View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Big Fluff - Big drop on magic 'shrooms! 

Post Big Fluff - Big drop on magic 'shrooms!
Well I wanted to try something different with the idea of big drop. It basically creates a lot of solid clouds in random places every time, similar to how boulders are randomly placed. Death mode is highly recommended since the scene is 4096x4096 pixels. No terrain is included since the scene is supposed to be more realistic in relative size to the actors, but should an actor fall off the bottom, he will be lost forever...probably to land in Horiz Land or something :-P .
There is no easter egg included on this scene.

It's pretty difficult to show how the scene will definitely be since every game will be a different experience but I will include a screenshot of standard big fluff game play, so you can see, roughly, how it should be.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:13 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Big Fluff - Big drop on magic 'shrooms!
I have to admit, it's not very creative and at first glance the code is pretty simple. In fact I experimented with a map almost identical to this (though I used bunker modules) when I first started making scenes. A background would improve it a lot, if only for a sense of how much distance you've traveled. It's not suitable for the current AI but you can't be blamed for that. A greater variety of clouds is needed and some should be much larger.

Despite this, it's great entertainment. I'm at work currently, and the first multi-player match was so random and fun that It's clear it'll be a favourite for some time.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:40 pm
A HUMAN BRAIN, SAFELY INSULATED FROM THE TERRORS OF HYPERSPACE

Location: Somewhere beyond the endless sea of hyperspace, fighting for your right to call a planet home.
Far as I know, first use of random object placement to so distinctly flavor a scene. Smart idea, though I'd prefer one with plain old rocks, sounds more amusing to me.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:06 am

Huh, that's very clever.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:13 am
Profile WWW

Looks like a blast, got my download!

Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:55 am

pretty sweet, had some EPIC battles on these (sorta)..... and i agree that you could make it have bigger clouds..... Keep it up!! :D

Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:35 am

Neat novelty, but it's not practical for any sort of standing battle (as is understandable). 95% of the opposition never reaches a cloud, and those which do quickly destroy what little terrain IS available.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:46 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Now take it all the way to full procedural generation with random terrain slices and prebuilt bunkers.

Then get a Lua coder to whip something up to spawn enemies from all mods the user has loaded.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]