View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Mission: Assassination 

Post Re: Mission: Assassination
Amazing concept, but you can't win... I've killed everything here and no WIN. The game gets epic after you get to the sniper tower and get the Heavy Sniper Rifle. :D

Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:10 pm

Location: In my secret cave. In Ontario South of, wait a minute!
Zinc wrote:
Amazing concept, but you can't win... I've killed everything here and no WIN. The game gets epic after you get to the sniper tower and get the Heavy Sniper Rifle. :D

Indeed, that is my favorite part. :smile:

Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:01 pm

It's winnable. After you kill both targets you escape through the vent at the end of the level.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:52 pm

Is there a way to make this compatible with the IGF build?

Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:36 pm
Profile ICQ

Where's the link to download this?

Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:06 am

When the link saw you it hid under the table.
Anyways....Hes rite..Where iz eeeeeeeeet.

Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:10 pm

I'm very happy that so many people the map. I have uploaded the map again, look in the first post.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:32 pm

I was stuck in a vent with two soldiers aiming at me. Using my quick wit and calculations, I found the low caliber bullets from the Coalition compact rifle could not penetrate the ceiling. Using this tactic, I managed to re-direct mah bullets at the enemies and crush them.
Then, some mean lady shot my leg off with a bolt action rifle. Regardless, I was still able to win the mission with only one leg, a shovel, a sawed off shotgun and an AK-47.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:03 pm

So, I 'm not quite sure about this map. Where are you supposed to place your Brain in the Skirmish? Am I "allowed" to drop multiple troops in? Are periodic reinforcements supposed to arrive? (since it's a skermish after all)

Sorry, this is my first skirmish mod. And I was quite happy to find that it appeared to load correctly, and I didn't get boot errors when I tried to start the game. :-)

Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:35 am

-_-"
It's not a skirmish mod, you play it from the Campaign menu.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:41 am
Profile WWW

Ooooh. Spiffy.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:32 am

Post Grenades
Now that I know that, my two cents (besides the "healing module", since whatever that is, it sounds like a good suggestion) is that you should let the guy start with a grenade or two. The enclosed spaces and ample cover make it a great map for a grenades.

Granted that the grenades in this build of Cortex Command have some serious problems, and I'm sure you've all experienced them (like grenades going off in your hands, or even while put away, or even if you just land too hard) so in this build having a grenade even in this level might be troublesome, but still, it'd be a fitting level to have one or two.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:17 am

Quite good mission. Now, more of these or longer ones :) One suggestion i have for this mission (in addition to the others) is that you could alert the nearby prisoners to help others when they're shot. Or if not others, then themselves. Maybe make them try barricade the place, or keep shooting at walls even though they don't see the player. Or add scripted events that drive the player to a tight spot. Also, patrols etc. Now everyone is just standing there :) Would add atmosphere and credibility to the actions of the prisoners, i think.

And i too have the "corrupt file" crash bug when the player actor gibs. Maybe the game doesn't like a Coalition soldier being a brain?

Quote:
Granted that the grenades in this build of Cortex Command have some serious problems ...

You should note that they all work differently. For example, Coalition frag grenade is like most common military hand grenades, you pull the pin and the primer lights the 4 second fuse when you throw it.

However, Ronin Pineapple grenades light the fuse right away after you've pulled the pin, BEFORE you throw it. So, you shouldn't think too long where to throw it or you won't have hands to throw it with (nor the grenade). You shouldn't put it in your pocket either ;) This grenade also has a very short fuse, 3 seconds, so you really need to get rid of it fast. This grenade is 12 times more sensitive to shock than Coalition frag grenade, and requires 2 times the force to smash Coalition soldiers head, to explode. Not too sensitive, but can happen.

The third type is the Ronin Stick grenade, very sensitive to shock, even before the pin is pulled. 4 second fuse lits after it's been thrown. As the description says: "... explodes immidiatly on impact. Handle with extreme caution when using this grenade, especially dropping is not recommended." You shouldn't drop it, but you also shouldn't go hopping around or bumping into walls or ground with the thing in your hand, or kaboom ;)

All other cases where the grenades blow up (not counting gunfire), are probably because your actor gibs, and then it doesn't really matter if you're carrying them or not, your actor is dead in either case.

The serious problems with grenades are in my opinion features, not bugs or design flaws, and the problems go away after you know all this about grenades and use caution with them. Each one has it's own use. You can modify the grenades or add your own if you don't like them.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:02 pm

This is an awesome map! But it's really hard. I've managed to get past the first ventilation shaft.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:14 am

Hmm. I didn't know about the pineapple one. Also, two of the ordered grenades say "Frag grenade". Any difference between the two?

Also, I notice in this thread that the mission is about split between people that think it's too hard and those that think it's too easy. I'm in the former category. Now, which of these Ronan are supposed to be the leaders? I'm a little confused which one exactly are the guards, and which of two are the leaders. So, I've been trying to kill every soldier, but so far, that's not working very well for me.

Plus, another improvement I forgot to mention is I wish you could start with a regular, accurate semi-automatic pistol. Having the solider be a Heavy instead of a Light would be nice too, and having a full assault rifle instead of a carbine. But then, for the people that want this to be harder, I bet they'd be happy if they just started with a pocket full of stones. :-)

Finally, a suggestion for the creators of the game, Data Realms. The guns have the exact same factor of randomness regardless of whether you click once or hold it down. It's annoying to see a gun have the exact same accuracy shooting it on automatic as it is (de facto, since really there's no option) shooting it semi-automatic.

Long post. :-/

Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next