View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Prison Escape: Episode 2 

Post Re: Prison Escape Episode 2
Prison Escape EP2 gone wrong! *SPOILERS*

Theres nothing more fun than take a game apart after you've finished it right once. :D

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:35 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Rashaln wrote:
Also, a small suggestion; maybe there should be some non-mechanical snipers or just plain guards on the roof, because picking through the bunker in reverse is much easier. Oh, and the three soldiers brought in by dropship at the start almost always kill(smash) eachother given a little bit of time.

Those problems are all fixed in the game, but whatever bug it is you're getting seems to be disabling it. There should be an invisible wall keeping you from getting to the roof and the opening characters are coded not to hit each other if the opening cutscene runs properly. Somehow it's not.
The strange part is, that error that you posted an image of is perfectly normal - it just means the level isn't designed for Skirmish mode. I'm starting to wonder what exactly is going wrong, but obviously something is not working the way it should.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:16 pm
Profile WWW

TheLastBanana wrote:
Rashaln wrote:
Also, a small suggestion; maybe there should be some non-mechanical snipers or just plain guards on the roof, because picking through the bunker in reverse is much easier. Oh, and the three soldiers brought in by dropship at the start almost always kill(smash) eachother given a little bit of time.

Those problems are all fixed in the game, but whatever bug it is you're getting seems to be disabling it. There should be an invisible wall keeping you from getting to the roof and the opening characters are coded not to hit each other if the opening cutscene runs properly. Somehow it's not.
The strange part is, that error that you posted an image of is perfectly normal - it just means the level isn't designed for Skirmish mode. I'm starting to wonder what exactly is going wrong, but obviously something is not working the way it should.

The Coalition soldiers that come in by dropship, I meant, sorry that was not made clear.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Ah. Yeah, those guys are kind of stupid. There's not a lot I can do about them, unfortunately. The AI just tends to do that.
I found the bug causing the first part of cut scene to skip, and now I'm taking a look at your problem with the invisible wall not keeping you back.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:26 pm
Profile WWW

Well you could make the room a tad bigger and set their destinations a bit further apart? Eh, I don't know, suppose complaining that a section is easy in spite of all the respawns is silly. (Unless that's another error, I can't imagine all the ways I could be unknowingly cheating in this mission.)

I just found it funny/disappointing that as I drilled through the wall with a rifle, they set themselves to puree.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

The problem is that the moment I let the AI shoot at you, their walking AI kicks in as well. When the walking AI kicks in, they all duck for cover at the same time. This usually ends badly.
Their AI kicks in as soon as they have exited the hallway enough that they can get a clear shot at you, so right where the opening is. This means they have just enough room to get stuck in the hall. However, if I make them walk much further, they won't even shoot at you until you've already been able to get a good 4 shots on them. I'll do a bit of testing while I'm working on other bugs, but I can't guarantee that I can get it working perfectly.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:37 pm
Profile WWW

Well I generally run to the left and let them walk to their destinations before shooting them (Or just stay on the right if I'm messing up the mission) and while standing there, not alerted or anything, they'll start strolling over eachother.

So I tested it in a completely clean install of CC, and the issue with the flight scene not playing, if Ep.1 is played and paused first, remains. I can still go back out through the front doors, stroll over the roof and enter the hangar.

Could you be using a special build of CC that is messing with you again?

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:49 pm
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

I haven't uploaded the new version yet, I'm fixing up a few other things first. Sorry for the confusion.
I think I've gotten the first set of guys to walk to a more desirable position now.
EDIT: Okay, it's uploaded. The first enemies should be less likely to crush each other (any crushing you see is just a result of the AI, I can't change that part), the first cut scene should play as normal, the wall should keep you back properly and I fixed a problem with the frag counter.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:51 pm
Profile WWW

Very well done.

The cutscenes worked nearly perfectly for me, except when I idly switched actors out of habit a couple times, which ended the display of the current message, but after the delay that message would usually be up, things worked again.

Lag really stretched out the cutscenes when nothing was going on other than the player reading dialog. Maybe in events like this, you could take the timescale into account, so the player always has the same effective time to read it?

The actual gameplay of this mission was so-so. My main complaint is that I didn't like how the enemy weapons acted so much as a shield for them, not breaking under gunfire, and still shielding their face. And then with the weapons you do want like the shotgun and the assault rifle, they're easily smashed into terrain when you go to pick them up. Maybe make all devices in the mission not get hit by MOs when in an actor's inventories, and then also made of whatever unsmashium the zombie cave control chip is made of?

Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:18 am

Quote:
The problem is that the moment I let the AI shoot at you, their walking AI kicks in as well. When the walking AI kicks in, they all duck for cover at the same time. This usually ends badly.
Their AI kicks in as soon as they have exited the hallway enough that they can get a clear shot at you, so right where the opening is. This means they have just enough room to get stuck in the hall. However, if I make them walk much further, they won't even shoot at you until you've already been able to get a good 4 shots on them. I'll do a bit of testing while I'm working on other bugs, but I can't guarantee that I can get it working perfectly.

You could give the enemies this code

Code:
function Update(self)
   self:GetController():SetState(Controller.BODY_CROUCH, false)
end

Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:50 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Manually overwriting the AI tendencies tends to not work/fail entirely, in my experience. Mostly because the current AI routines are in-engine, meaning they complete an entire logic process before lua can even tell them not to crouch.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:24 pm

Bit of a strange bug. Got to the end, the game told me to "Get in!" to the rocket. I did, as did Fiona and the rocket took off. However, as it reached the top of the screen Defred was ejected (the doors didn't open) and he was surrounded in the white light, as if he were respawning. I got 200 oz. of gold for the successful return of the rocket with Fiona in it, which I used to order a dropship. (Sidenote; I noticed that as soon as a ship arrived it immediately tried to head back up) I sucked Defred into the dropship and flew off. The mission still didn't finish, so I just exitted. Trying a second time now.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:55 pm

Yea it happened for me too a couple of times.

I don't think you can do anything about it, just restart the mission.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:13 pm

I requesd episode 3 of prison escape to include the zombbots (they hunger!).

Maybe have the main Ronin base under siege by them and then you have to kill the commander of the zombbots who is a larger version.

I suggest having unitec sentry guns keeping the zombbots back, they do that pretty well.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:44 pm

Let him think of his own, original, idea.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next