View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Mission (Coalition): Lab Exploration [updated update] 

Do you think the mission is
Too difficult? 15%  15%  [ 13 ]
Too easy? 23%  23%  [ 20 ]
Ok? 62%  62%  [ 54 ]
Total votes : 87

I won't post any pictures because the whole purpuse of the mission is exploration, so it would take all the fun out of it.

Here is your mission: Explore an abandonned lab and deactivate the EM field that prevents any communication/reinforcement with the exterior, and get as mutch intel as you can about the prototypes inside the lab, be careful for ronins are in the area and might have found the lab.

To collect information about a prototype, just go close to it, you will see a message in the lua console and it will become buyable for other activities once you restart the game.

Download:
Attachment:
File comment: The crab virus is now deactivated.
Lab Exploration-recrabbed.rar [1.3 MiB]
Downloaded 2941 times

Old:

You have multiple lives depending on the difficulty level, lives are shared between players if you play with other people.
Some corridors are blocked so pay attention to wierdly placed walls and always have a digger.
The mission is a WIP and is not finished, so please report any bug you find and suggest ways to improve it(or new prototypes).
The prototypes currently use vanilla sprites and I can't sprite so if someone was to give me some good sprites I would be very grateful.
Also I will make other prototypes and new rooms for the lab.
Enjoy!

Last edited by Mehman on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 24 times in total.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Post Re: [WIP]Mission (Coalition): Lab Exploration
Got an error.

Could you please fix it. I won't do it myself to avoid spoilers

Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:59 pm

Corrected, sorry. Please redownload.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:04 pm

Tried it five times. Died all the times because of random gibs from my enemies hitting experimental explosives which then killed me :/

I have some suggestions. Make so that all gibs are hitmos = 0 and gethitbymos = 0 or give the player a couple of lives. It is very cheap to die randomly like that and that is only fun when you can just order a new clone.

I really like the concept though. Maybe add some custom music, you can find some very good cortex command'ish music at dbsoundworks (he is actually the maker of most original cortex command music lol).

Hope you'll look into some of this as i really enjoyed the mission until the random deaths :wink:

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:20 pm

I increased the GibImpulseLimit of the explosives so that gibs don't trigger them, still an actor flying into it or stepping on it will make it explode.
Edit: And added some music, thanks for telling me about dbsoundworks.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:34 pm

This is not your fault in anyway and it is part of vallina cortex comand, but it is really annoying with all the lethal gibs. Tried it 3 times again and 2 of them i died by digging a door and the last i stepped on a grenade (that was completely my fault though :P ). Vallina cortex command is not very single unit mission friendly and you need to modify that before it is any fun. Only hardcores will proceed after dying randomly so many times and loose so much time because of it.

Sorry if I sound to harsh

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:03 pm

akblabla wrote:
Sorry if I sound to harsh

You don't, I'll give the player a few lives depending on the difficulty level.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:37 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

My guy just disappeared.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:54 pm

Post Re: [WIP]Mission (Coalition): Lab Exploration V1.03
Disappeared? Did you get a lua error? Did the game crash? What were you doing when he disappeared?

If you give me enough details I might be able to determine what caused the bug, reproduce it and remove it.

Also now you have multiple lives (10 in cake, 7 easy, 5 medium, 3 hard, 1 nuts, 0 nuts!), they are shared with other players if there are any.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:10 pm

Level is a bit uneven in difficulty once you find the prototypes. Meaning it loses all challenge.

Facility is a bit small and the win area doesn't make much sense, nor does it meet the "strange walls" criteria, forcing me to dig through every solid surface I could reasonably think of to find it.

Once I beat the map and saw the level in the mission editor I noted a hole off to the side...with nothing in it and dirt obscuring the path in a reasonable manner. I think this was meant to have one of the new experiments in it but right now it's kind of pointless and cryptic.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:21 am

Ok, first off, it's good to have more missions utilizing the new FoW system. Kudos to that.

However, the mission overall is not that spectacular.

There is no sense of direction. I know it is an element in "exploration" maps, but some indication on the general directions would be much appreciated. I'd rather have obvious directions but a longer travel distance between rooms, than to have vague hints.

The winning condition, as stated by the previous poster, is weird. It just came from nowhere. At least have a Ronin pack leader to assassinate or some lab equipment to destroy as the ultimate goal.

EDIT: Oh yea, the floating experiments are pretty cool. If accompanied by some bunker bits as decoration, it'll look like some real sci-fi lab stuff.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:39 am

Just a note, I found it kind strange that you repriced the regen coalition trooper, but not the revamped ronin team in the buy menu.

If you do end up expanding the map i would urge you to use the ventilation modules, they seem like they would work ell for this mission.

Also the flamers look really strange without the "sparks" that fire from the vanilla ones, just fire both and you'll see what I mean.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:11 am

Skillkill107 wrote:
Level is a bit uneven in difficulty once you find the prototypes. Meaning it loses all challenge.

I tried to change that in the new version.
Skillkill107 wrote:
Facility is a bit small and the win area doesn't make much sense, nor does it meet the "strange walls" criteria, forcing me to dig through every solid surface I could reasonably think of to find it.

Same here, it is now larger and the diggable walls are now easier to detect.
Skillkill107 wrote:
Once I beat the map and saw the level in the mission editor I noted a hole off to the side...with nothing in it and dirt obscuring the path in a reasonable manner. I think this was meant to have one of the new experiments in it but right now it's kind of pointless and cryptic.

Now there is something there.
The Decaying Soldat wrote:
There is no sense of direction. I know it is an element in "exploration" maps, but some indication on the general directions would be much appreciated. I'd rather have obvious directions but a longer travel distance between rooms, than to have vague hints.

What do you mean? Once inside the lab just go from one room to another to find prototypes.
The winning condition, as stated by the previous poster, is weird. It just came from nowhere. At least have a Ronin pack leader to assassinate or some lab equipment to destroy as the ultimate goal.
I added a message at the end, theire are also more enemies guarding it.
EDIT: Oh yea, the floating experiments are pretty cool. If accompanied by some bunker bits as decoration, it'll look like some real sci-fi lab stuff.

I'm an awful spriter so unless someone gives me some modules or sprites too make them it is not likely to happen.
Zeranual wrote:
Just a note, I found it kind strange that you repriced the regen coalition trooper, but not the revamped ronin team in the buy menu.

Now they are repriced too.
Zeranual wrote:
If you do end up expanding the map i would urge you to use the ventilation modules, they seem like they would work ell for this mission.

Good idea, i'll probably use it.
Zeranual wrote:
Also the flamers look really strange without the "sparks" that fire from the vanilla ones, just fire both and you'll see what I mean.

I'll see what I can do about that.

Updated to V1.10:

added 2 prototypes
the walls blocking corridors are now easier to detect
added a checkpoint
got rid of some annoying bugs
expanded the lab
medium digger added to your equipment
snow added
tried to make it easier at the beginning and harder at the end
gave the player more lives

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:38 pm

Post Re: [WIP]Mission (Coalition): Lab Exploration V1.10
When loading version 1.10 I got this:

Abortion in file .\System\Reader.cpp, line 534, because:
Referring to an instance ('Lab Exploration.rte/Experiment 6') to copy from that
hasn't been defined! in Lab Exploration.rte/Scenes/Lab Exploration.ini at line 1616!

The last frame has been dumped to 'abortscreen.bmp'

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:05 pm

Post Re: [WIP]Mission (Coalition): Lab Exploration V1.10
I tried and it works on my computer, try a total deletion of the mod, re download it and install it.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next