View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Mission: [Ronin] Mining Post #032 

Post Re: Mission: Mining Post #032
This one is actually quite easy, but only time-consuming. The enemy isn't even after your brain, they're after each other. It's a mission that allows goofing off with special units and stuff.

Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:12 am

I was going perfectly until I accidentally headshotted by leader when he was about to be taken into the dropship... -_-"
I like what you've done with the weapons. They only have minor edits, but it adds a nice feel to it. Perchance you could have one actor as the 'tinkerer', giving them more greatly modified weapons.

Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:36 am
Profile WWW

It's like I'm really playing Team Fortress 2.

Fun mission, but the gold limit is way too high. I just returned everyone except the leader in a drop ship, and ordered a dummy with a heavy digger. After five minutes of digging and not even remotely close to getting to me goal, I ordered a digging laser and it still took 10 minutes. It's not like the enemies even come at you. I just put my leader on the roof and dug.

A mission with the same units would be fun if there was a big base to take over.

Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:50 am
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Maybe cut down on the units to four? One sniper (maybe some inf. c4 too?), one suppport gunner (minigun, grenade launcher), one leader (inf. pineapple nades?) and one medic.

I noticed that trying to control everybody was very hard.

Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:07 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Foogooman wrote:
After five minutes of digging and not even remotely close to getting to me goal, I ordered a digging laser and it still took 10 minutes.

You can hide and dig, achieving victory with little safe steps. Or you can hire a dozen of robots and manage them to dig without killing each other. Or you can steal weapons and actors, and then hunt for experimental laser rifles and dummy chips while practicing with custom sniper rifle. It's all about choice :) But I agree that this mission maybe lacks some thrilling episodes. I'll think about minor review of it a little bit later.

Lizard wrote:
Maybe cut down on the units to four? One sniper (maybe some inf. c4 too?), one suppport gunner (minigun, grenade launcher), one leader (inf. pineapple nades?) and one medic.

Yep, six are way too much to control. But you need somebody for digging in AI mode and the others for hiding :) Ronin are extremely fragile, especially for headshots, that's why I gave them medikit, some abilities in addition to those they already had and very powerful weapons. Ronin's life is short, but furious :)

Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:16 am

Requesting more 'assault the impenetrable stronghold' missions, since weegee is the god of missions anyways.

Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:15 pm

It's an awesome mission but really difficult.
I can't seem to find a good place to hide from bombing runs.

Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Post Re: Mission: Mining Post #032 [more pepper included]
True, these missions are insanely hard (or easy, depending on how you do it)missions, but then again, if you can beat them, it shows how good you are, or how much you rely on non-vanilla mods. Not that it's a bad thing...

Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:13 pm

I tried to order some Darklone turrets, but they were easily destroyed by the coalition and the dummy forces. I sent Mia to mine the gold while I had my sniper watch the coalition soldiers. When the coalition started to prevail, I had Dimitri snipe their reinforcements. A coalition soldier who was walking through spotted and killed my medic. Oh well. Gordon managed to down a coalition bomber with his rifle which heavily damaged the dummy forces. By the time I had 10,000 gold, I had to hide my troops from the enemies, who were completely pounding the crap out of the bunker and the map. I had Defred snipe some of the coalition forces with Dimitri's sniper rifle to buy Mia enough time to get upstairs and allow Dimitri and Gordon to escape in a dropship. I then shot down a bomber and evacuated Defred, Mia and Brutus.
That's how I did it.

Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:33 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Made minor updates for fair warfare. Reduced amount of money to gather for victory, 15K can be really boring.

Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:25 pm

It was 15,000 oz of pure full out war.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:42 am

This is brutal.

I raged when dummy rocket bombs blew up my ship during it's flight away. Except I actually survived that one, and retreated back to my hole. It was the evac try after that which killed me. A dreadnought put a bunch of holes in my engine, sending me veering off sideways, and the bottom of the ship hit the top of the bunker, which made it tumble to the ground on the other side, where it gibbed on impact. That was awesome enough that I couldn't argue with it.

The arduous digging is a real bore. But a constant direct threat to your fragile essential commander for 30+ minutes would make this absurdly hard.
And the extreme length does make the escape more intense than I've ever expected of CC.

Keep up the great work, your missions are excellent, but maybe tone it down a little on the difficulty? Definately do more >2 team missions though.

Edit: Just beat it, only buying two dropships and a heavy digger. Dafred never even got hurt. So I guess I should have evac'd Sandra at the beginning with the others, instead of leaving her alone in the dark underground.

Tip: Evac by having a dropship with open doors wait above the top of the bunker. Dig a surface access hole as Dafred out of your mining tunnels, bust out, fly up to the ship's tractor beam, and hope any snipers miss/hesitate. Get in, fly up about 30 pixels, and you've made it.

Last edited by Azukki on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:14 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Azukki wrote:
This is brutal.
Keep up the great work, your missions are excellent, but maybe tone it down a little on the difficulty?

It's quite tricky to balance difficulty. Add more delays or lengthy spawn intervals, and it will be boring. Give more money, and you'll waste dosens of clones for no reason. Some people use mods and any hardcore mission become piece of cake. Even Dark Clones are pretty tough guys compared to others. I test missions only with vanilla units and only with those weapons which belong to player faction. In Ronin case I don't even buy new ronin troopers as they are considered unique (only neutral robots). So if it's able to beat mission with this stuff it is considered playable with anything else. Maybe next time I'll try to make few versions with different difficulty settings, but I really think that hard missions bring more fun, because missions are rare and not so interesting after you beat them once.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:44 am

You certainly do have a point, about it not being as fun after it's been beaten.
Maybe go more for replay value? Although I'm at a loss for ideas to extend that much...

The use of unbalanced mods, I suggest you don't even consider it when balancing difficulty. It's cheating.
I'm not discouraging anyone from doing it, it can be fun, and that's the purpose of this and most games, but I'm just saying it shouldn't be considered in the balancing of difficulty for modders/devs.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:41 am

Azukki is right. This is a sandbox game, no need to set up restrictions. If the players never played the mission the way it should, then they're missing out part of the fun on their own choice.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next