View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Darkstorm Mini-Mappack is here! 

Post Darkstorm Mini-Mappack is here!
The Genbu map from my Scene making thread is finally here! The wait was worth it as I fine-tuned the map, and created 3 additional ones to enjoy. These bunkers all use parts from Gotcha's! compiled Mappack V3. Also big thanks to Darlos9D for making this awesome mod!

NOTES: You MUST have the DarkStorm Mod installed already for this to function.

Pictures:
Tora Relay Outpost
Yamato Hold
Hizashi Temple
Impregnable Acropolis Genbu

///INSTALLATION///:
1. Download the attached .rar file.
2. Extract to your main Cortex Command folder. (Default path is C:/Program Files/Data Realms/Cortex Command).
3. Open up your Base.rte/scenes.ini file and find the following lines:
Quote:
////////////////////////////
// Bunker Modules!

IncludeFile = Base.rte/Scenes/Objects/BunkerModules/BunkerModules.ini
IncludeFile = Base.rte/Scenes/Objects/TutorialBunker/TutorialBunker.ini
IncludeFile = Base.rte/Scenes/Objects/BunkerBits/BunkerBits.ini
IncludeFile = Base.rte/Scenes/Objects/Geology/Geology.ini

4. Add this line so you end up looking like this:
Quote:
////////////////////////////
// Bunker Modules!

IncludeFile = Base.rte/Scenes/Objects/BunkerModules/BunkerModules.ini
IncludeFile = Base.rte/Scenes/Objects/TutorialBunker/TutorialBunker.ini
IncludeFile = Base.rte/Scenes/Objects/BunkerBits/BunkerBits.ini
IncludeFile = Base.rte/Scenes/Objects/Geology/Geology.ini
IncludeFile = Maps - Objects/Index.ini

5. Deploy, destroy, and enjoy!

Copypasta from Gotcha's! Mappack:
----- Credits: (Also found in the readme)
BreensAndScrooned & TheLastBanana, for lending their destroyable objects.
CaveCricket, for lending his rotated doors and hangars.
Dal, for lending his humongous blast door.
Duh102, for creating the objects that go out with a bang.
Electroclan, for lending his ventilation shafts.
Gotcha!, for creating this mappack
Lord Tim, for not minding me peeking into his fountain code.
numgun, for making the Gryphon and Ragnarok brickship layouts.
sovietcommando, for lending his passive defenses.
uberhen, for lending even more trees.
Darlos9D, for making Darkstorm and it's awesome turrets
LowestFormOfWit, for making the scenes objects.

Please leave any and all feedback. This is only my second release. I may have screwed up something as I'm quite tired while posting this, so please let me know.

EDIT: Updated Instructions and .rar file to make for a simpler installation.

Last edited by LowestFormOfWit on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:58 pm

Post Re: Darkstorm Mini-Mappack is here!
Um, bit of a request. Could you please make one archive file for just the maps and the other with just the maps and the objects? Also, it's typically a good idea to put the RTEs at the root directory of the archive. I don't want to go through the trouble of going into my CC folder and all that stuff just to take an RTE out of a folder.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:35 pm

The problem is mod dependencies. I'm making it this way so that people with/without the mappack can install it the same way. I set it up similar to how Gotcha! did this pack so that if someone opts to grab it, I'm not conflicting with it, or making people with it double on content.
If you could demonstrate a better way I'm all ears, but seriously, modding isn't about simple edits.
Honestly this is the most basic installation of a mod I've done in awhile.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:04 pm

LowestFormOfWit wrote:
Honestly this is the most basic installation of a mod I've done in awhile.

That's not something to be proud of, you're becoming quite notorious for making mods which are fiendishly hard to install. or get rid of.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:24 pm

Did Darlos even give you permission to make this?
Also please merge this in here.
This looks like the kind of stuff I could make in skirmish, but worse.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:29 pm

Exalion wrote:
That's not something to be proud of, you're becoming quite notorious for making mods which are fiendishly hard to install. or get rid of.

Notorious? I've released a grand total of Two (2) scenes. Both of which require you to add one (1) line to your Base.rte/scenes.ini file because that's how Gotcha set up his map pack bunker objects. If it is seriously that hard for you, please don't download it. Not to be rude, but you make it sound like I'm inconveniencing you by downloading this pack, which I feel is absurd.

Roy-G-Biv wrote:
Did Darlos even give you permission to make this?
Also please merge this in here.
This looks like the kind of stuff I could make in skirmish, but worse.

As for you, you're probably the only one to have a real problem with these bases. I received plenty of positive feedback on this in my Scene ideas thread, so I took it as merit enough to release.

If you don't like it, feel free to not download it, or at least give some positive input to improve it. If you want to be destructive and cynical there are easier forums with dumber and less skilled individuals on which to do so.

Sorry if I come off as harsh, but constructive posts help make good scenes, not badgering and picking them apart, which is frankly what I get from both of you.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:23 am

But I never said I wouldn't download it.
I'll try it.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:37 am

Wit, here's the traditional style of other mods. Works great, you can even add an option for when they might not have the pack.
Without pack
DSMMP.rte.rar
DSMMP.rte
With pack
DSMMPwp.rte.rar
DSMMP.rte
Maps - Objects

Done. There ya have it. Put everything at the root and make two rars. One that includes the objects pack, one that doesn't.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:19 pm

See I was debating doing two rars like that, but I figured -that- way was the less favorable. I figured the way I had it set up, if you had the pack, the folder would simply be replaced with the same, and if not, it'd add the folder you need for the objects.

I can make two rars if that's how people would rather have it, but I don't see much of a difference when you move the folders to the main directory anyway.
The other problem with one .rte like that is it's dependent on Darkstorm as well, and thus goes into the existing Darkstorm.rte folder.

Is there a way to keep it in its seperate folder and still load the Darkstorm modules it requires? I think that's the main problem here.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:46 pm

Well then make it one rar. That's not the important part. You need to put the RTEs at the root of the rar or else it takes too much effort to put it in the folder. See, what I (and I'd assume most other people) do is click the link, go to open with, let it finish downloading to temp folder, extract the contents to the folder. Simple and quick, no need to go in and edit. The Maps - Objects thing with the .ini is tolerable because you need to do it to be able to play it at all, but for those of us who have already done it, we have no reason to go into the Cortex Command folder and we don't want to have one. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but that's how you do it.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:09 pm

Odd, I thought I had the rar set up to be able to extract to the main CC folder, and it should do everything else for you. I'll try redoing it and upload it again.

I guess there's just a little confusion, because of the instructions. I set it up for people who like to isntall stuff manually (I always do because although it's tedious sometimes, I'm always sure that it goes where it needs to).

Aside from that, is there any feedback on the maps? Things that you notice that need further tweaking?

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:57 pm

I still haven't played them, although from the screenies I know I'll have one heck of a time. As stated by countless people in your scene ideas thread, your maps are incredibly well done. I'll give you some more detailed feedback when I download it, which is after you fix the way you've laid out the rar...

Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:53 pm

Alright. I updated the attachment and instructions.
All you have to do now is extract the .rar to your main CC directory, and this handles the rest.
You still have to edit the base.rte/scenes.ini, and you still have to have the latest DarkStorm mod installed already, but as you said it's not really a problem.

If you have any further issues, or if it doesn't work let me know. Still new at this. =/

Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:11 pm

im not trying to flame but this mod completely destroyed my whole CC folder :roll:
why did you have to make this mod so hard to install?
cant you just make the map with out the Darkstorm mod just the basic map?

Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:19 pm

A) What do you mean by destroyed? I just extracted this .rar to a fresh install of CC + Darkstorm and nothing happened except exactly what I wanted. Please explain further so I can see what went wrong.

B) There are 5 steps to install this, and one of them isn't actually a step. I could make a video detailing how to do this, but in all honesty it'd be like 15 seconds. Again I'd like to know what happened with your install.

C) The whole point of this release was for Darkstorm specific maps. I have other vanilla ones I'll release soon, but definitely not if I can't seem to get my .rars installed properly.

Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next