View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Mission: [Coalition] Stratosphere 

Post Re: Mission: Stratosphere
I made one stupid mistake at 75% cracked, and died.

my strategy was flawless, I just chose to reload at a BAD time.

after activating the cracker, I went left, across the shaft, and just assault-rifled the dummies that came down. Most had diggers anyway. One with a repeater came along just as I selected reload, and I couldn't kill him in time.

ARGH

best mission ever.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:32 pm

Hah, amazing mission.

I managed to upload, go through the teleporter to the top where I positioned a coalition with a gatling cannon, he was hit by a falling box and torn apart.

I than proceeded to send a few spawned robots to collect the random chips and gave them to my brain.

I cleared out the healing room and used it as a forward base, stocking it with two robots, my brain, and one remaining coalition man with his auto shotgun and grenade launcher.

The grenade launcher man accidentally fragged himself, so I had my two robots clear the auxiliary room, they both died due to random "death by dropping dummy" circumstances.

My brain made a fanatic run into the auxiliary room, and dumped the crack into it. I scrambled to pave a way back through to my forward base via turbo digger I had acquired earlier as part of the plan (just than as a random luck of the moment thing), and almost died to a dummy. I got caught up reloading my digger with 0 ammo, while a dummy decided to stand in front of me with a repeater and not shoot. I killed him.

This is the end result.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:50 am
Profile WWW

On my first play of it, it was rather easy. None of my men died. A couple of my robots broke though.

It seemed obvious that it was a set up for a defense mission, so I planned accordingly.

I holed most of the soldiers up in the primary control room so I would have a single choke point to worry about. I equipped the hell out of the guy closest to the entrance, and the guy behind him. Everyone else was mostly going to be a meat shield, having crappy carbines or whatever.

I had one guy with an auto shotgun in the area to the left of the entrance to the control room. I figured this guy was screwed since he was cornered and alone, but that he would kill a couple of the dummies that made it past the sniper, further ensuring the safety of everyone in the control room.

I also had a sniper/scout guarding the vertical shaft leading to the control room, who would snipe down the two hallways. He could pick them off from a distance, and if he were overwhelmed, he would go down the shaft to one of the two little bits, and stand there, and maybe get a shot in while the enemy passed him, falling toward his objective, my brain. The enemies he would let past him would be taken care of fairly easily, and if he were to allow them to pass in this way, he wouldn't draw much attention, and wouldn't be in much danger.

My plan seemed solid, so I teleported my healed brain down and started downloading.

As the sniper, I had the most trouble, by far, from the left side. The left side's entrance wasn't near sniper range, so shortly after entering, enemies with midrange weapons would begin firing.

From the right, the enemies began to dig, shortly past entering the door.
I rearranged my men, and put half of them on the right, and the secondary heavily equipped guy on the far right.
Their front digger lost his digger. Everyone else on the right gathered behind him, planning to take a path through him, but avoiding cutting through him. They waited patiently in a line, within my sniper's view.

At some point or another, the sniper lost his legs and most of his health. Luckily this was when dummy progress was at a near stop, and I easily had time to get him up to the healing pod, fixed up, and back.

I was told to look for the dummy commanders, and I saw none.
I was told I would get crates of robots, and I got none.

I waited a while, and there were both. The robots seemed ideal for killing the commanders since they were already on the roof, so I used them for that, and used the teleporter to get the chips down the the brain.

I eventually got all the chips to the brain, and needed to get to the auxiliary controls. It looked clear, so I gave my brain a gatling gun and got up there.

Obviously it would be ideal to get the rest of the soldiers around the brain in the new spot. For the first one, I decided to use the teleporter and go down from there. This was a bad idea.

When at the top, a drop crate fell on me through the broken bay doors. Kinda. It knocked my gatling gun out of my hands, and crushed it without harming me. Well, crap, there goes my good weapon. But then in opens up, what do you know, Gatling Gun MK2.

But getting the rest of the way down to the brain took a while. By time I got down to the brain, there was a dummy about to shoot it.
As I gunned it down, it and I shot the brain once, leaving it at 22 health and bleeding.

I spammed the gatling gun down the hall both ways to hopefully thin them out, so I would have time to get the next guy up and shield the brain from the other side.
It worked well, I got a second guy up there, and defense was a simple matter of spray and pray.

did i seriously just write that goddamn much?
tl;dr it was easy when i first played it because the ai sucks and I had time to plan out my defense.

Great mission, excellent gameplay, a bunch of fun.
And the short hallways are annoying, but that's a problem inherent in CC's bunker module system.
Also, the "cover" warning isn't very descriptive, when I saw it I thought it was just saying I could take cover by retreating further into the base, not that I should at that particular time. Maybe make it "Take Cover!"?

Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:49 pm

It should probably be updated to start the dummies spawning 15 seconds after mission start. It'd add more suspense and give you a harder time by not being able to plan your defense well beforehand.

Plus, it gives reason for the brain to be at 15 hp. If you leave him out, he's dead for sure. By starting quickly you force the player to get the brain inside and healed ASAP, and worry about defenders second, thrusting the player into combat and multitasking immediately.

Would avoid "easy" scenarios like Azukki. :-P

Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:35 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Take Cover instead of just Cover is reasonable, will change this.

As for Dummy spawning trigger, you can just uncomment
Code:
-- self.DummyDropshipsEnabled = true; -- Debug only

and dropships will floooow from the very begining :) For even more hardcore play you can play with different timings. I guess that variable names are quite informative to work with them.

Brain is given 15 hp to force player to find a healing pod. Current sprite is not very informative except that it look like a cloning vat.

BTW, armor is taken away by the plot just because it does not fit into current bunker modules.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:26 pm

The dot for this mission isnt showing in the campaign menu.
plz can someone tell me how to fix it :oops:

Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:43 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

piefaced wrote:
The dot for this mission isnt showing in the campaign menu.
plz can someone tell me how to fix it :oops:

Try to delete Stratosphere.rte and copy it again. Don't know why this happen, but reinstalling mission .rte can help.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:48 pm

Luigi, what is your next mission.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:27 pm

If my Dummy Behemoth is done by the time you do your last "dummys Oh SH**" mission, I'll gladly lend him to you as a final boss.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:55 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

LowestFormOfWit wrote:
If my Dummy Behemoth is done by the time you do your last "dummys Oh SH**" mission, I'll gladly lend him to you as a final boss.

Or final beat down... what, I like the idea of fragging a group of these guys, it's like fighting many mega crabs.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:59 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

LowestFormOfWit wrote:

Now I'm on "OMG Ronin" and maybe "OMG Clones", so I guess that your Behemoth will be ready and polished :)

Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:38 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

weegee wrote:
LowestFormOfWit wrote:

Now I'm on "OMG Ronin" and maybe "OMG Clones", so I guess that your Behemoth will be ready and polished :)

Thank you!!! I wanted a mission with meatbags, too many meatbags to gore, now to play with the Green Gas Launcher...

Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:47 pm

I discovered something even bigger!
I didnt't realise the fil wasnt even loading into my game until i removed all my other mods to make it load faster :oops:
now ummm... how do i fix that :-(

Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:37 pm

Attachment:
ScreenDump000.bmp
ScreenDump000.bmp [ 900.05 KiB | Viewed 5732 times ]

Bad start for me.

Great mission, still haven't finished it though.

Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:29 am

LAWDY.

I just now played it. I had the best defense ever!
When I reached the 'cover' message, I found some H. Diggers that some dummies dropped. I took about 2 or so.

Then, I used the diggers on the base's floor to create 'trenches'. It was perfect! Though one of my bots got hit by a stray blaster, I was doing fine.

All of a sudden...

BOOM!

Gibs went A-Flyin' every which of way.

I still wonder what exploded...But anyways, GODLY EPIC MISSION.

Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next