View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Mission: Smash and Grab! [B25 - B27/B31] [Updated! 12/01/16] 

Mission: Smash and Grab! [B25 - B27/B31] [Updated! 12/01/16]
Smash and Grab!

Greetings commander! We have detected a priceless artefact on our scanners and have just fixed its location! Our gold supply is starting to get low and we could sell that thing to the tradestar for a fortune! The only problem is that the coalition have built a checkpoint outpost on top of it without realising that is it there. We need you to get underneath that outpost to recover this priceless artefact. Once you have it make your way to the bunker that is near the outpost, there should be long distance teleportation equipment there and you will be able to use it to make your escape! But be careful solider, once the coalition realise you are there they will send all that they have to try and defeat us.

Notes: Hey guys I thought we could all do with another mission so I put a few ideas together and I come up with this simple yet fun mission! I built this little scene and asked Weegee if he would kindly do the Lua for me and he generously accepted and so here it is!

Creation Info and Credits:

Me - Original concept inventor, scene creator and spriter/module creator.

Weegee - Talented scripter who made all my ideas come to life and made this mission possible.

Levelx - His treasure mod kind of inspired me to make this mission and he has let me include part of his wonderful mod in my mission.

Duh102 - Supplied me with the glow to finish my teleport station module. A glow which completes it and makes it look as good as I had hoped it would look.

Other Notes: There shouldn’t be any errors in this it has been tested thoroughly by Weegee and me but if you do find any please feel free to point them out to me so that I can get them fixed, constructive criticism and feedback is also welcome.

I hope I have made this mission a fair challenge as an easy mission is not as much fun so for the best playing experience I’d recommend only using Ronin reinforcements/weaponry but if you have to call in your own super troopers to get the job done I don’t think I could really blame you. :)

A little side note: The teleport console has to be booted 10 times before it is finaly fixed and so this gives you a decent stand off in the final bunker. If you wish to check the terminals boot status you can look in the CC dev console [using the ` button] where it will tell you. Maybe we should have put in an indicator but this has only just occurred to me and we wanted to see what the public thought of this mission.

In short I hope you enjoy my mission!

CBM02

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated: 12/01/2016

• B31 Fixed Version added.
  • Multiple code fixes. Should now work on B31.
  • Uploaded to Steam Workshop.

Updated: 05/12/2011

• B25 Fixed Version added.
  • Should now work on B26.

All hail Weegee! :P

Updated: 04/08/2011

• B25 Version added.
  • B25 brain death crash fixed.

All lua written, updated and maintained thus far by weegee. Thanks once again Weegee!

Updated: 17/01/2010

• Guards at the beginning that are guarding the towers now only call in reinforcements / are alerted if you kill one of them. This allows anyone that wants to dig silently to the artefact to do so. [You will still have to fight and defend yourself for the same amount of time at the end of the level.]
  • Messages have been added.
  • Crash error has been fixed!

Thanks Weegee!

Updated: 29/12/2010

Weegee has kindly updated the coding on this scene for me so that it now works with B24!

Have kept the B23 Version up for people who have not updated their CC by choice.

Thanks once again Weegee!

Attachment:
File comment: B31 Version! Updated: 12/01/2016
SmashandGrab.rte.zip [140.03 KiB]
Downloaded 1694 times

Attachment:
File comment: Fixed B25 Version!
FixedSmashandGrab_B25.rte.zip [130.03 KiB]
Downloaded 1723 times

Attachment:
File comment: B24 Version!
SmashandGrab_B24.rte.zip [130.03 KiB]
Downloaded 1800 times

Attachment:
File comment: B23 Version!
SmashandGrab.rte.zip [129.94 KiB]
Downloaded 2679 times

Last edited by CombatMedic02 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 19 times in total.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:01 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Mission: Smash and Grab!
Downloading now.Thank all of you very much for your hard-working
without you i can't enjoy this sweet evening :)
Xiexieni

Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:29 pm

This mission was probably hardest yet I've played. I know I had 1500oz to spend, but I played only using the 3 guys you start with. I did win, but I used exploits. Otherwise its a nightmare and probably impossible to beat.

This mission is great, but the lack of messages and announcements what is going on was a major drawback. Atleast when I started, I hated the fact that the alarm went of when I was quietly digging to the artifact and did not do anything to the soldiers in the base nor they did not see me at any point.
Whats even more funny is that when I killed nearly everyone in their base with the sniper guy, the alarm didnt go until I dug deep enough.

I did not check which way the alarm goes off (either an area I enter or its a timer), but still felt lame when I was being as quiet as possible while getting the stuff and the alarm went off like those ♥♥♥holes were omnipotent gods or something.

Then when it was time to escape, it got even more crazy.
I was underground with my entire team and above on the surface was a massive coalition army with almost no gaps to sneak through out of the tunnel.
When I managed to dig out of the underground with the artifact and fly to the second base to reach the teleporter, I had to sacrifice poor Brutus in order to create a distraction for the other 2 to pass safely.

When I reached the teleporter controls, both of my last dudes were wounded and Dimitry had lost his leg while Dafred had a bleeding hole in his head.
Just around the corner, the coalition was FLOODING its soldiers into the small cramped teleporter room with no way to hide or defend my guys while I was activating the teleporter.

Now do note that before downloading and playing, I did not read the note about the 10 boots required to activate the teleporter, so I assumed it would work after the progress bar would load fully. As I was in the last moments activating the teleporter, while a few more coalition dudes with machineguns were closing in it seemed like I would make...

THEN IT BSOD'd.

I was shocked and just stood there looking at the whole thing with a big "What the ♥♥♥♥" written all over my face. The soldier came in and slaughtered my guys without mercy. FAIL.

Now, I'd love these additions to the script:
-A better way to trigger the alarm (Like kill a soldier or get seen by them or enter their base)
-A clean message that is viewed that you have triggered an alarm and the coalition is angry.
-A message to explain the player the teleporter BSOD'd.
-Reduce BSOD count to 3. (Third time the charm, get it?)

Kind of like when the first BSOD comes, a message would come saying "♥♥♥♥, Rebooting, I'll try again..." Then on the 2nd BSOD it would give a msg: "DAMN, HURRY... CMON NOW, THIRD TIME THE CHARM GO!" and then a last message saying "QUICK, USE THE TELEPORTER NOW!!".

Theres also an crash error. Once I threw the golden artifact into the teleporter area and when the teleporter finally worked, I noticed the teleporter requires an actor carrying it so I jumped into the teleporter where the artifact was while the teleport was online and the whole game crashed.
(As if I teleported to the desktop lol)

But still, AWESOME mission. GJ guys :cool:

Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:15 pm

Thank you for the feedback Numgun, I am glad you enjoyed it. Maybe Weegee might be so kind as to add those little changes in for me or at least fix the error. I didn't know about the whole teleport to the desktop bug. Also I am not sure about the whole "three time's the charm" bit I like having to fight for survival at the final bit and don't think you'd get a good battle if it was only three times. Plus the console starts booting as soon as you pick up the artefact [as long as a friendly actor is standing by it] so you can always attempt booting of it while fighting your way to the bunker.

I'm going to hold off on having it updated for a bit until I get a bit more feedback just to make sure there are no other little errors and such. I think I prefer hard missions as they are more fun to play in the long run. :grin:

I completely agree that there needs to be a few more notifications of events though and I do like the whole "If you are seen the troops start dropping" idea but I'm not sure if that would require much editing of the script on Weegee's part [I'm hopeless at Lua] and I wouldn't like to have to make Weegee work too hard to change it because he's done so much for me just to get it this far.

I really couldn't have done this without him. Yay Weegee! :P

But yeah, it works how it is now so I'll have it updated after a few more people have played through it and have submitted feedback. :)

Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:54 pm
Profile WWW

I'm certainly not as good as numgun, I didn't get to teleporter room after few dozen tries. It's hard as hell ya'know? I'm starting to think that given gold is a key to success. And is it my imagination or bodies are more fragile than usually? And Coalists better aiming? ;)

Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:59 pm

Make each loading take twice or 3 as long as normal for the "3rd the charm thing" so you'd have to defend it long enough as you intended, but not be discouraged or depressed because the teleporter seems like it doesn't work at all.

Infact you not supposed to tell about the BSOD part at all in OP. Its a surprise the player needs to discover while he plays the mod. Someone who doesn't know ♥♥♥♥ about the whole system will be wondering and bashing his against the wall because he doesn't know what the hell is going on. Any normal player would assume that the teleporter will work right away the progress bar hits 100%.

I beat the mission this way:

I made the Commander dig a bit towards the artifact and the Sniper to take out all coalition units in the front of the outpost. Then I let Dafred dig deeper with GoTo and meanwhile sent Dimitry and Brutus flying towards the 2nd enemy base with the teleporter and murdered everyone inside.

Brutus died unfortunately while flying when he hit a concrete wall at full speed.

As Dimitry was hiding behind the tower at the right-most edge of the map and digging trenches, I let Daffred dig under the bridge and hid him there as the Coalition troops started coming after him. He didn't go for the artifact yet though.

Back at Dimi, I made him enter the 2nd base and start digging a massive hole at the bottom of the vertical shaft in the middle of the base straight down.
After I had finished making the large bottomless pit trap for future use, I put Dimi in the teleport room with a stolen Heavy Sniper and dug the floor for some trenches to provide extra cover.

Now the trap was set and I was ready to get the artifact with Dafred.
I dug a new tunnel to the artifact while Coalition troops were searching me aimlessly, so after retrieving the artifact I got back up under the bridge and dug through it, flew to the 2nd base while Dimi was busy warming up the teleporter.

My awesome "bottomless pit" trap was a great success and after about 10 BSOD both Dafred and Dimi teleported the ♥♥♥♥ out of there.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:18 pm

I friggin loved this.
Hard as hell to get across without exploiting AI idiocy. But damned good fun to try to do so!

Only problems I had was that one same crash. But besides that one time it runs fine and dandy!
I want to see more missions from you guys!
I DEMAND IT :D

Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:40 pm
Profile WWW

Something's off here. I never destroyed the artifact with the digger, the thing containing it was just made of dirt.
Attachment:
File comment: Wut?
Screen shot 2010-01-16 at 2.01.01 PM.png [85.98 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Shoot, I think it was destroyed when I went over the limit on particles.
Oh well.

Great mission, very fun, and exactly the right level of difficulty to keep me entertained.
But twice now the enemy dropship has appeared right above me, and then fell down like a massive crusher. Not sure why.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:20 pm

mmmmm.......where is the location ?

Is it dot doubled with the Zombie Cave misssons ?

Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:32 am
Profile WWW

It is on the up side of the mountain near maginot.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:03 am

Weegee has agreed to make the changes and fix the bugs for me *Yay!* so there will be little messages and things added for the next version as well as an alert system for the first outpost part of the mission. [You will still have to put up a great defence at the last bunker.] Also the crash issue will be fixed.

You didn't call in any extra Ronin Numgun? I'm very impressed. :grin:

@JangkrikBusterII:

Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:42 pm
Profile WWW

Just look at my screenshot !!! where is it ? the nearest was Facing Worlds. not Smash and Grab.

EDIT = look at difference between yours and mine

Inactivated all missions I have just for searching where is this missions

Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Hmm, let's see... oh. YOU TURNED THE MISSION OFF.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:15 pm

What's ? I'm never touch smashandgrab.rte. iI just extract, then, play. There is'nt this mission, so I turned off other mission ........ :grin:

Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:23 pm
Profile WWW

Well that was tested on a fresh build just to make sure people can see it and as you can see you can... It must be something to do with your build unless you've changed anything? :-(

Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next