View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Mod Contest 4 | Voting 

Which mod is best, according to the criteria?
Poll ended at Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:51 am
AbsolutelyHarmlessCorridor.rte - Harmless Modules 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
ATrapModule.rte - Zombie & Reactor Modules 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
HousePlant.rte - Killer Plant 53%  53%  [ 19 ]
Mine.rte - Mines 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Safe Corp.rte - Safe Corp. 17%  17%  [ 6 ]
Smackfloor.rte - S.M.A.C.K.E.R. Floor 17%  17%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 36

Mod Contest 4 | Voting 

Post Re: Mod Contest 4 | Voting
Areku wrote:
MaximDude wrote:
No fudge way. Although it lags like fudge, there are absoutely no errors. I made sure of that.
And yes, IsEmitting() is a function.

The console just says "attempting to call nil method :IsEmiting() =...".

But you are right, I searched the wiki and IsEmitting is a real function. The problem is that my game doesn't understand that... :???:

Well, I'll try making a fresh install and see if it works.

Just tell me, does it say the error is in 'ItsATrap.lua' or in 'DeathToIntruders.lua'?

If it is on 'ItsATrap', then you can ignore it.
It is the Destroy(self) code which doesn't work and I forgot to remove, though it does not affect the Update(self) code, so everything should work fine.
If it bothers you, just remove that chunk.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:39 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

AbsolutelyHarmlessCorridor.rte
      Originality: Worked the same as you would expect - just shreds things that enter.
      Humor: I could see this being funny in a multiplayer battle.
      Looks: The light looked nice, and the awesome face blended in.
      Functionality: I don't know what you people are smoking, but it works fine for me. Are you using an actor of the opposite team? This one checks for that, and for that I commend it. On the other hand, the FPS drop during skirmish was not appreciated.
      Overall: 5/10. It works, but it's kind of bland. On top of that, there's really only one trap, and lags to all hell on skirmish.

ATrapModule.rte
      Originality: A poison room was a nice touch, and set it apart from the others a bit.
      Humor: Again, great in multiplayer when your friend comes in with massive weapons and is left with a zombie. Reactor made me chuckle.
      Looks: Fits in with the other bunker modules very well in terms of modularity. Poison was from a mod two contests ago, and I still don't like the way it looks :P
      Functionality: Zombie maker was kind of interesting, but I don't like the fact that the zombie just stands there. It should probably either do something or die immediately, which would give the impression of the person who just came in having turned into a poisoned corpse. The reactor was actually kind of useful.
      Overall: 8/10. Did the job, and was definitely a booby trap. Wasn't entirely to my tastes, though.

HousePlant.rte
      Originality: The classic man-eating plant, but done in a way that has never been seen in CC before.
      Humor: Light Soldier: 90 oz. Rocket MK1: 50 oz. Watching a potted plant grow, destroy the ship, eat its cargo and barf it onto a wall: Priceless.
      Looks: Offsets were a bit off, and it wasn't the greatest sprite. Always fires its tongue in the wrong direction before consuming its prey the first time around.
      Functionality: Works great as an offensive defense. Didn't give me any errors.
      Overall: 9/10. Aside from some graphical improvements being needed, this one is getting my vote.

Mine.rte
      Originality: Mines. Saw that one coming :P
      Humor: Boulders kept things fresh. Nobody expected that one.
      Looks: Not particularly exciting, but fits in with vanilla content, which is a good thing.
      Functionality: There's not enough room for the boulders to spawn, and on top of that, they're made of foam. It took me a good 10 seconds before I was dead, and that was just a collision glitch with my helmet making my head explode.
      Overall: 7/10. Bland, but plentiful in the very least. It could be used for base defense fairly well.

Safe Corp.rte
      Originality: Great. Plenty of traps.
      Humor: Would be fun to watch enemies try to get around it, but they never get past the first part.
      Looks: All the hidden pieces look like scrap metal, and the lasers are clearly visible. Very nice.
      Functionality: A bit big and clunky. Second-to-last trap didn't go off for me. The rest of them worked fine, though. I don't like that the first trap stays up once it's on - it makes it night impossible to get around.
      Overall: 8/10. Lots of interesting traps, but not all of them work the way I would have hoped.

Smackfloor.rte
      Originality: I've already seen this somewhere... Wait, that was during the beta testing stages of the conveyors. My mistake.
      Humor: Makes for a very bloody ceiling. AI is horrified by it.
      Looks: It's one pixel off from fitting with base bunker modules - tisk, tisk. Aside from that, it looks fine.
      Functionality: Very well thought out. There's actually a dip in the concrete on the bottom for catching falling bits of smashed enemies so that it doesn't get clogged up. It also works just the way you would expect it to.
      Overall: 9/10. I would have voted for this one, but that one pixel off is driving me insane.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:59 pm
Profile WWW

Safe corp needs to learn about mo rays.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:27 am

Post Mod Contest 4 | Voted
This was a tough decision but I voted for the safe corp fortress.

The tie breaking element was the sound alarm. While it could be annoying if several ai bots stood under them for too long, the warning to go save my brain helped me more than once. However, when I used the particle accelerator inside the fortress, the lasers reoriented to my mouse. The pit wasn't all that bad for me. The ai would get 3/5 actors over the pit.

The houseplant was cool, but its tongue range kept it from the top spot. I hadn't noticed it healing but that sounds like it should balance it out.

While the reactor worked splendedly, the zombie chamber tended to clog after a while. The clouds stuck around the emitter for some reason. While shooting it didn't free them, smacking an actor into it released a super explosion of zombies. I blew off the roof to unclog it with bombs occasionally, but the craft kept turning into zombies.

The harmless corridor worked well enough for me, during a skirmish even. Testing it in physics test rather than a normal scene may have had something to do with it.

The smacker was cool, if tall.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:33 pm
Profile WWW

@Nzen you forgot about the mines

Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:40 pm

Absolutely harmless corridor : Useless, it lags so much that placing 1 makes the game unplayable.

Smack floor thingey : It works perfectly, except for a shared flaw with all others.

The only one that works right is the mines. the boulder traps dont work right. also plants work, technically.

I have a huge complaint about all of these. We where told that all traps must be activated, or set, before use, such as an on switch. they can not be static and always working. the only mods in this contest that actually follow this, to that definition, are the mines, and safe-corp, because they don't "always work" there a one-shot. you can't turn the plants on and off, you can't turn the harmless corridor on and off, you can't turn the smack floor on or off.

The result is that only the mines and safecorp are still acceptable, the rest are disqualified. My vote's going to the mines, which sucks.

Mines Vs Safecorp.

Safecorp was more fun, it made me lol a few times, but some of the traps don't work, and they don't work all the time. it should honestly been each trap as a module, instead of one set module. also it does not line up with normal bunker modules, and it looks like crap, other than the boulder.

Mines actually work, they line up to normal bunker modules correctly, and they look nice, there just needs to be a way to manually reset them. like a mine-placement gun. that can snap in place (make a particle that checks for terrain above below, and next to, and centers in it somehow)

so Mines work, safecorp sort of works, Mines fit, safecorp doesn't. Point goes to mines.

the problem is the mines only have vertical corridors, it also needs horizontal ones.

Oh yes, and ATrapModule doesn't show up in the buy menu that i could find.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

It doesn't matter that you can't turn them on or off. The only one that really breaks that rule is the Smacker Floor, but that one can still be avoided, so it's OK in my book.
You can turn the plant off by using drop. It's then activated by an enemy walking nearby.
The harmless door is activated by somebody walking under the light. It can be turned off by shooting out the light.
What I meant by that, as I have explained a number of times, is that you can't just have something like a laser that is always going and will kill anything going by no matter what. The laser should be turned on when an enemy passes through a trigger, or shoots a certain enemy, etc.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:20 pm
Profile WWW

@Miles: Apparently, ATrapModule is located in Bunker Systems.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:21 pm
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

If I'm not totally off in my mental calculations, about 10 hours remaining for those who haven't voted yet. If you haven't voted before, now would be a good time to do it.

Going by the current vote tallies, it looks like we have monolithic win syndrome again. One item gets all the votes, ahead of the pack by half of the total votes, and the other places are decided by one or two.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:21 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

At least the weekend modfest turned out pretty fair.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:24 pm

Duh102 wrote:
Going by the current vote tallies, it looks like we have monolithic win syndrome again. One item gets all the votes, ahead of the pack by half of the total votes, and the other places are decided by one or two.

Well, is there anything that can be done to prevent this? The regulations seems specific and clear enough this time, doesn't seem like the problem of the contest host.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:43 pm
happy carebear mom

I wasn't saying there's anything wrong with the way it turned out, just commenting on the pattern.
People just seem to like one entry above all others, consistently.
EDIT: It also tends to be the most Lua-rific mod. I suppose the novelty of Lua still raises a lot of eyebrows.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:01 pm

Perhaps 1st Place, 2nd Place and 3rd Place should be more directly influenced by voters.

For instance, if one mod is clearly 1st, and I vote for it because I feel it should win, then I forfeit any say in what mod I feel should have placed second, as my vote is spent. So for this contest, I voted for who I thought should place second, simply because I knew who I felt deserved first would get it with or without my vote.

If there was a way to tally everyone's choices for 1st, 2nd and 3rd, it would probably remedy the "One Mod On Top" skew somewhat.

Though, I would not know how to do this unless you either:
-Make 3 separate polls were used (one for each place), which unfortunately would be confusing and clunky.
-Have everyone simply post their 1st, 2nd and 3rd picks (removes anon voting, but can be remedied by the method below).
-Have everyone send the contest thread starter (probably Duh102) a PM with their choices for each place, and he tallies them up silently. Would be more work on Duh's part though.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:50 pm
happy carebear mom

Another option, I can make it so that voters pick multiple mods. It's directly in the poll options, 1 by default. I can bump that up to 3 for next contest, if people are interested in such a method.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:17 pm

But then people could vote 3 times for the same one couldn't they? and how would we differentiate the votes? we'd probably end up with 3 first places, one is supposed to be first, one second, and one 3rd. but which is which? what if people disagree on first place but everyone votes for the same thing for second, second place becomes the first place winner, and thats kinda dumb.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next