View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:21 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Piracy. 

Post Re: Piracy.
Azukki wrote:
If I had a nickel for every time that form of argument was used in an online discussion... Wow.

Maybe enforcing unchanging adherence to the intellectual property law under all circumstances isn't invariably suitable to a circumstance? The reasoning for IP law is to protect the creators or owners of the property.

it's stealing, end of story :cool:

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:42 am
happy carebear mom

mail2345 wrote:
argument

This is all fine and good, but it's for updating copyright law. Not piracy.
PIRACY (in the sense we're talking about here) IS BAD. Go fight to change copyright law, not a losing battle of acceptable piracy.

Oh, one more thing.
ProjektTHOR wrote:
The Pirate Bay lawyers are some of the most competent patent lawyers, and they weren't able to argue TPB out of its legal dilemma.

The RIAA or whatever just went for the most visible section of piracy because they're tired of spending money doing piecemeal smalltime jobs. Another will simply pop up, and this will all happen again.
Arguably, TPB isn't responsible for the legality of the material on it's tracker (it's even in their privacy policy), so I'm not sure of the solidity of the case against it. I leave that for legal experts, however.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:42 am

Duh102 wrote:
Arguably, TPB isn't responsible for the legality of the material on it's tracker (it's even in their privacy policy), so I'm not sure of the solidity of the case against it. I leave that for legal experts, however.

that's funny, because they call themselves the pirate bay, which kinda implies that they exist just for helping people steal things

but that's just common sense, which isn't too common apparently

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:44 am
happy carebear mom

cambiogris wrote:
kinda implies that they exist just for helping people steal things

A name is a name. There are plenty of names that imply other meanings, but the entity it stands for need not follow the meaning of the name. Take, for example, Best Buy. You would think they have the best buys for computer equipment, right? How about the U.S.'s War on Terror? Microsoft Customer Support? Hell, why not Dell Customer Support. The name implies a meaning that is not exactly followed.

tl;dr, legal precedent in names (or anything, actually) is not my forte, go argue with a lawyer.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:57 am

cambiogris wrote:
Azukki wrote:
If I had a nickel for every time that form of argument was used in an online discussion... Wow.

Maybe enforcing unchanging adherence to the intellectual property law under all circumstances isn't invariably suitable to a circumstance? The reasoning for IP law is to protect the creators or owners of the property.

it's stealing, end of story :cool:

That's also a simple and common one.
State argument as fact. Declare opposition as beaten. Cool face.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:59 am

To the TBP naming disscussion:
Scientology.

Anyway, Azukki as I said in the US, IP is to advance art and sciecne.
US Constitution wrote:
To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:01 am

zalo wrote:
Here's my opinion on Piracy.

Dapaperboy is banned.

Forever.

What did he do?

I'm assuming he pirated CC... hell he might have been the one who made that b23 crack.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:06 am

Duh102 wrote:
The name implies a meaning that is not exactly followed.

right, and in this case the name implies a meaning that is followed to the best of their ability and involves mass copyright infringement robbing thousands of companies billions of dollars of possible sales

your call.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:09 am

@RaggedDruid
When you want to know what a thread is talking about, it's best to read the thread instead of asking for the content of it to be summarized again. Basically, if you're not going to bother with reading the thread, you shouldn't get to have it spoon fed to you.

Last edited by Azukki on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:09 am

RaggedDruid wrote:
What did he do?

I'm assuming he pirated CC... hell he might have been the one who made that b23 crack.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:10 am

Oh, I see.

He's an idiot for doing that.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:17 am

I can't even begin to comprehend the level of ♥♥♥♥ STUPID in this thread.

Starting from page 1:

cambiogris; if you could read and comprehend basic sentences, you would of known right off the bat how RaggedDruid justifies piracy. Don't like DRM, don't pirate or buy? What if I want a game, but don't want some shitty software that comes with it. See: Windows and Internet Explorer. ♥♥♥♥ retarded solution.

Grif; EA is a corperation, comprised OF people. DRL is a small group of people. So small that perfect communism could succeed. Your analogy regarding murder is an over dramatization and incredibly stupid.

war_man333; your argument about EA's game support is completely out of place, has NOTHING to do with piracy or why you should/shouldn't pirate.

MaximDude; no such thing as a legal torrent? You are a ♥♥♥♥ retard that fails to comprehend the idea behind a torrent. Torrents are a way to provide faster, cheaper mean of providing large files to a large number of people. See: Ubuntu. They provide a free, legal operating system. It's even open source for ♥♥♥♥'s sake. They provide several torrent links and yet somehow what they are doing is illegal?

joost1120; you wouldn't steal a Ferarri if you couldn't afford it? Well what if I did? What if I really want a Ferarri and couldn't afford it and decided to go out and steal one? You can't use ethics to justify something because not everyone has the same ideals as you.

Too much stupid to continue; my fiance called and I've run out of steam.

Torrent/pirate/crack whatever you want. Buy it later on if you want.

It doesn't matter who made it, theft is the unlawful procurement of a good or service that has monetary value. Obviously if EA or DRL tacts on a cost to their software or any part of it; obtaining it without paying for it is theft. You are either OK with stealing from people/corperations or you aren't. No matter the the self justificating reasons.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:46 am

Kelas wrote:
cambiogris; if you could read and comprehend basic sentences, you would of known right off the bat how RaggedDruid justifies piracy.

uh, no? hence why I had to ask twice after reading the original post. "stealing from big companies is okay, small companies is bad" tells me what the idiot OP believes, not why he believes it.

lern2rhetoric

Kelas wrote:
this is also TFI (totally ♥♥♥♥ illegal) and completely wrong morally, they make demos for a reason and it's not difficult to rent a game

end of story

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:52 am

Kelas wrote:
this is also TFI (totally ♥♥♥♥ illegal) and completely wrong morally, they make demos for a reason and it's not difficult to rent a game

end of story

If you're gonna use an abbreviation that needs to be explained, don't use it.

Again you can't use morality to argue something because as you find it immoral, I find it moral. You make the same type of argument that religions use. "I'm right because this is what I think. You should think the same thing or you're wrong." Good job.

Demos are teasers, nip slips if you will and are usually levels of content that are not available in the retail version of the game.

Renting also ties into the 'no money' argument. If you can't buy something, chances are you can't rent it for 80% of the original cost. Renting can also cost more than buying it.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:58 am

Kelas wrote:
Again you can't use morality to argue something because as you find it immoral, I find it moral. You make the same type of argument that religions use. "I'm right because this is what I think. You should think the same thing or you're wrong." Good job.

except religions use that argument on victimless crimes and in this case there is a very clear crime where an artist puts time into developing something instead of working a 9-5 job where money is guaranteed, and people decide to steal their product en masse, guaranteeing them nothing at all

your artist earns no money and has to go out of business and back to the white collar world

good job on the blanket statement. retard

Kelas wrote:
Renting can also cost more than buying it.

wow, if i could find new releases for $5 i would buy them in a heartbeat

i wish i lived in your town

Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:03 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next