View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:26 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Portal Gun - updated 25/4/09 
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: Portal Gun (WIP)
robolee wrote:
Updated "momentum angle change between going through portals based on the angles of the portals" is now in, though it's late and probably contains a few errors, so feel free to point any out. good night

1 out 23 pairs of portals times actually works.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:30 am

robolee wrote:
blah blah
update
terminal's taken care of
two way's taken care of
angular should be eventually, k now it is

Oh, cool. I had just assumed you hadn't updated since I had DLed.

-Angular thing-
Oh wow you got that going? For 360, all around? Sweet.

-Terminal thing-
Yeah I knew you had that. The reason I suggested you go with adding a short-lived airresistance property instead is that it makes for a smoother and realistic end in acceleration, which is also affected by gravity.
Image Thousand words.
If it's a tremendously high order, then don't bother, (can't touch dis) but if it were a simple thing, which I would imagine it to be, then I suggest you switch to AirResistance.

-Categorization-
I suggest you put the devices in tools rather than weapons. EVERYONE has a cluttered weapons category, even just from vanilla stuff. Tools, isn't always cluttered, and is more fitting. Extremely simple detail, but the way you have it causes unnecessary hassle.

-Two way-
Maybe you should exclude ADoors somehow. If Actor but not ADoor then [etc]. You know the deal better than I.
This also shows the next... thing.

-Portal angle placement-
This needs fixing. Badly. I have for you an idea. I think it would deepen the experience of the gameplay, and avoid this problem.
If you're open to implementing a new idea instead of remaking portal over the CC modding medium, pm me and I'll describe it.
But holes in walls aren't fitting to CC or anything it stands for, in my opinion.

I also have a more complex idea for you in the case that you are going for an exact portal remake. Which I think would also work. PM me if you're interested in that instead. Or if you would like to hear both.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:51 am

is it possible to add in the normal Death Activities so you can use the portals against AI? or make a 2 player version?

I know it's a beta and all but at the moment all you can really do is kill your own units.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:13 am

Just a suggestion, instead of lines that are akward as hell, use circles/ball shaped portals. Would simplify your work alot. And make sure they dont collide with anything (GetsHitByMOs = 0 and HitsMOs = 0).

Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:54 pm

They don't collide with anything, take a look at the atomgroups. Also I'll try changing the portals.

About the AI: for the moment I'd rather not have it on, it's kind of hard to test stuff when you have to run away from enemies, but I'll think about adding in a switch to turn enemy AI on/off.

It's been moved to tools.

Also as a general note to everyone: feel free to reply or PM me with your ideas, I'm always interested in hearing them.

edit:if you have infinite rounds tracer rounds don't work :(

edit2: in the next update if you shoot a portal when the old portal is still there the old one will be removed, and the new one will be created.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:42 pm

@robolee: Good to hear! :grin:

Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:38 pm

This is really fun when used in conjunction with DarkStorm drop pods. It's a fantastic way to answer the door when somebody comes into a room.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:07 am
Profile WWW

robolee wrote:
in the next update if you shoot a portal when the old portal is still there the old one will be removed, and the new one will be created.

Awesome. So does it rely on the pattern and get screwy if you reload having fired only one shot?

Allen wrote:
This is really fun when used in conjunction with DarkStorm drop pods. It's a fantastic way to answer the door when somebody comes into a room.

How did I not think of this?

...I'm also gonna try using them with my orbital kinetic bombardment megalodon strike, lol.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:38 am

numgun wrote:
Just a suggestion, instead of lines that are akward as hell, use circles/ball shaped portals. Would simplify your work alot. And make sure they dont collide with anything (GetsHitByMOs = 0 and HitsMOs = 0).

Yes. Do it. :P

Also, could you add enemies so we have someone to fight?

Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:45 am

I have an idea. Two portals intersect causing a unholy explosion.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:09 am

Post Re:
robdun wrote:

Okay, I hate to make a worthless post, so I'll mention that it would be cool if you made it so you could shoot through the portals. But from the way everything comes out of the center, maybe it would look lame, I dunno. And are bullets too fast for the portals to notice them to do anything?

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:01 am

@ screenshot: LOL, I'm surprised that didn't crash the game! (or the universe if it was real life).
'The Universe has encountered a serious error and has shut down"

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:45 am

Post Re: Re:
Azukki wrote:
robdun wrote:

-picture-

Lol, jump in!

Probably the poor player would be divided by zero and reduced to atoms and horrible splatter if he went in that mess...

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:11 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: Re:
Azukki wrote:
robdun wrote:

[img|Oh noes, large Fractal Prospectus ping!!!|/img]
Okay, I hate to make a worthless post, so I'll mention that it would be cool if you made it so you could shoot through the portals. But from the way everything comes out of the center, maybe it would look lame, I dunno. And are bullets too fast for the portals to notice them to do anything?

This reminds me of various Fractal Prospectus pings.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:49 am

That pic is pretty sweet. Also suprised the game didn't crash.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:29 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next