View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Shellgame Breach Activity and Additional Breach Scenes 

An acronymically palindromic mod.

I'm a big fan of the bunker breach activity, but the vanilla scenes are few, small, and predictable. This mod adds seven additional scenes, four configured to mesh with the vanilla Bunker Breach, and three set up to take the new Bunker Breach (Shellgame) activity. They aren't much, but I hope they're fun to play.

The shellgame activities are special, largely because they're my first, if feeble, attempt at using lua code. In a normal Bunker Breach scenario the brain is in a static location, thus making the mission inherently predictable. The Bunker Breach (Shellgame) activity uses multiple brain areas to randomly place the brain each time the scene is reset. And so, without further ado, here are the scenes.

Vanilla Breaching Scenes

1. Hatchetbeak Bunker
The scene pictured at the top of this mod. It's big, bad, and full of bastards who want to kill you. It's the first one of these I made, and I'm still quite happy with the way it turned out. Watch out for snipers. Non-wrapping.

2. Volcano Lair
Fun little nip, decent twist when you get around to the bunker. Entertaining to play, and another scene that I'm quite happy with. Grapples might be recommended.

3. Upon a Hill
Didn't turn out quite as well I'd hoped. This scene is ugly as sin in the editor, but the fog of war redeems it when it's actually played. Again, not one that I'm entirely happy with, but it plays well enough. Requires jetpacks or creative dropship antics.

4. Just Deserts
Similar to Hatchetbeak Bunker at first blush, but it's a bit different in the main course. Good for a straight-up gunfight with a lot of blood. Non-wrapping.

5. Nova Cotris
Experimental scene that surprised me greatly. Disorderly, bloody, and with excellent enemy gold production. Enemy forces are very, very fluid by design.

6. Storm King Bunker
Very large, influenced heavily by the secret passageways of the vanilla Dummy Assault bunker. Multiple ways in, multiple shortcuts inside the facility.

Shellgame Breaching Scenes

1. Towers
An expansion of some of the architectural influences from Hatchetbeak Bunker. Interesting, a great deal more of a pain to make than I had anticipated, but interesting. Secure but confining LZ. Three possible brain locations.

2. Mines
Smaller than I had intended, but I realized late in creation that I had neglected to leave a safe LZ for the player and thus was forced to scrap plans for the third mine. Only two possible brain locations, but long bunkers each.

3. Fox Hills
The first of the Shellgame scenes I designed, and still the one that best showcases the activity. Each of the mini-bunkers has between two and four defenders, but believe me, that's more than enough to dust your knuckles on. Six possible brain locations.

4. Outpost Cain
Not entirely sure what I think of this one. It is technically proficient at killing assailants, but I'm not sure how many variations of the Shellgame bunker can be spun with vanilla parts. Four possible brain locations.

FAQ

Attachments:
File comment: Old Version
MoreMissions.zip [42.02 KiB]
Downloaded 2283 times
MoreMissions V0.2.zip [58.59 KiB]
Downloaded 3085 times

Last edited by Draignean on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:46 am

Post Re: Shellgame Breach Activity and Additional Breach Scenes
Man, I've been hankering for some new bunker breach maps, thank you for making this. :grin: The random brain placement sounds trick.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:01 am

Awesome! I really love the Bunker Breach activity. Always thought it'd be cool if the bunkers were randomized but more maps is the next best thing! Good work, man!
EDIT: Whoa, ♥♥♥♥! The brain placements were randomized? Even cooler!

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:16 am

I love the FAQ!!! :D

Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:47 pm

My thanks to those who have downloaded, and as much again to those who have posted. Still, considering that this is the first pack of maps that I have ever allowed to touch the forums, I would certainly enjoy feedback on the maps themselves. Constructive Criticism, Rambling Reviews, Angry Appraisals, Exuberant Examinations, Innocuous Inspections, and all other manner of alliterating analysis are welcome.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:18 pm

I like this guy, can we keep him? :P

Bunker Breach definitely needed more scenes. Will check these out after I've had some (late) lunch.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:34 pm
Profile YIM
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Had some fun with the new Bunker Breach scenes. They sure are well made and fun to play.
Kudos to you, good sir. I hereby support Arcalane's notion of keeping him.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:57 pm

Just played Hatchetbeak Bunker. Fantastic, and a very lively start! Also, have I just not noticed new background scenery in 1.0 before now, or are you responsible for those gorgeous clouds? Will definitely be crawling, smashing, and bombing my way through the other scenes on my next day off. Also, the Shellgame concept is a wonderful addition to a game like this. Thank you!

Also, you seem like a fascinating creature. Do stick around, yes?

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:23 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I've just got one doubt.

Why Shellgame Breach Activity?

Otherwise, your awesomeness is noted and if you don't become inactive you will become a beloved modder.
Jussayin'

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:42 am

Asklar wrote:
I've just got one doubt.

Why Shellgame Breach Activity?

Purest whimsy. It communicated what I wanted to communicate while being a palindrome when reduced to an acronym, a facet of its nature that tickled my fancy greatly. I enjoy things that are interesting, and conveying information effectively, while inarguable in its effect, is rarely interesting. Take the FAQ for an example. Every other question is something that is either nonsensical or thoroughly tangential, but I cannot doubt that it succeeded in entertaining at least someone for a few short moments, a feature that would have been lost had I put my efforts into making it an effective and easily readable FAQ.

In short, I would rather be interesting and entertaining than effective and clear. To play in the shadows of an obfuscated truth is a great deal more fun than to be rendered blind by its elucidated brilliance. Take that opinion with a grain of salt, however, as one must be careful to note that I am quite mad and rather liable to recant my own heresy at any moment.

Mirefrost00 wrote:
Just played Hatchetbeak Bunker. Fantastic, and a very lively start! Also, have I just not noticed new background scenery in 1.0 before now, or are you responsible for those gorgeous clouds?

I thank your for the fine compliments to my most earnest attempt to kill you, but I, regrettably, cannot claim credit for those clouds. That particular background layer has been available since at least B26, and since sighting it I've had to fight myself to not make every map a cloudy map.

As one last note to those who have expressed interest, I am, sadly, not sure how long I can remain here, or how far I can grow beyond the shade I've already cast. The Bunker Breach (Shellgame) activity was something of a one-hit wonder, requiring so little lua alteration that it can scarce be said to have happened at all. Perhaps I will learn more, and perhaps I'll find time to stay beyond a few simple maps, but I can make no promises. I will endeavor to entertain, but my heart, and thus the greater leash on my leisure, is in another forum.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:33 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Every and each of your posts is a master piece.

You've just gotten into a new area of my respectometer, mind you, the highest one you can achieve in so little time, though not the highest possible.

Anyway, why don't you try to learn more lua and try to create a mission/game mode entirely by yourself? It's pleasing to see modders coming to this section instead of mod releases.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:19 am

Draignean, you have an absolutely wonderful mastery of the English language.

If you have little experience with lua, perhaps you could ask weegee for help? He certainly knows what he is doing when it comes down to complex background code, and you clearly know how to make entertaining scenarios to be murdered in. Together you could make some pretty fantastic missions.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:59 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

These bunker designs are fantastic! I had a really good time fighting through them, and found myself surprised when going around almost every corner. This kind of user-created scenes is exactly what I was secretly hoping for when I built the bunker breach scenario.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:13 am

These show up in campaign mode. Any way to fix that?

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:06 am

@Collective: Add the following to the .ini file of each scene:
Code:
MetagamePlayable = 0

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next