View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Portal Gun - updated 25/4/09 

Post Portal Gun - updated 25/4/09
UPDATED! But what exactly has changed since the last version? Direction changing code has been updated to something that works properly/a lot better than the old one. I've remove the changing the rotation of the object that goes in (because actors try to stay upright at all times and they flip out). The gun has an extremely short reload time and if you shoot a new portal the old portal of the same colour will disappear. I've removed the thing where you have to drop the weapon and press r to reload, but pressing r will still remove both portals. the portal is created in a nice position to the surface you fire it against now. And lastly:
It's a LOT more usable than the old version.

Features:
portal-ing!
portal almost everything! (doesn't portal particles due to a problem which has been fixed and will be included in next release)
relative portal entrance/exit area!
portals appear in a relatively good position in comparison with the surface fired upon!
revised direction changing algorithm to one that works almost perfectly! (I challenge you to make a better one)
when you shoot a new blue portal the old one will disappear, and the same goes for the orange portal!
press "R" to remove the portals!

In a later version I'm going to change the portal sprites to a more sphere/rip in time/space kinda look. And I'm going to "port" the code to B23 weapon script.

(outdated gifs)

So I present the Portal Scene:
ONLY WORKS IN CAMPAIGN!
Attachment:
File comment: not just a repost! try the new updated portal gun, today!
ASHPD.rte.rar [304.85 KiB]
Downloaded 1185 times

Last edited by robolee on Sat May 02, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:18 pm

Post Re: Portal Gun (WIP)
Very cool.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Thanks for the notice robolee, now to see if I can the shopping cart into the base.

First DL, oh, and guys, it's legit, so just edge on over to that DL link.

Robolee, put the reload time down, it's too high!

Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:32 pm

Drop the gun and press the "R" key, it will remove the gun and the portals and add a new portal gun to your inventory.

edit: slight update, CC doesn't have terminal velocity so the things in a vertical portal loop would keep getting faster and faster and would go so fast that they skip through the lower portal and splat on the ground, I have stopped this by limiting the Y velocity to 50. This is mentioned in the post below, however I view it as a bug instead of a feature, so I fixed it.

Last edited by robolee on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:40 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I made a drop contest, really fun, when the MOID goes too fast to get teleported!

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:37 pm

Here's a Gif for you:

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:44 pm
Profile WWW

Well, it is a work in progress after all, I felt that if I released it now then I could get a little help on a couple of things (as in the first post).

And, since you pointed that out, it will be the first thing I shall fix!

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:49 pm

zalo wrote:
Here's a Gif for you:

-don't quote images-[/img]

That kinda shows the lack of the feature of momentum angle change between going through portals based on the angles of the portals.
Which is a rather complex feature, and not expectable from a beta, I understand. But it's important to the ASHPD and it's usage.
And so is two-way portal use.
And so is Orange/Blue portals disappearing when replaced automatically. (maybe consider making the reload delete portals, or having infinite ammo and shots deleting similar (same-colored) portals)

So I suggest those going on the to-do list. But great work with what you've got so far. You've got portals from a gun, and that's a what's been over-hyped since the legendary hoax.

Oh, and to add a terminal velocity, you could make it so that any objects going through the portal with zero air resistance would have air resistance added for the duration of a timer that lasts, oh, say, 5 seconds. I don't know how hard that would be to implement, but I would think that it would be possible. That would be a bit more realistic of a way top add terminal velocity to things it's not currently incorporated into in CC, as air resistance is the source of terminal velocity, but it's not fully implemented into CC, because it's a new feature.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:23 am

Azukki wrote:
That kinda shows the lack of the feature of momentum angle change between going through portals based on the angles of the portals.
Which is a rather complex feature, and not expectable from a beta, I understand. But it's important to the ASHPD and it's usage.
And so is two-way portal use.
And so is Orange/Blue portals disappearing when replaced automatically. (maybe consider making the reload delete portals, or having infinite ammo and shots deleting similar (same-colored) portals)

So I suggest those going on the to-do list. But great work with what you've got so far. You've got portals from a gun, and that's a what's been over-hyped since the legendary hoax.

Oh, and to add a terminal velocity, you could make it so that any objects going through the portal with zero air resistance would have air resistance added for the duration of a timer that lasts, oh, say, 5 seconds. I don't know how hard that would be to implement, but I would think that it would be possible. That would be a bit more realistic of a way top add terminal velocity to things it's not currently incorporated into in CC, as air resistance is the source of terminal velocity, but it's not fully implemented into CC, because it's a new feature.

I think you may be commenting based on the very first beta or the first uploaded version, since the first beta two way portal use has been implemented and is in the current version and terminal velocity has been added, if the object is going faster then +50m/s along the Y axis (the only axis I can possibly see it getting that speed) then it's Y velocity will be set to +50 (so it basically can't fall any faster than 50m/s), that way the only way that the object will never be fast enough to skip through the lower portal (on this map at least?).

momentum angle change between going through portals based on the angles of the portals is currently in production, to be honest I retardedly did not think about it when making it and only though of horizontal and verticle movement. :oops: I know, I know, stupid mistake.

And I've been thinking about the automatic replacement thing and have something thought out, but you gave me a few more ideas, thanks. I appreciate your support! :D

Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:01 am

Just remember to modify the sprite so we know which side is in and which side is out.

Also, would it be possible to make it so when an object goes into the upper edge of the portal, it comes out the upper edge of the other one?

Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:16 am
Profile WWW

zalo wrote:
Just remember to modify the sprite so we know which side is in and which side is out.

Also, would it be possible to make it so when an object goes into the upper edge of the portal, it comes out the upper edge of the other one?

I don't think it is... but I will see... edit: I thought of a way to do it but it may not work.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:50 pm

sooo... a little update on it:

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:34 pm

This is amazing. I can't wait for it to be completed.
Once Lua works for guns themselves, this could be implemented on all stages.
Last I checked, you can only go though the blue portal or orange.
Can this be fixed? If so, I really hope this is high on you to-do list.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Raintail99 wrote:
Last I checked, you can only go though the blue portal or orange.

Both - look at the .gifs previously posted, blue, and Lee's signature shows orange.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:38 pm

Updated "momentum angle change between going through portals based on the angles of the portals" is now in, though it's late and probably contains a few errors, so feel free to point any out. good night

Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:07 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next