View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Prison Escape: Episode 3 

Post Re: Prison Escape: Episode 3
This should be way more popular than it is.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:31 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

The Scene Releases section is pretty quiet recently. Even weegee (who releases high-quality missions a lot faster than I do) isn't getting much attention. I guess the problem is that missions are kind of a big undertaking, so not many come out, and as a result, people don't check here often. Or, maybe people just don't want to play full missions for the game anymore. I don't really mind - I've already had my fair share of praise in other mission releases - but it would be nice to see the section revitalized a little so that things like this don't go almost entirely unnoticed. Unfortunately, I don't really have any ideas as far as reviving the place goes.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:13 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Making a "Scene Releases Contest"?

That would be cool, but making missions and stuff isn't something simples, so I wouldn't expect many entries.
But damn, we could find new talents and stuff. I could even try coding missions.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:18 am

I could definitely try getting a mission contest running, and even different themed missions perhaps.

Number of entries might not be too high though, considering the regular mod contests themselves don't see many entries.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:31 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Yeah, my only concern is that it's a lot of work to make a mission. It would have to be a pretty long contest, too.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:02 am
Profile WWW

forgive my ignorance, but don't you need to know lua to make a mission? I think, for me at least, intimidation is the main reason for not making one. they look difficult

I'm going to try and make one, but maybe a community project would get more results than a contest.
pick a mission everyone would love to see made and invite everyone (knowledge of modding or not) to come help.
explain how it works too all throughout the build process, for the benefit of those of us that never made one

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:46 am

I check the Scenes page as much as I check the other two Mod pages, that is multiple times a day.
The way I see it, one of the big hurdles for the creation and release of missions over mods is mod integration into the in-game scene editor, second only to actually being able to save the scene.

As it is, without editing the scenes.ini in base.rte, only the vanilla content is usable in the scene editor. This makes it a little daunting for people to get into making cool new scenes to share with the community, since even if they do mod their scenes.ini they must then manually (or cunningly with a script of some sort...) change all the references in their scene to the modules that they added to their scenes.ini back to the module they came from so that the scene will not cause the game to error on loading. That is if they even get their scene to save in the first place, which they will not without manually adding a scenes folding to the rte module they are planning on uploading to the community before they hit the save button. Even then, trying to Test the scene from within the editor usually (maybe always) results in a crash, or closing CC launching it again only to find that the scene is nowhere to be found on the planet map, and having to manually edit the scenes ini file to get it to show up.

Having tackled all those issues, the finished product scene is still then no better than the activity which is often created by someone else... which leads to salt's commentary on learning lua.

A contest could very well be a great idea to spark more activity, though I think two contests might be better, one for scenes (by which I mean a scene you play with pretty much any skirmish type activity) and one for full mission scenes that have built in activities.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:17 am

Finally got around to doing the prison escape missions
Ronin is now my new favorite faction Moar ronins plozox
But seriously this is the greatest mission series ever made play dat ♥♥♥♥

Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:04 pm

Asatruer wrote:
I check the Scenes page as much as I check the other two Mod pages, that is multiple times a day.
The way I see it, one of the big hurdles for the creation and release of missions over mods is mod integration into the in-game scene editor, second only to actually being able to save the scene.

As it is, without editing the scenes.ini in base.rte, only the vanilla content is usable in the scene editor. This makes it a little daunting for people to get into making cool new scenes to share with the community, since even if they do mod their scenes.ini they must then manually (or cunningly with a script of some sort...) change all the references in their scene to the modules that they added to their scenes.ini back to the module they came from so that the scene will not cause the game to error on loading. That is if they even get their scene to save in the first place, which they will not without manually adding a scenes folding to the rte module they are planning on uploading to the community before they hit the save button. Even then, trying to Test the scene from within the editor usually (maybe always) results in a crash, or closing CC launching it again only to find that the scene is nowhere to be found on the planet map, and having to manually edit the scenes ini file to get it to show up.

I only just started with scene making and I haven't encountered much issue at all in using the scene editor. I'm making a lua driven mission thats going to be part of the next release of my mod, and so far everything has been pretty flawless. The lua driving the scene is basically a copy paste and edit of the official scene scripts, with my own shoddily written (but working) parts kinda crammed into to it.

Prior experience with how mods work certainly helps, but everything is going pretty well for my first attempt at a scene. It's also rather fresh in terms of setting and content. Giant ice lake, armies of robots.

Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:07 am

Squeegy Mackpy wrote:
Giant ice lake, armies of robots.

I hope there's a part of it where you have to shoot the ice to drop the bots to the icy waters below. *wink wink, nudge nudge, Badger Badger*

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:21 am
Profile YIM WWW

Definitely an awesome finale, TLB. Finally got around to it, as it's been awhile since Ep 1 and 2. Only thing for you to do now is lace them all together as one cohesive mission.....BWAHAHAHAHAHA.....

EDIT - Here's my stamp of approval:

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:30 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Haha, that's hilarious. I was going to do a graphic of that for the end credits, but decided not to in the end. The "AS SEEN ON TV" really makes it, though.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:12 am
Profile WWW

I am so, so sorry. It took me far longer to finally play this than it should have. Incredible job, TLB, truly top-notch.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:21 am

Will it be episode 4?
lol

Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:23 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Heh, probably not. I don't really know where it would go from here, and I think I've extended the gimmick of only controlling one actor as far as it can go - level would probably start getting fairly repetitive unless the gameplay was vastly different from normal CC-style walking and shooting, in which case I'd probably just make a separate total conversion. That said, someday I might polish this series up, make it all a bit more consistent (i.e. using the same respawn system) and tie them together into one package. We'll see.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next