View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Space Map 

Post Re: Space Map
It looks good, but you might wanna fix the floating gold.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:42 am

I don't have any problems with floating gold, it's space after all. But yeah, could be fixed.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:24 am

Solace wrote:
wish ywrap worked so we could have some real asteroid battles though. :wink:

Yes I did try y-wrap out but it caused the X wrapping to behave very odd

Solace wrote:
Where do they come from now that they can appear 5 seconds from when you submit your order? :P Clearly teleporting is already in the game...

Another reason I didn't use Y wrap was that dropships and rockets can be bought but can't return, and if shooting an enemy dropship is pointless because they have nowhere to go you lose half the fun of a low G map (in my opinion)

war_man333 wrote:
It looks good, but you might wanna fix the floating gold.

Err... That was one of the things I need help with, I can't work out why the gold is placed in the air :???:

Thanks to everyone replying! Truthfully I'm amazed that so many people like it! As for the details though: Does anyone think the gravity needs tweaking? Are the prebuilt asteroid bases good or should I remove them to allow people to build their own? And the spaceship, should I a) Find out how to add custom materials to a scene and build it out of that? b) Ask permission to use someones bunker modules mod for more variety? c) Leave it as it is?

EDIT: I've added a background and played around with the scene which has minimized the floating gold (though it still occurs).

Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:46 am

GopherLemming wrote:
Yes I did try y-wrap out but it caused the X wrapping to behave very odd

Well like I said, I know it doesn't work, I just wish it did. XD

GopherLemming wrote:
Err... That was one of the things I need help with, I can't work out why the gold is placed in the air :???:

Well if you look at the gold objects that get placed ingame, some are largely empty with gold sprinkled around, to make clumps. Clearly they where placed inside the asteriod, but hang out the bottom, because none of the regular maps have empty pockets below them so I guess there's no checking for that.

GopherLemming wrote:
Are the prebuilt asteroid bases good or should I remove them to allow people to build their own? And the spaceship, should I a) Find out how to add custom materials to a scene and build it out of that? b) Ask permission to use someones bunker modules mod for more variety? c) Leave it as it is?

Well, I think you should do whatever you want to the spaceship (although in my opinion, right now it doesn't much look like one), but I personally would love a version with no prebuilt bases, and some smaller asteriods where the spaceship was.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:06 pm

GopherLemming wrote:

Just paint the gold in the asteroids using MSPaint and remove the few lines about generating gold in the scene's .ini file.

Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:31 pm

They look like giant floating space potatoes. And that makes me happy. :D

Will download and test later.

Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:44 pm

Dude, you can a series of low-grav maps out of this.

Here are the tings I don't like about this map:
-It's a bit crowded. Inter-asteroid distances are too small.
-Comp AI is just too stupid to get around a normal map, so there are places that they can't even touch in a low-grav crowded map. So most AI are engaged at the top-most asteroid and the top side of the space station, or the left side of the lower asteroid. They never reached any places other than these 3 spots.

So, improvements/new maps:
-A map with nothing at all, maybe a few small rocks, like previous posters said. This is like a sandbox mode for fun
-A map with one single large ship/station/bunker at the bottom, and numerous small asteroids in the 'sky'. It's more open, and less crowded. That way, the AI has a better chance of boarding your ship. And not to mention anti-air fun your gonna get when the enemies are landing. Also, you get the clear message of 'defending your ship'.
-If possible, custom bunker modules made to resemble spacecraft hull. Though that would take quite a lot of time, so you decide. But that'd be fun.

Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:43 am

The small map size and lots of objects is to make it easier to navigate. I found in early versions that without the ship, playing two (or more) players the action was a lot more "silly" with everyone dogfighting and completely forgeting about the brains.
In low G maps the AI seems to completely ignore anything other then the top level which it lands on. Too fix this when playing alone you can place an enclosed tomb with your brain, at the bottom of the ship. I'll take these points on board for the future but implementing them here would result in a completely new map.

The new ideas are pretty good: I've already made a sandbox map with the terrain being replaced by a bunker running the entire length of the level, but from the impressions I got around the forum such a map is easy to make and posting would be the equivalent to posting an uber weapon completely unbalanced with the game.

I'm planning to make a map pack experimenting with gravity, more low gravity space battles and several high gravity battles where drop pods are a necessity and jet packs are obsolete so initial placement is important. Such a map would be only multiplayer though, since the computer would continue to use rockets and dropships. All this would be done only after I've finished making my mod with completely new sprites for new actors and weapons.

CantTouchTheGround wrote:
Just paint the gold in the asteroids using MSPaint and remove the few lines about generating gold in the scene's .ini file.

I've thought about that, and although I pefer the boulders and dust feel from the terrain debris, if I can't fix the floating gold I will eventually paint on the gold instead.

Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:08 pm

Yes yes, release a map pack. That'd be great.

Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:49 pm

if you made the high gravity maps with Lua you can have map specific activities.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:25 am

Maybe I'm just blind, but where's the download link?

Fri May 01, 2009 1:02 am
Profile WWW

Archonos 2 wrote:

At first, I thought you were a new user, and then I looked at the date you joined and thought "Holy crap, he has been here before I found this game", which I found in 07, then signed up in 08.

I agree, someone should upload this, probably was a victim of the April 1st incident.

Fri May 01, 2009 1:30 am

hehe I've been lurking here since the build was in single digits.

Fri May 01, 2009 2:05 am
Profile WWW

Archonos 2 wrote:

All downloads disappeared on the first of april 2009.

Fri May 01, 2009 1:23 pm

This thread will tell you exactly what happened, this thread will tell you exactly what you're meant to do about it.

Fri May 01, 2009 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next