View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Plateau Assault 

Post Plateau Assault
So I was playing CaveCricket's Labyrinth and I said to myself, "I can make one of these," so I did. Mine is a bit different from his though. You are a one man operation, infiltrating the enemy bunker and killing all the clones in your way.
There are custom materials and custom backgrounds (sorta) so the blank map could also offer some fun experiences I guess. Anyway, here is the map, I'll have some pictures up shortly, just didn't think about them 'til now.

Hopefully more missions like this will be possible using build 21, and hopefully this will help tide you off until then. ;)

edit: Here's Pictures!
Attachment:
TestDump002.bmp

Attachment:
TestDump003.bmp

Attachment:
TestDump006.bmp

Attachment:
TestDump007.bmp

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:53 am

Post Re: Plateau Assault
Very fun. The background gives the scene a sort of film grain effect. :)
I made a map like this a while ago; I'm motivated to actually finish it and release it now.

Last edited by uberhen on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:16 am

I enjoyed this alot, I also liked how you added some custom stuff like the dude you control is an elite coalition and layout of the base was really nice too.

Bit short, but was fun and even challenging in some parts.
Btw, whats that parachute supposed to do? Did you try to make the elite appear on the map with a parachute or something like that?

I'd suggest make the parachute a piece of scenery near the place where you start giving the player an idea thats how he got here ect.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:56 am

Nice idea, I might add that in. Originally I had planned on having your guy drop in and float down, but I'm not really the master at non-scene modding. All those offsets are really confusing :P

Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:27 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Put a Coalition where you want it in the scene editor, and then in the code rename it to the character you want.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:59 am

Now that I thought about it, it was easy.

^ That's the only guy that I didn't get.

I only died because Crobo lava fell from the sky.

Make the ceiling stronger next time. In fact, use strongcrete.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:41 pm
Profile WWW

I had debated whether or not to have the heavy digger, but I thought that it added another layer of difficulty to the level. It is possible to just go all rambo and flack cannon your way through the level, or you can use your digger to dig through ceilings. If you get enjoyment outa digging through the level more power to you, but I prefer the rambo style myself.

The one thing that's super difficult for me is the guy guarding the digger. I always end up lobbing grenades at him, but sometimes I kill myself that way...

Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:32 pm

Hmm, needs tougher enemies, and you should use numguns' Solid Snake actor! This could be the first of many infiltration maps :D

Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:47 pm

During every play-through, I was never able to pick up the flak cannon. I'd walk up to it, but no dialog popped up. I had a similar problem in cavecricket's labyrinth scene: all weapons were turned to terrain as soon as they hit the ground.

You should make the "ceiling" made of 'test' material. I was still able to order stuff using amrobotics' molemachine.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:43 pm

uberhen wrote:
You should make the "ceiling" made of 'test' material. I was still able to order stuff using amrobotics' molemachine.

Psssh. Just make a dropship that has negative bajillion health,
and an upwards velocity vector to it, and send it to the sky.

You're gonna have to dig for your gold now. Lots of gold.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:56 pm
Profile WWW

I might've done that, but I just don't want to go through the effort to stop someone from ordering stuff. If they want to "cheat" then fine by me, do whatever you want. With Lua I may go back over this and add a few scripts disabling activities and disabling the buy menu (if that is possible) and maybe add so more AI, but for now, I'm fine with the way it is now.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:07 pm

You cheating fools. And zalo, I thought you knew how to make an empty activities.ini or atleast disable the attacker spawns in it.

I setup my activities right away not to spawn anything just like it was supposed to. As for the buy menu, I'd tell the player to ignore it.

I played the level like it was supposed to, rambo style as Aspect said. Its much more fun and tactical instead of abusing the digger where its not supposed to be used. The only parts you need the digger for is the entrance to the lower level and the small blockade on the right when you reach the bottom of the vertical shaft.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:57 pm

Looks quite good, I trust there are more than one entry point.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:05 pm
Profile WWW

numgun wrote:
You cheating fools.

Of course I played through the scene as it was meant to be. All I was trying to do was suggest a way to avoid any exploitation; cheating would ruin this map's fun. No reason to start any accusations here. :cchappy:

Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:06 am

numgun wrote:
You cheating fools. And zalo, I thought you knew how to make an empty activities.ini or atleast disable the attacker spawns in it.

Look Num, some maps are just more fun with the extra added randomness that AI gives you.

Say you are aiming at a Dummy Halfway across the map,
and as you are about to pull the trigger, a spiraling dropship
destroys the wannabe brain killer. Or a dropship lands on you.

Anyway, I do know how to make an Activities.ini.
You don't think I did the infamous clone trains in the actual clone code, did you?

Also, Data wouldn't have given us destructible terrain if he didn't want us to use it.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next