Just tested it out. You guys reeeally gotta play this map with the Emporeans mod. Those astronaut suits fits right into this map. Also, its hard to maneuver in this map without a digger or an extra thruster, but that's exactly why it's fun.

Oh, did I mention piloting a rocket under low gravity is way funner? AND dropships become useless since their upthrust are too strong to let them properly land in this map.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:46 am

CaveCricket48 wrote:
If there was Y wrap, where would ships come from when ordered? On topic, the map looks great and I'm downloading this second.

Anyone who has ever fiddled with maps knows that, sadly, enabling Y wrap makes CC do some pretty trippy stuff.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:22 am

I know what the y wrap currently does.

Solace wrote:
Where do they come from now that they can appear 5 seconds from when you submit your order? Clearly teleporting is already in the game...

Or Trade Star has some kind vehicle cannon that launches ships to your position, and they slow down using their thrusters to deliver the cargo.

What I was asking about was that it wouldn't make ant sense if ships just popped up in the middle of the map.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:35 am

The Decaying Soldat wrote:
Just tested it out. You guys reeeally gotta play this map with the Emporeans mod. Those astronaut suits fits right into this map. Also, its hard to maneuver in this map without a digger or an extra thruster, but that's exactly why it's fun.

Oh, did I mention piloting a rocket under low gravity is way funner? AND dropships become useless since their upthrust are too strong to let them properly land in this map.

Oh yeah, that was what I did. XD And it is fun to shoot stuff with rockets here... for some reason the ai has no problem using dropships, but I sure can't. Maybe the Emporeans are just really really heavy? >.> <.<

CaveCricket48 wrote:
What I was asking about was that it wouldn't make ant sense if ships just popped up in the middle of the map.

There's plenty of mods with teleporters, and although you don't see it happen with a clean CC, realistically something that can fire a rocket down from orbit in five seconds would be going far, far too fast to decelerate. All you'd need is a flash before they appear, maybe the flash pushes stuff out of the way to be safer.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:03 am

I figured that too. No rocket in this world can go through the atmosphere in 5 seconds and not get burnt into tiny particles, makes no sense.

If you can teleport the ship into the atmosphere...why not teleport your troops directly? If you have a ship-cannon to launch the ship at high speed, why not use droppods? I still don't see why CC uses dropships. So yea, any other reasons to justify the use of rockets and dropships?

Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:30 am

I have concluded that they have giant ships with grav beams hovering over battlefields dropping and retrieving ships. This also explains why you lose actors when you go off the top of the screen instead of falling back down. The big ships take them because leaving your control sphere without being in a ship violates the user agreement.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:41 am

The Decaying Soldat wrote:
If you can teleport the ship into the atmosphere...why not teleport your troops directly? If you have a ship-cannon to launch the ship at high speed, why not use droppods? I still don't see why CC uses dropships. So yea, any other reasons to justify the use of rockets and dropships?

Well, maybe they need to fine tune the speed of something teleported with rockets... kinda silly to guess this far though. XD

CandleJack wrote:
This also explains why you lose actors when you go off the top of the screen instead of falling back down.

I figured the edges of the map could be the limits of your control's range... and maybe map wrap could be a teleporter wall to keep a battle from having collateral damage and hurting the bottom line. :P

Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:49 am

The map only wraps in skirmish, so it doesn't have to make sense.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next