View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 One Squad Army 

One Squad Army
It is the first release so I expect to have bugs, please let me know if you find anything.

I'm not sure on the licensensing since I used the base script of "OneManArmy.lua".

It allows more then one player into the one man army game mode, it also allows dropcrates, and limits the ai in dropcrates and rockets to two instead of three. The timer has been changed to minutes:seconds and the game difficulty decides if you get grouped with your squad and what weapons you spawn with.

Something I wasn't able to do was to make "Ally" appear of the heads of all your squad members, as objectivepoints are team based not player based as far as I know. I didn't want you to have an ally thing floating above your own head so I didn't add it.

Attachment:
OneSquadArmy.rte.rar [9.86 KiB]
Downloaded 905 times

Last edited by Zaneo on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:38 pm

Post Re: One Squad Army
Whoah, what's with the 12 page license? :0

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:48 pm

Gotcha! wrote:
Whoah, what's with the 12 page license? :0

That is all the legal code for this, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

which might be a little easier on the eyes... and isn't as bad as the 12 pages makes it sound.

EDIT: Unless you plan to modify the script then you really don't even need to read the license, not that I am trying to dissuade you from doing so.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:56 pm

Well, just saying, In all my years of Mod Development on Many Hi-End and Indie games, I have never seen a 12 page License!

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:57 am

Unless I accidentally pasted it more than once, and assuming you haven't actually read it and are just going off the comments. It was a hyperbole that I probably shouldn't have reiterated. All the license says is give credit if you reproduce it, you can't have a more restrictive license if you redistribute as a work of your own. Finally non commercial, any of which can be waived with permission.

EDIT: 463 lines, including white space. So what a page?

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:08 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I've never seen a mod creator for CC use CreativeCommons.
It's not like it really even matters, anyway, nobody is gonna steal this script for anything. Even if so, they will probably ask for permissions, so it isn't theft, and.. yeah.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:46 am
Profile WWW

Ah, well I'm new to modding in general. I didn't mean to sound like I thought it might be stolen, or that the people here would do that. The community I learned to code said it would probably be a good idea to include a license.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:40 am

Well, it's only a tiny mod and you can't really use it outside of CC.
I'd be less surprised if you had such a long license attached to a humongous mod with homemade sprites and sounds and all that.

But enough about that license already. :oops:

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:48 am

Miggles wrote:
I've never seen a mod creator for CC use CreativeCommons.
It's not like it really even matters, anyway, nobody is gonna steal this script for anything. Even if so, they will probably ask for permissions, so it isn't theft, and.. yeah.

Minor mod Dump, Duh's Mods.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:31 am

I am also working on an updated ai for the drop-ships, so they can better avoid crashing into each other, and react better to bullets that tip them. I might end up making a AirController Actor or something, and it can schedule all drops to prevent that even more... but that is for later.

Old: http://imgur.com/a/NERIt#0

New: http://imgur.com/a/aTGa2#0 (still in beta)

Edit: In both cases the ships were called to the same spot, with a 2 seconds delay in between ship spawns.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:23 am

Any constructive criticism, ideas or problems?

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:03 pm

I never use that game mode and I play alone as well, so can't help you there.
I dare take a guess that this is the case for most people, so I don't think you'll be getting a lot of feedback. :???:

Also, I find it more fun to have a One Man Army match through a standard activity like Skirmish Defense, since this'll allow me to pick a different brain. (I recall that the One Man Army activity gives you a Coalition soldier?)

Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:07 pm

It does but I was considering giving players a small amount of funds at the start and allowing them to choose a unit and gun. I am concerned about balance though, would there be anyway to blacklist buyable items? As some of the guns can be a little over powered. Do you think it would be a fair trade off to limit the money to spend on guns depending on the character picked?

The way I editted it thus far is to give you from a heavy brown coat to a light soldier depending on difficulty. Along with the weapon you spawn with.

My friends and I play the game together so that inspired the team play a bit.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:55 pm

You should make it like faction based squads, if its coalition it should be 1 guy has a rocket launcher or a mini gun, another has an assualt rifle and a few granades and so on.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:02 pm

Hmm which of these, if any would be most suitable :

• Each squad member is selected randomly from a preset.
  • Above, but preset is consumed. (Only one of each preset at a time)
  • Presets are statically assigned to player positons.

Any ideas on how I could allow the user to select the faction they wish to get units from?

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next