View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Mission: [Coalition] Stratosphere 

Post Re: Mission: Stratosphere
Damn, you make intense missions. This one is a particular tough nut to crack. :-?

Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:30 pm

No pics again? Thats a sad thing :(

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:39 pm

audiopulse wrote:

No pictures can explain what to do, or what the base will look like afterwards.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:46 pm

Roy-G-Biv wrote:
audiopulse wrote:

No pictures can explain what to do, or what the base will look like afterwards.

I guess general pictures of the base in the beginning when everything is nice and quiet might be good next time. But to me, that giant control room screen was more than enough to get my interest tickled.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:13 pm

Code works in Co-Op, but the scroll ratios are broken.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:33 am

I tried to start the mission from the campaign screen, and when I hit "start mission" the info describing stratosphere disappeared but otherwise there was no change. I am pretty new to this so I was wondering if anybody could explain why/help with solution. Thanks!

Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:55 am

You can try to click on other parts of the the start button(left, center, right). Or, press and hold for a while. Start buttons sometimes don't work.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:24 am

Has something to do with resolution.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:28 am

This mission is awesome. I haven't beat it yet; the dummies dug a huge hole through the ceiling of the terminal room, and I was barely able to hold them off while hunting the commanders. I was basically living on the scarce robot bodies, using the emergency teleporter when a lucky dummy got in with a rail pistol while I was busy trying to midair snipe a commander.

Intense. O_O

Also, little bit of criticism:

Make the robot bodies either more resilient, or more frequent. All those MK2 weapons won't do crap if no one's there to use them.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:34 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

MkfShard wrote:
This mission is awesome. I haven't beat it yet; the dummies dug a huge hole through the ceiling of the terminal room, and I was barely able to hold them off while hunting the commanders. I was basically living on the scarce robot bodies, using the emergency teleporter when a lucky dummy got in with a rail pistol while I was busy trying to midair snipe a commander.

Intense. O_O

Also, little bit of criticism:

Make the robot bodies either more resilient, or more frequent. All those MK2 weapons won't do crap if no one's there to use them.

Top Tip; the ai are so retarded that they can't go up the complex, excluding those on the outside, but still, there will be less revenue.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:58 am

I haven't beaten it yet, but from what numgun said, I got close. Here is my strategy:

- select brain unit. Go directly to the healing unit by whatever route seems easiest/fastest/fun
- go via the TELEPORTER to the main control room. grab the revolver cannon for your brain.
- defend your base, trying to set up your AI to fight while you do something else
- once you lose the 'outer perimeter' put the remaining soldier(s) to cover the main control console.
- use the robots which have started coming down now you've finished the upload to get command chips, then give them to your brain via teleporter.
- when you eventually lose the main control room (it's inevitable, too many dummys and no reinforcement), hide your brain in the cargo bay between doors.
- the AI now wants to go up, clearing the control room. if it isn't cleared, use a robot to clear it.
- have the brain upload chips back to the main c. room via teleporter. arm him with an autoshotty and assault rifle. ditch the revolver cannon.
- you now have all three chips, via fast attack missions conducted by robot 1s with asault rifles. now you have to get to the auxiliary control room
basically where I am up to
- clear the way using robot 1s with the best weapons you've got, get the brain down as fast as possible, also loaded up with excellent guns
- cover the brain with robots as dummies pour in. play as the brain in order to make yourself a harder target to hit (jetpacks save lives).
- don't get swamped and have your brain all alone with an assault rifle and 75% of cracking left to go as dummies pour in to the hard-to-defend first floor.

I stuffed up that last one!

Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:39 am

From what I've experienced, the right entrance can be held for a very long time. One heavy sniper will do. Of course, you will be frequently checking on him to take out Dummy snipers. If you hold the right entrance you effectively prevented Dummies from digging straight to your control room.

I basically abandoned the left entrance as soon as the original minigunner died. I let the Dummies come in and reach the main entrance of the control room. There, I placed one minigunner to clear all incoming threats.

By doing all these, your control room will be save from Dummy intrusion. Though that does not always work as actors die easily in CC, and losing one actor will make you lose the whole front line.

EDIT: One highly, highly irritating thing is that the stupid AI doesn't like standing near other units. So the AI decides that whenever it's near a friendly unit it will jet away, and fly right into enemy fire, real clever move. I've lost or hurt my Brainbot many times because of this. Whenever I tried to pack the guards closer to the brain bot, the brain bot flies away.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:25 am

That was an awesome mission. Image Hats off to you indeed.

Most fun and challenge I've had from a CC mission so far. Was exciting to try to keep all the balls in the air. Was glad there wasn't some dummy boss at the end, hahaha. Very well done. Here's to anticipating more.

EDIT: (Plus my method to madness)
The Decaying Soldat wrote:
From what I've experienced, the right entrance can be held for a very long time. One heavy sniper will do. Of course, you will be frequently checking on him to take out Dummy snipers. If you hold the right entrance you effectively prevented Dummies from digging straight to your control room.

I basically abandoned the left entrance as soon as the original minigunner died. I let the Dummies come in and reach the main entrance of the control room. There, I placed one minigunner to clear all incoming threats.

This. I did this exactly. I held the right side hard this time with just that heavy sniper and the second guy above him (The third one caught the second dummy dropship crashlanding very very early on, so ack.) As for the left side, I completely abandoned it after killing two dropships worth. Those two had much better uses inside the base holding the central area. They did take some stray blaster fire while I was sniping on the right side, and died.

For the hunting part I held out in the control room until I got my Robot, then I sent him to pick off a dummy with a sniper. Made it easy to take out the Controller/Dread combos from straight above to avoid the dread, and too far up to get hit by the commander.

Once I finally got all three chips (I seriously got 4 #2's and 5 #1's), I kept my brain up at the top until the control room / first floor was sparse. I then used a tunnel one of the dummys dug between the first floor and the control room to quickly get my squad down there from the teleporter. After that I just kept the formation you see in my screenie.

From left to right Robot w/Revolver Cannon, Robot with Assault Rifle/Shotgun, Brain, Robot with Heavy Sniper/Turbo Digger/Assault Rifle, Robot with Assault Rifle/Shotgun.
I got delivered a Heavy sniper late game, but it saved my ass against picking off the dummys with Annihilators. I put him on those blocks by the terminal so he'd be higher than my right most robot, and they shot in tandem against the incoming invaders.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:36 am

Wow, I wasn't that lucky The one try that I won the mission, all I was left with was my brainbot and one robot. I controlled my brainbot to fight its way up to the auxiliary controls all by itself. Many close calls but it made it.

Then I tried to move my robot to the first floor the same way but by then more Dummies came and blocked the way, so I sent the robot up through a tunnel a Dummy just dug (I killed it right after it reached the control room).Then I basically kept my brainbot's head down, while looking out for dangers with my robot, armed with a heavy sniper MKII.

By then most entrances were block by piles of Dummy corpses so the enemy was intruding slowly. Bought me enough time to crack the code. I was extremely nervous during that whole process, since my brainbot has only 20-something hp left.

At that point I was preparing to make an escape, or wait for further instructions. However, to my relief it says all Dummies deactivated. I thought that nightmare would never end.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:07 am

Well, I would've finished with 5 robots AND one of my coalition guys. But the robot I had in the control room ate ♥♥♥♥ when I tried to push him through that narrow tunnel going to the first floor. He bounced off it wierd and just gibbed when he hit the floor. Was odd because he wasn't going that fast.
As for my coal guy I had him dropping off the right side, but a stray exploded dropship gib spun him slowly to an angle where I couldn't jetpack him back upright, and he glided off the right side of the screen.

Also, I was completely in the open on the first floor, since most of the bodies I made in the early part of the mission had been trampled by dreads. Dummies came from the big central room, some from the left (NEVER let go of that Revolver Cannon), and mostly the right side. Lots from the right. Having the AI shooting over me while I shot crouched helped mow down the hordes trying to come inside.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next