View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Winter Mountain 

Post Winter Mountain
Winter Mountain:
Basic snow map with a series of mountains scattered throughout.
Attachment:
Screenshot001.PNG

Attachment:
Winter Mountain.rte.rar

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:22 am

Post Re: Winter Mountain
Not bad. Pretty good and shows a hell more work then other "first" scenes I've seen.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:37 am

Actually...pretty good. Nice job!

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:48 am
happy carebear mom

You didn't happen to use Gotcha!'s textures, did you? Sorry for pointing fingers if you didn't, but those look kinda familiar...

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:54 am

Looks good, i shall download.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:34 am

@ Duh102: I think he didn´t (i only think)
And if you ask him it will be nicer you put him into the credits :wink:
The Map itself looks good :grin:

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:54 pm

I made the textures using photoimpact (like photoshop). It didn't take too long either.

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:15 am

Nice map! I like how you converted everything into ice-like stuff, and replaced the plants with snow. I'ts a fun map to play on, what with the mountains and stuff. I really like the wooden post, too.

Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:21 pm

Dling.
This map looks cool enough.

Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:46 pm

Am I the only one having a problem where the backmost "sky and mountain ranges" layer doesn't loop? So I have this one part of the scene that has it in the background, and then the rest is just black as night, with trees and clouds.

I have this problem with other scenes sometimes too...

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:24 pm
Profile YIM

whats your resolution? I think I remember you saying that you used bigger resolutions which definitely would lead to this problem.

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:53 am

I like the map, but you should lower the contrast on the background trees since they stand out alot. Just lower the contrast and saturation on them slightly.

Otherwise really fun map!

Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:46 pm

Aspect wrote:
whats your resolution? I think I remember you saying that you used bigger resolutions which definitely would lead to this problem.

I was about to respond with "but I tried the normal resolution," but then I realized that I didn't. See, I have a 1.6 ratio monitor, which requires for me to use the 720x480 resolution at least if I don't want a stretched picture. Unfortunately, this seems to screw things up on scenes that have a single, unmoving picture as its furthest background. Most scenes seem to have the furthest background scroll to some degree, which I assume causes it to loop the picture, which would cause it to not be a problem on my computer.

So, if I want to use this scene, I have to do it in 640x480, which is an unnatural resolution for my monitor, and I end up trading a weird background for a stretched picture. Neither is pleasant.

I'm not sure whether to blame the scene designer or CC itself in this instance. Maybe a little of both. This sort of thing shouldn't be able to happen at all if the game is supposed to support different resolutions. But, since both vanilla and many custom scenes work fine for me in any resolution, I'm also lead to believe that a smart scene designer can avoid this problem.

Since its a problem I assume hasn't been dealt with, I can understand if it hasn't been actively avoided as of yet. But perhaps now we should figure out how to handle the situation. Unless nobody cares that their scenes won't look right on some monitors...

Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:43 am
Profile YIM

nobody cares
my suggestion to you is to edit your monitor settings so it displays smaller resolution on your screen, but not stretched. so it has letterboxes on the side you know?
my suggestion to development team is to stretch images if needed to required size. such as a 640x320 image being stretched to 780 when it needs to be. this isn't the best solution however.
They should just force the correct resolution, so if the game runs in 640x320 it should not resize to fit both dimensions, just the smaller one. if that makes sense. basically I'm saying that it shouldn't stretch both sides different amounts.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:20 am

Aspect wrote:
nobody cares

Maybe you don't. But any respectable designer, be they programmer or artist, would want to take the various possible mediums for their works into consideration in regards to designing a good product. Maybe this seems a bit too high-minded to apply to a simple mod, but if this were my mod, I'd respond to such complaints by trying to fix it. It's just good business... even when money isn't involved.

Aspect wrote:
my suggestion to you is to edit your monitor settings so it displays smaller resolution on your screen, but not stretched. so it has letterboxes on the side you know?

I'd love too. But guess what? It's impossible! That's not something monitors do, really. It's more an issue of the software. I could play in windowed mode, but I don't want to. And I shouldn't be forced into it. Related to my previous comments, blaming the monitor is just bad PR.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the best place to discuss suggestions for the CC development team (aka Data).

Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:21 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next