View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 My first map 

Post My first map
The other day I had a look at the file system and how graphics were arranged for Cortex Command, so I thought I would make my own map.

This is my first map, and currently features support for up to 2 players in (skirmish) co-op and is so far 10712x2048 pixels in size (2.5 times bigger than Dummy Assault). Eventually, I will add another base for 2 more players to support 4 players in two teams.

I did want to make a mission instead/aswell but I am unsure on how to script them. Also, there seems to be a bug with the gold and the boulder generation, they can appear in caves just floating in mid air and some can be in the way.

The map is called Tettaia Dusts.

Screenshot

Screenshot

Terrain

Here is the map

Or if that link doesn't work for whatever reason -

Attachment:
TettaiaDusts.rar [144.6 KiB]
Downloaded 580 times

Just extract the .rte folder into your Cortex Command directory.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:13 am

Post Re: My first map
This is a sweet map, and I know how to fix your gold and boulder issue. For the caves, make a bunkermodule that perfectly fills the area you want to not have them generated, and just make it all background.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:28 am

Thanks, but just so you know I made this in paint. I'm not sure I can make an exact copy of the cave areas alone in paint. I have photoshop, but the computer which it's on is broken at the moment.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:13 pm

Really awesome terrain. Nice. :)

Also, there seems to be a bug with the gold and the boulder generation, they can appear in caves just floating in mid air and some can be in the way.

Gold and builders spawn beneath wherever you paint grass (soil).
To make sure gold and builders won't appear in caves make sure not to use grass (soil) above these caves.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:28 pm

Thanks.

But well, erm, then they wouldn't be caves. There has to be soil above them eventually, even if i changed the ceiling to rock.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:14 pm

I think you misunderstood me. :)
See this pic:
Attachment:
CC material colours.bmp

Rocks and gold get spawned below the 'soil' colour.
So just replace the 'soil' colour with another colour on places where you don't want rocks and gold to mess up your caves.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:15 pm

terrain looks very sexy.
good job, especially for a first timer
ill probably test it out soonish.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:41 pm

Gotcha! wrote:
I think you misunderstood me. :)
See this pic:
Attachment:
CC material colours.bmp

Rocks and gold get spawned below the 'soil' colour.
So just replace the 'soil' colour with another colour on places where you don't want rocks and gold to mess up your caves.

Hmm, so you mean the material on the ceiling of the cave? Or if the soil is anywhere above it, it will spawn boulders and gold? I understood that, but I'm saying there has to be soil somewhere above the cave further up the sedements.

Or do you mean something else?

Quote:
terrain looks very sexy.
good job, especially for a first timer
ill probably test it out soonish.

And thanks, but it was incredibly easy and fast to do :P It only took about 2.5 hours to draw the main area, and then about 1.5 hours to draw the cave on the right of the base. Or I'm not sure, perhaps it was less than that.

Also, is anyone here good at 2d art; such as textures? I had the idea of installing functioning lockers into the base on the right in some of the rooms, but right now I do not have photoshop, nor am I experienced with it. The locker should look something like this (obviously with a texture) -

The number up the top is just an example, that should be an independant object perhaps; so when I have a row of lockers, they would be labelled with different numbers.

Their feature would be to store equipment such as weapons or tools, but have a limited holding capacity; that way you can put equipment somewhere safe if you want to use it later or take the load off of your bots. I know there is allready a drop crate, but that can be awkward and inconveniant to store things in and take them out.

Perhaps a use button added to the command menu would be useful, if that's possible; it could have other functions aswell later on.

Also the locker should have some kind of metal texture or, carbon fiber (or even heavy plastic?).

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Sort of like the storage crates for the maginot mission, but for items/weapons only?

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:32 pm
Profile WWW

Yes, exactly; and would look much better too.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:37 pm

Or if the soil is anywhere above it, it will spawn boulders and gold?

This. ;)

Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:00 am

I understood that, but I meant that the soil has to appear somewhere above it in the series of sedements for the surface terrain.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:16 am

Enforcer wrote:
I understood that, but I meant that the soil has to appear somewhere above it in the series of sedements for the surface terrain.

about the lockers, our friend gotcha! here has some lockers in his mod "unitech"
perhaps he would be kind enough to lend them to you?

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:28 am

Hmm, well I would rather they be authentic, as in new and unique to the map opposed to using something from somebody elses mod.

But still I'm curious to know what Gotchas' lockers look like, do they work/store equipment? Or are they just decorative?

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:01 am

Enforcer wrote:
Hmm, well I would rather they be authentic, as in new and unique to the map opposed to using something from somebody elses mod.

But still I'm curious to know what Gotchas' lockers look like, do they work/store equipment? Or are they just decorative?

In Gotcha's mods they are merely decorative (placeable background with sprites basically), but I have seen them used as functional objects that can be interacted with, such as in mail2345's Zomborgs Scene.

I've pasted his 3 separate variants of lockers together here:

Based on your ideal image of what you're looking for, it wouldn't take much editing of the lockers to get what you need spritewise, providing Gotcha allows it.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next